Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I read about some people in NE somewhere who bought an old house. The siding was getting pretty bad so they tore it off to replace it. Under it they found that the house was made of 6x6 solid oak timbers in excellent condition. They didn't replace the siding.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Used to have an exclusive contract to do the flooring in motel 6 and their subsidiaries in the late 80s early 90s . Found things and genres I didn't know existed. My kid just today sent me pics of a .32 cal percussion cap mouse trap he found in his new farm . That one is interesting, and it still works. He loaded it and tripped it.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Used to have an exclusive contract to do the flooring in motel 6 and their subsidiaries in the late 80s early 90s . Found things and genres I didn't know existed. My kid just today sent me pics of a .32 cal percussion cap mouse trap he found in his new farm . That one is interesting, and it still works. He loaded it and tripped it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Found these in an old house we were tearing down. They look like silver with a bad tarnish. Don't have a clue what they are.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several bags of old silver coins. Helping a buddy rehab an older home that owners were forced to sell and go into assisted living. Was able to get them back to the previous owners.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Moved into the current house about 3 years ago. House was 16 years old. Cleaning up the attic space over the garage, making shelves and storing stuff, came across a photo album wrapped in two walmart bags and shoved under the flooring.....

Previous owners were fond of each other................. VERY fond of each other!!!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I read about some people in NE somewhere who bought an old house. The siding was getting pretty bad so they tore it off to replace it. Under it they found that the house was made of 6x6 solid oak timbers in excellent condition. They didn't replace the siding.

that happened to my brother as well. except the wood wasn't oak and the bottom course of logs was pretty shot. his quick rental remodel has turned into a multi year log cabin rehab. he has completely redone it and is finishing up the wiring, plumbing and drywall now. what a project.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was doing a minor remodel on a river house we bought, and in the utility closet wall, there was an antique fly rod and reel. Probably from the 50's. Looked new.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went in to an old house that several neighbors swore was haunted. Some story of disappearances years before and strange noises since then. One neighbor said she would see a light move though the electricity had been off for some time - whatever. I got in and checked out the dusty old place. I made my way into the single upstairs room with one of those slanted ceilings. I banged into the wall a second tme and it sounded hollow. When I pushed on the corner it vry slightly popped open as if it was meant to. I pulled and it opened it and heard the sound of a wind and there was a far away smell of something rotten. I heard movement and decided I imagined it. Stuck my head in and heard it again and thought I saw a feint, quick flicker of light. Like a pair of eyes . I worked up some nerve and started to crawl in when i realized those rumors were true. I can't write more because arghhhhh..

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Was doing a minor remodel on a river house we bought, and in the utility closet wall, there was an antique fly rod and reel. Probably from the 50's. Looked new.
Stuff from the 50's is antique? Ouch!!!

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kenjs1
I went in to an old house that several neighbors swore was haunted. Some story of disappearances years before and strange noises since then. One neighbor said she would see a light move though the electricity had been off for some time - whatever. I got in and checked out the dusty old place. I made my way into the single upstairs room with one of those slanted ceilings. I banged into the wall a second tme and it sounded hollow. When I pushed on the corner it vry slightly popped open as if it was meant to. I pulled and it opened it and heard the sound of a wind and there was a far away smell of something rotten. I heard movement and decided I imagined it. Stuck my head in and heard it again and thought I saw a feint, quick flicker of light. Like a pair of eyes . I worked up some nerve and started to crawl in when i realized those rumors were true. I can't write more because arghhhhh..
Dang squirrels will pick some strange places to die, eh?

― George Orwell

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Absolute weirdest was a blow up doll with "her" arms handcuffed behind "her" back in a run down trailer we had to clear off a lot I bought.

Reminds me of finding a blow up doll with a dead guy on top. Died of a heart attack. He was actually found by his daughter and she called it in.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Not a house but an old barn being torn down, a guy I know found a bag of gold coins from like 1860’s. Of course word of something like that really got around. Before he could get them appraised someone broke in and stole the safe he was keeping them in. The family was gone for just the evening on Christmas Eve. Someone was keeping an eye on it.
Before the coins were found it was local legend that Jesse James gang made their way through after the infamous Northfield Minnesota bank robbery. They did swap horses with a homesteader in the area according in their family history.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Absolute weirdest was a blow up doll with "her" arms handcuffed behind "her" back in a run down trailer we had to clear off a lot I bought.

Reminds me of finding a blow up doll with a dead guy on top. Died of a heart attack. He was actually found by his daughter and she called it in.

Dang. He wanted to go out with a bang.....

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guy I once worked with had some rental properties. One was getting re-habbed and he found a German Luger behind a sheet of plywood that was in a stairwell in lieu of drywall. Another guy was doing plumbing work in a rehab and found an old Ortgies ( sp?) German handgun up between the basement rafters at the top of the basement wall when he was running some pipe. Both guns got sold; the Ortgies was surprisingly good looking but not a real valuable piece. Never saw the Luger but I heard it wasn't all that bad and I don't recall how much he got for it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bought a home from the original owners that had gone into assisted living.

Went into the crawl space to inspect the furnace and duct work and found a Lazy Boy recliner and a few cases of unopened Coors from the early 2000s. Also a stack of Popular Mechanics magazines.

Stacked against the foundation walls were thousands of neatly organzized cans and bottles of Coors from the 70's, 80s, and 90's.

This was the guys escape room........

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A friend of a friend was renovating the basement in his early 1950's build house and found a dirty old rifle in the floor joists covered by the ceiling. With the Canadian laws and fearful wives I ended up with the rifle as the closest person with a license.

Quick inspection showed a 1912 manufactured K98A in what looked like really bad shape. In the end the horrible looking bore was just a lot of oil and decades of dust, the very dark stock cleaned up very quickly with warm water and soap. It became a very fun rifle renovation and ended with my one son who is real history buff.

On my own I have found: lots of dead insects and rodents, early 1900s tack for farm horses.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We had an old log cabin on our farm built in the 1860’s. My grandfather stored glass jars and junk in it. All garbage! When I went looking for treasure I found it in the strangest place. The walls were covered with cardboard wallpaper. Underneath the cardboard was perfectly preserved 100+ year old Heart Pine Wood. Some had termite damage but it was still a pickup truck or more of good boards. Saved a few to have something built from it and sold the rest to a friend building a new house. We also have a couple of tables built from the beams that were salvaged from the cabin.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not valuable but still interesting, I thought. When I was working in Real Estate, I got into a lot older homes to show them or just inspect them. I discovered that at one time, people used newspapers to insulate their attics. In a few homes, I found attics with maybe 3-4 inches of newspaper insulation, newspapers dating back to the 1920's and even earlier. These papers would crumble instantly to tiny flakes if you tried to pick them up, making the homes absolute fire traps, one spark would be all that's needed.

Last edited by jnyork; 09/13/20.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
When I was still retired, hadn't returned to full time work again, my nephew and I got a job cleaning out a house after the decedents personal property had been auctioned off. The executor said we could have anything we found that we might want. Among some of the stuff we kept were eight wooden decoys from a noted regional carver. They were appraised at several hundred dollars each. In the green houses on the property we found several shed snakes skins over six feet long.

My late father was a golfer. One day, while looking for his lost ball in the woods at the golf course, he came across two canvas bank bags that were rotting away and contained almost two hundred silver dollars. Given the age and condition of the bags, they'd been there for years. Given their location along the side of the golf course, people must have passed within a few feet of them thousands of times.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
112 members (10gaugemag, 338reddog, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,310 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,850
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.