Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RIO7

R-26 scares the hell out of me in heat of summer, I worked with it last year and had pressure spikes, that seemed to come from no where, I would like to use R-26 as I have a bunch of it but, I won't live long enough to use 1/4 of what I have. Rio7

Bet you could swap that RL-26 for RL-16, if you put the word out...

DF

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I got some early R-26, a couple of pounds to try. It is definitely slower than the jugs I bought a couple years later. I was using loads that were over 3% beyond Alliant's data before I got near their speeds. The lot number of the R-26 jugs seems right on with the data.

My R-16 experience is the opposite. I bought a couple pounds right after it came out, and it's burn rate is MUCH faster than the data. I can't even get beyond Alliant's starting loads, and those even look spicy. Velocity was nowhere near what Alliant claimed. I should try another lot number and see how it is.

I'll wait until it's out a few years before I buy the next new powder.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bought a 6.5 CM because I got a great deal on it. Browning X-bolt. 3 1/2 inch group at 400 yards with factory Federal Premium 135 gr Berger.
My friends rip me for the most part.
“ you hear about the two gay guys that said let’s go in and have sex. We will worry about the Creedmoor’s tomorrow.”
One friend named it the “storyteller”. He says I will come back to camp about noon and tell about one that I wounded that got away.

I have two other friends that have them and love them. I was lucky enough to draw my antelope tag here in Oregon this year and I’m going to take the 6.5!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

HuntnShoot, Me to, instead of 40 rifles could get by with 20. Rio7

That's funny right there smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We need to get the Creed lovers and the Creed haters together for a tug of war. Losers buy the beer and bbq!!

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

HuntnShoot, Me to, instead of 40 rifles could get by with 20. Rio7

Funny right there! I could too maybe but I just bought 3 more.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like the Creedmoor just fine and use one for M-S. I have built rifles in 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Rem, 6.5x55, 6.5x57. 256 Newton, 6.5/06, 6.5/284, 6.5 Rem Mag, and 264 Win. It's all just brass. The brass is a powder holder and a gasket. Capacity makes a difference to powder choice but case shape means little. GD

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That is not the conclusion I've come to after trying a bunch of rifles (both factory and customs from very good makers) in most of those chamberings, including 8-10 6.5 Creedmoors in both "cheap" factory and expensive custom rifles.

I sincerely doubt the Creedmoor has any advantage over the 6.5x47 Lapua-except for being chambered in some very accurate and affordable factory rifles, and a bunch of very accurate and affordable factory ammo.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I am not a fanboy of the 6.5 Creedmoor. But I have more than enough experience with a wide variety of them to understand why it became so popular

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Within limits, that is all I have found. 260's shoot just as well as Creedmoors if the rifles are built to the same specs. so do 6.5x55's. 65/06's seems to shoot just the same as 6.5x284's. Now, when rifles are built to different specifications, performance is likely to vary and this is the advantage the Creedmoor has. It was conceived a an accuracy cartridge and all rifles built for it benefit from that. This is especially so regarding ammunition, I suspect. GD

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Creed had the advantage of wise timing. Excellent rifles, great Ammo, fast-twist rifling, and maple mag boxes elevated a proven winner to new heights.

Nothing a determined 260 Rem fan could not have done 25 years ago. And yeah, I own a Creed. Gonna sell the Barrett and buy another .....

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Also, ample mag boxes. But maple ones would be cool.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just finished verifying rifle, scope, and ammo at 400 yards.

Over the counter 6.5 Creed, & factory 143 gr. ELDX ammo - consistently less than 1 moa out to 400 yds.

Time for Elk camp.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago, I purchased a pristine 1917 6.5 Swede because it was still in cosmoline (or equivalent), had a mirror-bore and all matching serial numbers (I seriously doubt it had ever been fired). I thought it was a "wimp round" but the rifle was $199 at Dunham's. I began to research for handloading and found an absolute DIAMOND of a caliber and rifle (printing 3/4" groups at 250 yards). Due to the Mauser not being scope-friendly, I had my gunsmith drill and tap the barrel for a sporter-mount Burris 2-7 handgun scope with phenomenal success.

Then I read GregW's account of taking his little-people to Africa using a .260! I now had the confirmation of my suspicions for the numbers the Swede was turning in. Sadly and aggravatingly, I'm a work-a-holic and never actually hunted with it, just printed groups and made and broke hunting plans.

Now roughly 15 years after the purchase, I've accepted that my real-world fun comes from shooting tiny groups (though they're still with heavier hunting bullets, just in case!!! hahahahaha). I love the Swede, but with the handgun scope, it just ain't cuttin' the LR boundaries. I knew the Creed was taking all of the thunder from other, fantastic 6.5 calibers(!) and began searching for a 700 Magpul in .260. Any other caliber need not apply for less than $1,000 on a good day. The little, forgotten-about .260 was $660 out the door and I raced 1.5 hours away to pick it up (I couldn't wait for shipping!) Long-story short, after break-in, the first 2 shots at 100 yards were in a ragged-hole (from the bench, I actually thought I missed the target and began messing with turrets to compensate!) I'm mostly done with load-development (just messing with seating depths, now) and 43.1 gr of H4350 is getting me 2656 fps and 0.513" group (best of 4 loads in the same vicinity of group-size) with 140 SST's. By the way, all this accuracy with a Tasco 3-9x40 that I had sitting at the back of my safe (I'll be getting a Vortex soon). The reticle covers up all of the bull's eye at 100 yards and I was guessing with every shot whether I was in the same point-of-aim, or not. (I have pictures, but couldn't figure out how to post them here).

So, my question: SOCOM compared the 7.62 NATO vs. the .260 vs. the 6.5 Creed and UNANIMOUSLY picked the Creed. All I have are ballistics charts and, to me, the Swede, Creed and Remi are triplets. My Swede is phenomenally accurate, same with my new .260, so what leap of technological excellence am I missing?

Last edited by CAPITALIST; 09/08/20. Reason: Edited for grammar errors and to keep focus on the main topic

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

"Normal" isn't coming back; Jesus is!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Down here on the border in S.Texas, R-26 can't stand the heat, only time we can use good R-26 loads is mid-winter, R-16, H-4350, or IMR-4451, work better. Rio7

I just tried RL-26 this summer in 90 degree temps, are you saying I need to check them this fall in 40-50 degree temps. What about the 20 degree temps?

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
The Creed had the advantage of wise timing. Excellent rifles, great Ammo, fast-twist rifling, and maple mag boxes elevated a proven winner to new heights.

Nothing a determined 260 Rem fan could not have done 25 years ago. And yeah, I own a Creed. Gonna sell the Barrett and buy another .....

yes your right and it also has this neat name CREEDMOOR and its the hot new cartridge so that makes it a little more special and the average guy can find ammo easy ,cheap and the cartridge is accurate. i like it because people buy them from me . GRIN > the Creedmoor cartridges are good for all of us, people buy Creedmoor rifles and shoot them ,we all needed something new and exciting in the world of guns.

Last edited by pete53; 09/08/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Puddle

Over the counter 6.5 Creed, & factory 143 gr. ELDX ammo - consistently less than 1 moa out to 400 yds.

Time for Elk camp.

ai would not use the ELDX on elk. Just me, but I have read/seen too much variation in their performance. I would take a standard Interlock long before I would take the ELDX.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by sbhooper

Time for Elk camp.

ai would not use the ELDX on elk. Just me, but I have read/seen too much variation in their performance. I would take a standard Interlock long before I would take the ELDX.

Have you seen the 143’s flying to pieces out of the Creed? I know they aren’t A-Frames but I wouldn’t think the 143 would have enough stink on it to get torn to pieces at the 2700’ish from factory ammo.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They don't. Except in Nebraska....

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z

Time for Elk camp.

I've had a fair amount of deer hunting time (no closed season) with my Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor and agree with sbhooper. Preferred choice for elk (or wapiti as we call them in my part of the world) would be the 140 gr Nosler partition. I've shot quite a few red deer with the 143 gr ELD-X and had a few less than ideal outcomes such as large shallow wounds and also some shots that have hardly expanded and pencilled right through. I wouldn't use that bullet on large red stags which are massive in my area, not far off elk size. The Nosler partition is still, after all these years, one of the most reliable and best killing bullets available. Even so, I prefer my .308 with the 165 gr NP for large stags to the 6.5 CM with the 140 gr NP.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by zeissman

Time for Elk camp.

I've had a fair amount of deer hunting time (no closed season) with my Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor and agree with sbhooper. Preferred choice for elk (or wapiti as we call them in my part of the world) would be the 140 gr Nosler partition. I've shot quite a few red deer with the 143 gr ELD-X and had a few less than ideal outcomes such as large shallow wounds and also some shots that have hardly expanded and pencilled right through. I wouldn't use that bullet on large red stags which are massive in my area, not far off elk size. The Nosler partition is still, after all these years, one of the most reliable and best killing bullets available. Even so, I prefer my .308 with the 165 gr NP for large stags to the 6.5 CM with the 140 gr NP.

Absolutely correct.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 14 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.