Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
been phuggin around with the belt on my JD LT180 for 2 days now. I know I have it routed correctly but I have about 3" of slack and the new belt is the same size as the old belt. I can't figure out how it got so out of whack in the first place. The belt slipped off when a limb got lodged up in there but I can't see any visible damage or bends.

There is some kind of PTO tensioner with a locking nut but I'm done, going to load it up and take to a mower mechanic down the road.

the shame of it all.

My old man would disown me.

Last edited by KFWA; 09/13/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I did go fishing though so the day wasn't a complete waste

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
lmao .been there done that i know the shame grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
At 3:30 it shows the belt configuration.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
yea, believe me I've got the belt configuration memorized by now - but I think the issue is that rod at the top with the spring is loose that is supposed to keep tension on it, and it has a lock nut that is about the most inconvenient over engineered design possible.

I did notice I don't have the second spring that is vertical and clips on to the mower frame - actually I realize mine is different, I have a 48C deck and the tensioner is mounted on the deck

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I have a Husqvarna 2658 or something like that. They are absolutely known to break the mounting bolts at the transaxle.

Was chatting with a friend of mine that knows mowers and does mower repair for a living.

Told him "I have a mower and the drive belt keeps coming off..."

He asked if it was a Husqvarna and I said yes.

He asked if it had 250 hours on it... I said 285.

He laughed and said you got lucky to get the extra 35 hours.

Apparently about 95% of them break the mounting bolts at the transaxle which rotates the transaxle forward and makes the belt slip off.

No idea if this is the case with John Deere but it is absolutely the case with Husqvarna and the Tuff Torq transaxles... per Michael.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have 245 hours on my JD

I figured out what I need to do, it would help if I was a midget with 4 foot arms.

I guess I'll give it another shot tomorrow

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
212 on my Hustler Raptor Limited. I'm getting pretty good at maintaining it. Second drive belt, third deck belt and have had to replace two spindles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I lost the drive belt on my LX280 about six weeks ago. Fortunately I found a tensioner spring that fell out from under the deck when it happened.

I had no idea how the drive belt was routed, so I checked out some Youtube videos to see what other folks had learned the hard way. They were recommending the removal of the PTO assembly and all kinds of other nonsense. When I got under the tractor I could see that I only needed to disconnect the steering arm to route the belt correctly.

Check for a missing spring laying on the ground where the failure took place. That just might be why your belt isn't fitting properly.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
thats one thing i like about my simplicity. deck drops easy and belt is a one man job. the rest of the tractor, meh.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Check for a broken spring on the tensioner pulley

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My LT180 has a 38" deck - problem is no one can find a replacement belt, other than JD.
Finally found another - 1/2 price, but not aramid!
We'll see, but I have low hopes.
I installed the cheapy to see how it does.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by mark shubert
My LT180 has a 38" deck - problem is no one can find a replacement belt, other than JD.

If you can determine what length it is, Grainger Industrial Supply will have it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I changed the belt on my JD x495 about two weeks ago. The belt cost $94, what a ripoff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mark shubert

The deck belts are one thing...easy to replace by detaching the deck. The main drive belt is another thing altogether. Gotta drop the deck and then get underneath the machine.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I lost the drive belt on my LX280 about six weeks ago. Fortunately I found a tensioner spring that fell out from under the deck when it happened.

I had no idea how the drive belt was routed, so I checked out some Youtube videos to see what other folks had learned the hard way. They were recommending the removal of the PTO assembly and all kinds of other nonsense. When I got under the tractor I could see that I only needed to disconnect the steering arm to route the belt correctly.

Check for a missing spring laying on the ground where the failure took place. That just might be why your belt isn't fitting properly.

I lost my drive belt on the LX280 a couple of weeks back when the idler pulley split in half. Took awhile to figure out how to get it out and the new one on. All that was complicated by having to do it one handed because of recent carpel tunnel surgery, and having to lay on the ground to do it. (Do you know how hard it is to get yourself off the ground one handed when you are old and fat!) I probably should have taken it to the dealership, but I had already bought all the new pulleys and belts from that Green Parts Store, online, and I figured that would piss off the local dealership (Of course they piss me off every time their cash register rings up my totals!)

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Fortunately, never had to replace the drive belt, only the deck belt.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I changed the belt on my JD x495 about two weeks ago. The belt cost $94, what a ripoff.

Your local farm store should have Kevlar belts. Measure the outside of the belt and see if they have one the same width and length.

John Deere belts while expensive are very good belts that usually go far beyond standard belts but yeah I use the Kevlar belts from my local farm store and they usually go a couple years.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
FWIW, Tractor Supply has their belts organized by length. They also have a special tool to measure your old belt. This has been at every one I’ve been in the last 3-4 years.

Also, a buddy gave me an LT133 (similar) a few years back. Said it would occasionally not want to go up hills, like the belt was slipping. Turns out, 3 of the 4 bolts holding the motor to the frame had vibrated out. There was literally only one bolt keeping the engine attached, and it was allowing the engine to “shift” (move) whenever it was under load.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,129
Posts18,464,664
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.