Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You guys realize trees have the ability to reproduce, right?

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by jimy
Irony is the stupid [bleep] posted in this thread, the man did his best to protect tens of thousands of acres of prime hunting and fishing land for all to enjoy and some of you mock him, WTF Have any of you done to make the outdoors a better place for your sons or daughters ?

This man likely died trying to protect what he loved, thats something a few of you might want to set your sights on !

Let me get this straight. If they logged it it would no longer be good for hunting and fishing?

It would add roads and easy access that was never there.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
[/quote]

Let me get this straight. If they logged it it would no longer be good for hunting and fishing?
[/quote]

I shot my first elk in a clear-cut.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Irony is the stupid [bleep] posted in this thread, the man did his best to protect tens of thousands of acres of prime hunting and fishing land for all to enjoy and some of you mock him, WTF Have any of you done to make the outdoors a better place for your sons or daughters ?

This man likely died trying to protect what he loved, thats something a few of you might want to set your sights on !

jimy

The man doggedly tried to preserve the place in a static way, no tree removed, no leaf unturned, etc. This is impossible. The earth is an ever changing landscape, erosion, flood, volcanic flows/explosions, torrential rains, mudslides, and of course fire will alter the earth. Perhaps with careful thoughtful forestry management that magnificent forest would have fared better from the torch. If that fire has ravished that forest it will take decades if not centuries to ever return if it ever does. What will happen to those crystal waters now?

You are exactly right on the fire damage , but with today' sportsmen side X sides and the likes wilderness is not all that far away, logging makes roads and adds access that can ruin a huge area a fantastic hunting for years to come, I am not a anti logger by any means its just more profitable to log other areas.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Get with it Val, sometimes the only way to save ANYTHING is to fire up the chainsaws and make some money creating defensible space. My heart is not broken over this, in fact, if Atiyeh in fact was immolated, there's a certain bitter justice. Too bad it wasn't Andy Kerr.

Won't argue that Dave. In some circumstances the best way too.

But, I think the man wanted to preserve (yep, there's that sometimes nasty word) a particular portion of a system that was rapidly disappearing. THAT can't be done by logging it. Big trees like that will not grow back in your children's lifetime, their grandkids lifetimes, or even their grandkids grandkids lifetimes. Maybe take that section of forest he wanted to preserve and surround it with a bare dirt buffer 500' wide? Log that buffer and put in a lawn? Soccer fields maybe?

The sad fact of the matter is some folks want to see groves of trees and sections of forest that are relatively untouched by man since before the modern calendar started. Others see those forests as jobs and houses and paper pulp.

Jimy made a very valid point. If there's truly a shortage of lumber products in the US of A, why do I have pictures of barges loaded with logs and ready to go downriver to Japan? And that's just on the Columbia, not counting Coos Bay, places in AK, and Puget Sound. Would not all those logs make good wood products for the US of A, and maybe there would be a few more jobs here? Maybe we wouldn't have to import wood products from Canada?

I, for one, am really glad his predecessors in preserving big trees did such a good job with Redwood State and National Parks. Having spent multiple days there, being as how I lived in the area, I can tell everyone that's never seen one there is nothing, repeat nothing, like it in any area that's been logged. Having worked for a few years on 350,000+ acres of private timberlands I kinda know what I'm talking about there. And I've seen preserved areas in PA, WA, OR and AK, so I'd have to say the guy likely did the OR public a service in saving that particular patch of woods.

Could be they're all gone now? Yep. Could be whether man was involved or not, that section of woods could have gone up in any dry year. Odds of those trees standing through a fire event are a lot higher than them standing through a chainsaw event though.

I'll have to look up the Kerr dude. Don't know of him offhand.

Enjoy your evening up there.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I’d not gloat about anyone’s death by fire, ‘specially as this guy might not have been your average Loony Leftist. I’ll note he saved one place that others agree was worth saving.

Dunno anything else about the guy.

OK, an arsonist setting such a fire? wouldn't upset me if they died in it.

You're just grumpy because Caucasians have returned to Zimbabwe.

LOL, the fact that they were willing to, especially given the slaughter in South Africa, speaks teams of what we are clueless about in that particular situation.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Have you been to Opal Creek? I have, just a couple of times. Kinda like it the way it ended up. Purportedly, there's 5% of the US PNW old growth remaining. Ain't hurting chit to keep some. Like the Redwoods and Sequoias, invaluable. Don't get me wrong, I think we should log the f*ck out of the rest.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Yep

But you're not reproducing a 250' tall Doug Fir, Western Hemlock, or other tree in a goodly number of generations.

And if you've only seen trees in TN then you need to " Go West Young Man" as some dude once wrote, to see what a real tree is.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Steve
Too bad it wasn't Andy Kerr.

On that I agree.

That said, when you're in the center of a town that burns every house to the ground (Talent, Detroit) how do you make a defensible space? My relatives restaurant in Detroit was surrounded by hundreds of feet of back-top (roads, hwy, parking lot). Hard to get more defensible than that. Only thing left is the sign in the middle of the parking lot. We had 35-65 mph winds. You can't defend against that.

Detroit - where????

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Too bad it wasn't Andy Kerr.

On that I agree.

That said, when you're in the center of a town that burns every house to the ground (Talent, Detroit) how do you make a defensible space? My relatives restaurant in Detroit was surrounded by hundreds of feet of back-top (roads, hwy, parking lot). Hard to get more defensible than that. Only thing left is the sign in the middle of the parking lot. We had 35-65 mph winds. You can't defend against that.

Detroit - where????

Detriot Oregon.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Like Bull of the Woods, Indian Haven, Table Rock, Trapper Creek, Jefferson Park, Ollalie, there's some f*cking places worthy of existing. Like the Great Smoky Mtn, and some of those little preserved places back east.

There's wonderfully mature second growth in the Cascades to log, millions of acres of it. There's a chunk of land up by the Columbia River that I will not specify but it's thousands of acres of logging done right, fantastic game habitats.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/13/20.

--- Kid Rock 2022

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The book you want to Read is "Something of Value" It is a great read and an eye opener, Robert Ruark was one of the best writers ever.

After that Uhuru is better !

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

You're a grandfathered in Oregonian, Geno.

Does this package include a non-extraditable warrant and the inability to think for yourself?

You want me, you're going to have to come and get me!

I stole that from this tough guy:
Edward G. Robinson (as Little Caesar) in Little Caesar

But, it's kind of fitting

Last edited by Valsdad; 09/13/20.

In it is contentment

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Ringman

It would add roads and easy access that was never there.

Much oversimplification.... +P+

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The book you want to Read is "Something of Value" It is a great read and an eye opener, Robert Ruark was one of the best writers ever.

Looking at my well worn copy on the book shelf now.

Last edited by Steve; 09/13/20.

Carpe' Scrotum
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Andy Kerr. Met him. Road around in the Great Basin for part of a day with him and a gamebird guy . Wouldn't wish dying in a blaze on him, nor anyone for simple disagreements. Don't agree on a lot of ONDAs dealings... Knew some interesting chit about beaver in sagebrush country. Carry-on.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Maybe we aughta cleacut that f*cking Kings Canyon? How about that wasteland Yellowstone? Lets f*cking open up Glacier! Piss on it go go go go! God damnit people are f*cking starving! Cut the damned Redwoods down! Highlead right up elCapitan! F*ck yah! Salmon River, Bob Marshall, cut cut cut!
Carry on.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Maybe we aughta cleacut that f*cking Kings Canyon? How about that wasteland Yellowstone? Lets f*cking open up Glacier! Piss on it go go go go! God damnit people are f*cking starving! Cut the damned Redwoods down! Highlead right up elCapitan! F*ck yah! Salmon River, Bob Marshall, cut cut cut!
Carry on.

Highlead el Capital... LMAO!!

Central Park in NY has some dandy oak trees just sayin..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Carry on.

I get ya Boomer. Have a beer.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salty303
Carry on.

Highlead el Capital... LMAO!!

Central Park in NY has some dandy oak trees just sayin..

Maybe zipline it.

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

467 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,216
Posts18,447,378
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.