Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Was doing a minor remodel on a river house we bought, and in the utility closet wall, there was an antique fly rod and reel. Probably from the 50's. Looked new.
Stuff from the 50's is antique? Ouch!!!

I noticed that. I'm a 1940 model so had to smile at it. laugh

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BIL had a home he was renting, renter fell behind on rent several months, BIL went thru eviction process, renter refused to move out while still not paying rent so he had to get the deputy to evict. The renter just left, didn't pack anything from what I can tell so we had to go there and clean out the house.

I was maybe 14? at the time, and a country boy so I couldn't figure out why this guy had a collection of rubber dicks. BIL had to explain to me they were [bleep] and not to touch them. Not that I had much interest in taking home a box of rubber dicks to my house anyways.

I did get a great collection of albums. I was introduced to Bob Marley and Black Sabbath.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rubber dick qwar listened to black sabbath?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another gun from a rehab house story. Forgot to include it in my previous post. Old damascus barrel Ithaca 12 ga. double with external hammers. Barrels had been cut down but nowhere near illegal length. No stock; the stock had broken at the wrist and just wrapped in duct tape for sort of a pistol grip. Up in the basement rafters. I was reading gas & electric meters in my semi retirement and showed up and the plumbers & electricians who found it didn't want to put it in their company trucks so I took it off their hands & put it in my vehicle. It was trash with sewer pipe bores, broken springs for the hammers, etc. etc. Complete junk but it got me 50 bucks at one of those no questions asked gun buy backs.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by slumlord
Rubber dick qwar listened to black sabbath?

Maybe his old lady liked Big Red in the pooper whenever the drum break in Iron Man kicked in

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Bought a small 160 acre place, in 1963 that had a log trappers cabin on it, after we got settled in I decided to go look the cabin over part of the roof was caved in and the floor boards were rotted out, it had a stone fire place in one corner, there were copper pans, skillet, and a tea pot, in the fire place, and the other corner were the roof was still ok were wooden boxes, full of Dupont caps and prima cord and dyno -mite, I backed out real slow and called the Fire dept. talked to the fire chief, they came and put hazard no trespassing signs up up around it, and a couple of days later the bomb squad from Denver, came and spent almost a whole day cleaning the cabin out.
I still have the copper skillet pans and tea pot. we remodeled the cabin and made a bunk house for our help.
Rio7

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Digging a garden in front of my son's house this spring I found pop top beer cans and a corroded 1973 penny.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In the northeast kingdom of VT my parents found newspapers lining the walls from 1865. full of civil war news. We framed some of them.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Just a wood chisel. I've been told by a man that helped build our place in Ontario that he, and cousin hung wine bottles to rattle in the hollow walls.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My late brother used to remodel houses all over the KC area. He found an old Remington M24 Short Only when remodeling an old house, stuck in a wall someplace. The owner didn't want it, so he took it home, and later gave it to me just before he passed away. I still have it. I bought a Winchester 61 from another feller who'd found it in another wall someplace or other. It's bore was completely gone, sadly enough, and I sold it for parts at a gunshow.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bought a home built in 1926 for change. Didn't know if I was going to remodel or raze, but discovered the floor grates and door handles were bronze, and the inset window pulls were platinum. Sold the metals for $4,600.00 and then sold the house which turned out to be of historical value. The home was built and occupied by the Monnig family, of Department Store fame. The new owner remodeled and it became a law office.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Several years ago I knew a guy and his wife that moved into her grandmas house and when they were fixing it up they found a couple of rifles under the floor boards in the kitchen. Both were barreled actions, a Springfield 03 and a Mauser 93, bores were welded shut and rusty as heck, another friend of mine bought them from him.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Sometime 40 or so years ago..........
A feller and some boys he had hired to help tear down an old house in Portland, TN.
They found an old revolver in one of the interior walls.....The man gave the boys the revolver.
Boys sold the revolver to another feller, I saw the revolver, it was marked Co. D with a low three digit serial number.
Turner Kirkland said it looked to be original. Must of came up from Texas.

In God We Trust
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Remodeled an old house in Tesuque, NM (just north of Santa Fe).
Early portion evidently was put up in the late 1700's - nothing square. From 9 - 15 degrees out of square, depending on which addition you were in.
Sometime earlier, it had belonged to the publisher of the Santa Fe New Mexican, and we found (best I can describe) light cardboard, embossed sheets
used to print newspapers. Dated late '30's and early '40's. They have since disappeared, after being given to my FIL. SIL and MIL probably threw them out, after he died.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DMc
Bought a home built in 1926 for change. Didn't know if I was going to remodel or raze, but discovered the floor grates and door handles were bronze, and the inset window pulls were platinum. Sold the metals for $4,600.00 and then sold the house which turned out to be of historical value. The home was built and occupied by the Monnig family, of Department Store fame. The new owner remodeled and it became a law office.

Any pics of the house?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 32 caliber break open revolver. A year after moving in my house, built in 1900, I was in a crawl space. It was laying in the dirt. It would open and close the cylinder would spin the hammer would cock but it wouldn't revolve or lock. I didn't even see a name on it. Basically a cheap Saturday Night Special.

I tossed it into a quarry, 100 foot deep water.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by readonly
Originally Posted by DMc

Any pics of the house?

Too much water under that bridge...

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was there a lot lime in that crawlspace?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Was there a lot lime in that crawlspace?

No, this whole damned hill is sand. I live on a ridge, which at one time before Erie receded would have been a sandbar then a beach. Dig in my ground and find pieces of sandstone worn off by water. On my lowest spot I've dug and found old shells about the size of my fingernail.

Of course Lake Erie is only 2-1/2 miles away from me.

Last edited by Armednfree; 09/13/20.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I found an old chain mail type change purse with an 1858 flying eagle cent in it.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (260Remguy, 44automag, 338reddog, 4xbear, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 16 invisible), 1,647 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.