Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
just waned to hear likes and dislikes on this gun thinking about purchasing onr….

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 3", not a 3.5. I have killed a pile of stuff with it, owned it almost 20 years.

Had the dura touch crap turn sticky. Browning wouldnt do squat about it. I ordered the shadow grass when I bought it, had the stocks redone.

I lube the slide rails at the beginning of every season and she runs like a champ.

Mine will run 1 oz thru 2 oz loads without a hiccup. Not sure how light the 3.5 will run.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I have the NWTF edition with 3.5" chamber and 24" barrel. I've had it for a while now. The Dura-Touch stock has held up well so far, odds are its going to take a dump now that I wrote that. There have been many that had problems with the Dura-coat finish so I would suggest passing on it if not prepared to fix or replace yourself.

What I don't like about it is its weight, it isn't much more than an 1100 or 11/87 but it is getting to be more than I like if it has to pull double duty in the uplands. It can be a little fatiguing to hold in firing position for long periods without a rest too. I'm getting spoiled (or old) as I like a little lighter gun. It is a little off balanced too, a little more weight up front would make it handle more to my liking.

The system is a little more time consuming to clean than others but not onerously so. Cleaning the piston is the worst but soaking it in a jar of Hoppe's over night helps if the carbon is baked on and it doesn't loosen up by shooting it very wet with CLP.

What I like is its weight as it helps alleviate recoil whether using heavy loads or shooting a lot of lighter ones. I rarely use 3.5" shells for any purpose but the 18 I have shot in it so far have not been too objectionable. 100+ 3" steel shells while laying in a field has happened more than once while shooting snows and the shoulder was sore afterwards.

It has been pretty reliable too, it has handled dirt and chaff in the field better than any of my previous autoloaders other than the Beretta 390. I also prefer the grip of the Gold over the Beretta but I can live with the Beretta. others will be reversed.

My particular gun cycles everything I put in it, even my 7/8 oz reloads at a nominal 1250 fps. I can't say this will be true with all of this model but a 3.5" Winchester SX-2 I previously owned cycled my reloads just fine too. I regularly use it for sporting clays charity events when the ammo is provided and I want to blend in with the typical shooter.

I am satisfied with my Browning Gold but I would have leaned more toward a Beretta if not being able to get a great deal on the Browning. I am a Browning guy but the Berettas are a little better fit for my preference. That they are more easily adjusted with shims (or at least the Browning did not come with them back then) is another factor in their favor.

If you like the Browning and feel the price is fair, I wouldn't hesitate to get it. The Dura-Touch can be an issue so consider that in the price if it has that feature.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
One minor negative I just remembered. If using a gun sleeve to carry the Browning, sliding the gun in or out can activate the magazine cutoff. That can cause a moment of frustration when trying to load a round in the magazine.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
manufactures of shotguns and shotgun ammo want you to believe a 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge is a better more power shotgun shell so you buy either a new 3 1/2
shotgun or more ammo . here is the real truth its a lie actually the 3 inch is more powerful reason they both use the exact same amount of powder its just that a 3 1/2 inch has more bb`s so actually the 3 1/2 is slower,making it less powerful ,plus a 3 1/2 inch ammo has poorer patters also. just but a 3 inch shotgun you will be much happier and save a few bucks too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Won’t a 3.5” given longer shot string? I believe this should help with waterfowl moving fast through the timber. Maybe not? I shoot a 3” and do just fine with it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Tim,

It has pretty much been proven that a long shot strings give no practical advantage in hitting...In addition the longer the shot string becomes the less width your pattern will have. If it is any advantage what you would gain in length you would lose in the vertical up and down...

Also contrary to what most think..open chokes give a longer shot string than tighter...It is because open chokes give individual pellets less opportunity to draft behind the hotter center core. Open makes more pellets fight the wind and thus flair off...Not much different than a Nascar race.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/ammunition_st_silly_122008wo/100155

Last edited by battue; 09/10/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve never been smitten by the 3.5” 12 ga shell. The only sense I see is if planning a lot of steel shot for waterfowl. I did own one pump years ago in 3.5”.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Battue,

Good stuff to think about there with the chokes and shot strings. I used to be an avid waterfowler and the go to was 3" #4 for wood ducks and teal early in the season and #2 for the big ducks later on in the season. All shot through a modified choke. Could be I was possibly doing something a bit wrong. Did pattern a 3 1/2" 10 gauge and a 3" 12 many years ago and you could tell a difference. Don't know about the shot strings but one noticeable difference back then was my success with the 10 was better. Bigger bore better patterns I don't know but interesting stuff to think about. Shooting over water you always knew who was shooting the big stuff. Still got that 10 gauge and won't get rid of it but lighter options exist now days and better shells available. Hope you have a good hunting season and the birds are plentiful!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 47 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,001
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.