24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This chimney gets cleaned from the clean out - up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Add 4' sections and insert Shop-Vac hose

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IS that a diagonal stovepipe coming in from the right?

If so, how do you clean that? From inside the stove?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I remove the stovepipe from the stove and scrap the inside with my Grandfather's three feet 1/2 moon pipe scraper, plus wire brush where needed.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Coolio !

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just cleaned a Selkirk Metalbestos chimney from the top down 2 days ago. I just remove the baffle plate and let fall into the firebox.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just swabbed mine out last week. 18 foot double wall stainless; I go up through the bottom cleanout outside the cabin, makes it nice.

I take the black stovepipe from inside the house and clean it outside, then shopvac the inside of the stove and blow out the air passages.

Got three full cords split and stacked.

I'm all ready to burn.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't have wood heat here. Yet. The last place was an air tight stand along woodstove so doing it from the bottom up would be a royal PITA. It was just a straight run of pipe so pretty easy I just popped the cap off on the chimney on the roof and go it it, I'd scrub down about 3-4 feet then come up and repeat the same section a couple times doing a thorough job then go down another 3-4 feet doing the same. Then after 20 minutes or so to let it settle good open the door on the stove and shovel it out. Baffle in the stove removed beforehand of course.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Ummm...is now a good time to admit I have never cleaned a chimney, and I have never heard of anyone else around here doing it either?

Seriously, if you lot fancy doing a thread on the tools required I would find it interesting.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chimney fires take out houses every year. You should clean yours. The tools shown above are available at big box type stores and probably smaller hardware places here in the states. Places like Menard's, Lowe's and Home Depot. Smaller like local Tru Value, etc. Probably ever Walmart.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That sure beats getting on the roof to do so. smile

WWP53D
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you ever experience a chimney fire touching off, it will put the fear of God in you. Years back my son packed our firebox full, in a very high windstorm. I heard what sounded like a freight train in the den, and outside lit up like it was daylight. I knew exactly what happened and headed for the stove. Luckily we have a big Fisher Grandpa Bear, and it shuts down completely air tight and in less than 5 seconds I had it starved for air and under control. The chimney was glowing red, and I climbed up to the top and covered it with a piece of plate steel to finish it off .I had it inspected and it is still usable. We were burning about 14 face cord of wood a year , now we are lucky to burn 2-3 after that experience, still cautious over it and brush the chimney a couple times per season. We burn only dry wood, and keep a hot fire, but got careless and didn't clean it as often as we should have . Operator negligence.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I clean mine once every 3-5 years but I burn VERY hot fires that do not lend themselves to buildup

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I clean our stove pipe twice a year, it is a pita , but I am burning constantly from end of October through March. I pop the cap on roof and send a brush down and then have to take the pipe off of stove and take it outside and clean thoroughly. When the folks were building the house I was in Colo. I had them make sure the framing for the pipe is so many inches from the outside wall. Builder refused to do it....ergo I do not have a straight pipe all the way to the roof! Still pisses me off, and the pipe was way out of plumb when put in originally. Had another outfit come in and fix it!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a tool that is much like a metal leaf rake but 4 sided in a pyramid shape.
From above[roof] I send it down the chimney and once down give it a good yank and the tines expand outward[spring loaded].
Pull it up, repeat as necessary, then empty the clean out.
2-1/2 stories of chimney and I get about 1 five gal bucket of soot as long as the wood is well seasoned.

FJB & FJT

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
86 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, batch, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,621 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.