Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I couldn't stand it any longer. My clubs range is shut down because of the smoke hazard. That is in Washington 50 miles away. Here it is no better, but I decided to go out today and throw an NRA 500 yard target downrange at 500 yards. Any of you guys still getting out and shooting, despite a little smoke or wind? I was shooting my S&W M&P 10 6.5 creed and my Tikka CTR 6.5 creed. Both rifles shoot better than what the targets display, as I could only make out the black silhouette of the F class repair center target. Generally I can see the X and the white rings inside the black circle. Not today:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here are the results from the CTR.

First target shot:
Works out to be a .669 MOA and a score of 100-8X

After I adjusted the scope, I shot a slightly better score, but with a bigger moa:
Score of 100-9X, .883 MOA

Now for the M&P 10 Performance center 6.5 creedmoor:
This rifle usually shoots pretty good. The NXS 3.5-15x56 didn't let me down. I just could't see the damn target. I fired off 10 shots in 16.4 seconds and here are the results:
First group from the old girl. Not a very impressive score of 99-6x.

The next target scored a little better:
100-4x

Today really reminded me of shooting in a bad snow storm, where you can barely see the target. Good thing I have a solid backstop. How about you guys, are you being affected by this damn smoke and if so, are you still shooting? These rifles were shot in the prone position with Harris 6-9 swivel bi-pod and rear sandbag. Here's how big that damn 500 yard target is:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice groups. That is a 1000 yard F class repair center though...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS

Its an MR65 repair center.. 500 yard NRA target. 5" X ring, 10" 10 ring. You are also right that it is also a F class repair center for 1000 yards. This just gives the guys an idea of how big the targets are in these types of competitions. I know in another thread there was talk about marine qualifications etc. Even in smoky azzed conditions, they can be hit at their intended ranges. I'm not complaining about a .669 moa 10 shot group at 500 yards, but it could have been much better... On a good clear day that CTR will hit 2.5" targets at 500 yards and it is a 8.5 pound rifle. Keeping in mind, this is a "tactical" type rifle, not a benchrest gun like the one you use... Also, someone was inquiring about a good AR10 in another thread. I'm here to tell you that I've had absolutely no issues with the S&W M&P 10 performance center 6.5 creedmoor, except for the loose barrel nut when I first got it home sick. Other than that, it's been a fantastic rifle. I may actually shoot it in a short range centerfire competition next saturday, since it's a proven sub moa shooter.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Its an MR65 repair center.. 500 yard NRA target. 5" X ring, 10" 10 ring. You are also right that it is also a F class repair center for 1000 yards. This just gives the guys an idea of how big the targets are in these types of competitions. I know in another thread there was talk about marine qualifications etc. Even in smoky azzed conditions, they can be hit at their intended ranges. On a good clear day that CTR will hit 2.5" targets at 500 yards and it is a 8.5 pound rifle. Keeping in mind, this is a "tactical" type rifle, not a benchrest gun like the one you use... Also, someone was inquiring about a good AR10 in another thread. I'm here to tell you that I've had absolutely no issues with the S&W M&P 10 performance center 6.5 creedmoor, except for the loose barrel nut when I first got it home sick. Other than that, it's been a fantastic rifle. I may actually shoot it in a short range centerfire competition next saturday, since it's a proven sub moa shooter.

Good shooting! but the MR65FCA target has a 2.50 X ring and the 10 ring is 5 inches. Your CTR current setup you would have to use it in F class or or pull bi pod off you can use it in high power/other rifle but you will have to sling up.. Your AR10 would be gtg in AR tactical class. Also everything in NRA mid-range prone is slow fire so single round feed.

Last edited by 79S; 09/14/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You're lucky you had a place to shoot. All the public ground in WA is closed to target shooting. Can't even shoot a little clay bird.

Fire danger doncha know.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Its an MR65 repair center.. 500 yard NRA target. 5" X ring, 10" 10 ring. You are also right that it is also a F class repair center for 1000 yards.

Can't be both.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Keeping in mind, this is a "tactical" type rifle, not a benchrest gun like the one you use...

You need to get out more.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Our range is closed here, and “will be till further notice”. I guess that’s ok because don’t want to breath this stuff in. Seems to be a little better each day.
Great shooting, BSA, no matter what target, in the smoke especially.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also when shooting 809,900,1000 yds you have a choice shoot the T class or high power with sling.. And MikeS is shooting a Palma match rifle if I remember right. Which mats off to those guy peep sights/ limited to 155gr Palma bullet shooting out to a 1000yds

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (2ndwind, aaronward9, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 30 invisible), 1,934 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.