Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in the market for a new compass. I've run Swedish made Silva Rangers and Suunto MC2G for the past 15 years. My Ranger was lost in my Kansas City donation a few years back and I cant find my MC2G.

In reading reviews of the newer models, the Silvas are not made in Sweden and I'm seeing mediocre reviews on both the newer Rangers and MC 2G.

A number of Sweden made Silvas are on fleabay and I'm inclined to go with 1-2 of them.

What are you guys using?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Unfortunately, I'm a compass loony, got too many name brand vintage compasses to list...but the one in my day pack..funky Cammenga military. The one in my watch pocket is an old US contract Wittenauer, as far as I know, been in service in my family since before WWII. Gathering dust are the Bruntons, Dietzgen, Lietz, Lufkin, Silva , Suunto, Keuffel & Esser etc etc. If you're not running property lines, anything will work. You can see the stupid ugly Cammenga well before daylight without ruining your night vision.

Last edited by flintlocke; 09/13/20.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mr Winters:

I used this "Engineer" liquid filled compass for many years. Don't remember where I bought it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

UNTIL I got this Compass Ap on my I Phone

I've tested it in many places AND with the Airplane Mode ON & OFF
I've never found any diff and it doesn't require internet

I don't carry the liquid filled any more.

Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use a 35 year old Silva Type 16. 1.5 oz's, and does what I need it to do.

However, I've been thinking of getting a new compass with adjustable declination for a couple years. There's no way I'd own a Chinese made Silva. For me Suunto is the way to go. I'd get either the Suunto M-3G Global Pro or M-3 D Leader.

Andrew Skurka has a nice long term review of the M-3G:

https://andrewskurka.com/long-term-review-suunto-m-3g-global-compass-adjustable-ultralight/

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I still use Silva. I have 3 or 4 different models that are anywhere from 20 to 45 yrs old, including a Ranger if I want to get serious.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have several Silvas. Keep them in my bird hunting vest, big game pack, truck. Like a lot of things I have they’re old but always work.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]create image url free

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Unfortunately, I'm a compass loony, got too many name brand vintage compasses to list...but the one in my day pack..funky Cammenga military. The one in my watch pocket is an old US contract Wittenauer, as far as I know, been in service in my family since before WWII. Gathering dust are the Bruntons, Dietzgen, Lietz, Lufkin, Silva , Suunto, Keuffel & Esser etc etc. If you're not running property lines, anything will work. You can see the stupid ugly Cammenga well before daylight without ruining your night vision.

+1 on the military lensatic compass. I still rely on the one that got me through the Special Forces Qualification Course at Ft. Bragg many years ago. I have a couple of smaller ones but I never use them.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Watching this.....

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
When elk hunting in Colorado I always carry a military lensatic with tritium reference points in a pocket of my pack. No matter where I hunt, I always wear a Military wrist compass on my watch band with tritium markings

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an old Silva. I tried one that was a phone app but it drained my battery so much that I uninstalled it. Don't remember whose it was but I try to save my battery life for OnX.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still use my Suunto MC2. It's worked well for years and until it breaks or I lose it I'll continue to throw it in the pack.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Recent thread on the subject: Best maps and compass - nothing electronic ?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Guys, I'm not being smart to or about anyone.

I've hunted National Forest and Big farms in Arkansas, La (Louisiana), Miss., and Alabama.

I've never needed a compass capable of things y'all need or have used.
I think (?) I'm glad.

I'm learning so y'all carry on.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Mr jwall, A man has to know his limitations. And I know mine, hunting chukar in Eastern Oregon in rolling sagebrush just after a snowstorm, dense fog rolled in, as it does, footprints obliterated, no sun, no distinctive terrain features...I never was lost but the pickup was. Deer hunting, snow, rain, fitful circling winds, dense rolling re planted forest, changed direction of hunt 10 times to keep nose in wind...I never got lost but the pickup was. Elk and lodgepole pine, about the same.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall

I hope you are, but I’m doubtful...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Heck, I carry a compass, an iPhone, and a GPS. I seldom use them, but I got them if needed. To answer the OP's question, I like Silva's.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

WHO cares ? I don't

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

WHO cares ? I don't

Jerry

Why do you bother clogging up good threads with ignorance? Do you just love the sound of your own computer keys clacking, or is it something else?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Mr jwall, A man has to know his limitations. And I know mine, hunting chukar in Eastern Oregon in rolling sagebrush just after a snowstorm, dense fog rolled in, as it does, footprints obliterated, no sun, no distinctive terrain features...I never was lost but the pickup was. Deer hunting, snow, rain, fitful circling winds, dense rolling re planted forest, changed direction of hunt 10 times to keep nose in wind...I never got lost but the pickup was. Elk and lodgepole pine, about the same.

flint - I do understand that complex compasses are NEEDED in some/many places. (context hunting) I get it.
I'm serious about learning the features that are useful to some hunters. At my age I know I'll never be in those kind of places and I was not AT ALL being critical of anyone.

Y'all carry on........Never mind Brad.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Re-reading my post...epiphany!...it's not me that is the problem...I need a new pickup.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 16 invisible), 1,773 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.