-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Mom was a Texan, born and bred and I've got relatives all over down there. I worked at Bastrop for a short time but never 'et at Snow's. BBQ differs a lot from region-to-region and somebody in Texas might make St. Louis style or whatnot. I've been to so many different BBQ's that it holds no magic for me. If I was down there and hungry, why not? I ain't driving very far for "the best" BBQ though.

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I miss the corner Shell station BBQ place that folded in Boerne a couple of years ago. All I needed and never ran out.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There’s some bbq joints in Wichita, KS that will give any a run for the money. Happy Trails was

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
I miss the corner Shell station BBQ place that folded in Boerne a couple of years ago. All I needed and never ran out.
Back in the early 90’s we used to go to a little country store in Leon Springs that was the original Rudy’s. It was a real country store then, and they sold their BBQ across the counter there.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Barbecue is a lot like chili. Everyone swears theirs is the very best. In reality its all good wherever you are.

Only exception to the chili and barbecue rule I can think of is Cincinnati chili - that stuff is kinda gross unless you grew up eating it.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WAM
There’s some bbq joints in Wichita, KS that will give any a run for the money. Happy Trails was

I may be wrong, and I’m sure they’re damned good, but that’s a different type of bbq that what’s being talked about here. That’s actually the type my buddy and I cook in competition. This stuff is salt/pepper/meat/coals.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Oklahomahunter,
That’s what real bbq beef is to me. SP,Beef,Fire. Here, we were taught those elements and varieties of oak wood.
Simple food. But, great talent to make great bbq consistently. I’m talking back yard talent.
Dizzy said “Podnuh if you can do it...it ain’t bragging!”
Sure makes weekends great as weather finally begins to break. Commencing Thursday two weeks ago thru past Friday we’ve had 13” of rain. Time to dry out and get back to the fire.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
Originally Posted by WAM

I may be wrong, and I’m sure they’re damned good, but that’s a different type of bbq that what’s being talked about here. That’s actually the type my buddy and I cook in competition. This stuff is salt/pepper/meat/coals.

There is a shop in Springfield, MO, about a mile south of the Johnny Morris' Taj Mahal, called City Butcher. They're from Austin. Their brisket is cooked with 'salt, pepper, and love'. If there is a place that serves better burnt ends in the country, I'd like to know where. No sauce on the meat, and you don't need to dip it in sauce at the table. Unfortunately, the times I get to Springfield is usually mid afternoon or evening and they're sold out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by WAM

There is a shop in Springfield, MO, about a mile south of the Johnny Morris' Taj Mahal, called City Butcher. They're from Austin. Their brisket is cooked with 'salt, pepper, and love'. If there is a place that serves better burnt ends in the country, I'd like to know where. No sauce on the meat, and you don't need to dip it in sauce at the table. Unfortunately, the times I get to Springfield is usually mid afternoon or evening and they're sold out.
I'll have to look for that place. There's a Rib Crib right north of the Taj Mahal and we usually stop there. Rib Crib for a fair sized chain, used to be pretty good. Seems to not be as good any more and the prices have become just as high as any other bbq joint-they used to be reasonable.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by EdM
Back in the early 90’s we used to go to a little country store in Leon Springs that was the original Rudy’s. It was a real country store then, and they sold their BBQ across the counter there.

They still do but overrated IMO.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by EdM
They still do but overrated IMO.
I agree, nowadays. Back then though, before all of the growth of the company...it was pretty darn good. We’d also sometimes go to Bill Miller BBQ in San Antonio.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by WAM

I'll have to look for that place. There's a Rib Crib right north of the Taj Mahal and we usually stop there. Rib Crib for a fair sized chain, used to be pretty good. Seems to not be as good any more and the prices have become just as high as any other bbq joint-they used to be reasonable.

East side of Cambpell, in a shopping center, Starbucks is on the street, they're in the center to the east of Starbucks. Sell the meat by the pound, plus sides. All the sliced pickles and onions you want. Heck, the pickles are almost worth stopping for. smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I will get my share of great home BBQ at Snow’s Traditional Bowshoot at their farm just north of Pleasanton Kansas on Sept. 25, 26, 27. Less than an hour drive for me. Ain’t no need to go to Texas.

No need to skip all the good BBQ joints in and around Kansas City to go to one in Texas.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by WAM

East side of Cambpell, in a shopping center, Starbucks is on the street, they're in the center to the east of Starbucks. Sell the meat by the pound, plus sides. All the sliced pickles and onions you want. Heck, the pickles are almost worth stopping for. smile
I know where that is. I can't recall the exact storefront, but I know the shopping center. I'll have to look for it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We still have a few little BBQ shacks like that around here.

Not of the acclaim of Snow’s.

Nonetheless, we have little spot 15 miles out in the sticks called Shiloh BBQ.
It was operated for 40+ years by Jap Smith. Not Japanese, just a name he went by.

He died and his son in law (I think) operates it now. Fri, Sat and Sun till 2pm.

Sunday’s are no guarantee that you’ll get any. They sell out.

Pretty good, used to be better when the old man worked it. Something is slightly off, not enough to stop going. 😃

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by EdM

Used to stop there regularly when we had the lease in Sonora. The dry sausage was as good as the bbq. I guess the Rudy's must have hurt their business.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have not been to Snow’s and I’m sure it’s good but BBQ in Texas is as trendy as modern country or designer jeans.

The list of places that had the hour waits dates back to the 90’s.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll never wait an hour to eat anywhere. Can't be that good but I ain't a bad cook.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Lots of good BBQ joints and the magazines are always looking to promote a new one. I don't pay much attention to the ratings and would not wait in a long line at the most famous ones when I can get really good BBQ at others. Like EdM mentioned, there are a lot of little hole in the wall joints.

I remember stopping at one that had a sign claiming to be the best BBQ in Texas. They fell short of the mark. In fact, they didn't rate par for Texas BBQ. The brisket had no smoke flavor and almost tasted like canned meat, and the sausage was bland.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I caught a cookin show playing on a tv in a doctor’s office. Maybe it was that show where that traveling tattoo’d fatfugg tried eat everything. On his way to eat rotten ducklings or some chit.

Anyway, some BBQ joint they stopped at on the way, they got a sandwich plate and a couple of sides, it was like $35 for just him.

no bbq is worth that, good or best, still. Just seems over the top.

It’s $11-12 a pound for pulled and $8 for plate lunches. Add $3-4 if you want brisket or go hog-wild on sides.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,308
Posts18,468,178
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.