-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It may have even originated right in my area with a grizzled, old traditional bow hunter who passed it along to Doug Stange, now editor of Infisherman magazine. Doug was an elementary school classmate of mine.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Seems weird that a combine would be in a cornfield this early in the year, especially downstate. Just stating an opinion, not speculating.

Could've been chopping it for silage I suppose.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems weird that a combine would be in a cornfield this early in the year, especially downstate. Just stating an opinion, not speculating.

I thought the same thing. Not passing any judgement or opinion on the matter, just surprised. I’m in the Tri-Cities/Mid-Michigan region and the corn is still half green.

Last edited by TheLastLemming76; 09/14/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Are all these tales of the great corn stalk stalk before GMO corn and more narrow rows?

I suppose if I was pondering the glory days of a 1962 Outdoor Life article in a corn field with 3ft wide rows. Yes

The corn I walk a hell of lot more narrow, it only gets about 7ft tall too, if that. Obviously different hybrids in different locales.

My guy that I hunt rocks on; spaces his pretty darn tight, hence my doubting comments. So please forgive. The land Im on, the farm mgr plants 18,000+ acres. He squeezes all the science he can out of it. You won’t be slipping easily thru his stalks. Barely sideways.

So, different soils, different regions, different hybrids, I suppose it’s unchanged in other areas. I don’t know.

————————

https://crops.extension.iastate.edu/encyclopedia/row-spacing-corn

Row spacing - corn

Row widths continue to decrease as time moves forward. Current row widths employed by producers typically vary from 15" to 38", with most producers at 30" today.

Yet more and more acres are planted to narrower row widths. In general, this means 15" or 20" row widths. Numerous advantages exist with narrower row widths; these include using the same planting equipment for corn and soybean, reduced weed competition, increased shading of the soil, increased light interception per plant, and less in-row crowding. Plant populations continue to increase every year (400 plants per acre per year). Using wide row widths force more plants to be in a concentrated area, whereas narrower rows allow better dispersement.

In general, more of a yield response to narrow rows is expected to occur in northern production states, likely due to their shorter growing seasons. What has Iowa State University research shown in terms of yield response? Six years of research (1995-2000) conducted in Iowa showed a null yield effect when comparing 15" row width to 30". This data is included in the Corn Planting Guide (Table 6) and is extracted here for your reference. Year to year response varied; yet in general, corn planted in a 15" row width yielded the same as 30". It is important to note that yields will not be reduced when using narrow row widths.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ongoing research is conducted at ISU investigating the yield response of a twin row corn production system compared to 30" row widths. Previous research (2003-2005) conducted at the SW Research and Demonstration Farm (Lewis, IA) has shown no significant yield difference between a twin row configuration and 30" row spacing during any of the three years. A twin row configuration places two rows atop the previous row. The twin rows are only 7-8" apart. See the Image Gallery for a picture of what this system looks like.

As plant populations significantly increase from where they are today, we expect the yield differential to shift more towards narrow row systems than 30". Yet at this time, we recommend producers use 15", 20", or 30" row widths. These three options will allow maximum yields to be realized if other factors have been properly managed including plant population, weed control, hybrid selection, and residue management.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

It’s true. There’s a technique of still bow-hunting standing corn rows into the wind or at least from a favorable direction. But I learned it to be used with snow, a step at a time and with constant glassing to the windward side into adjacent rows.
With a breeze, the stalk leaves make a rattling noise, and with snow I’ve come within ten feet of deer and pheasants without them knowing of me.

George, it is true indeed. I used to love spending time in cornfields with bow and gun - especially with a decent wind or rain.
I believe folks (self included) were calling BS at the "getting lost" nonsense.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

They were chopping, not combining. The operator found him. DRT.

I suppose there’s a small chance a wheel could’ve run over him, but that’s unlikely.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
bad deal in my op.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SKane
[quote=George_De_Vries_3rd]
It’s true. There’s a technique of still bow-hunting standing corn rows into the wind or at least from a favorable direction. But I learned it to be used with snow, a step at a time and with constant glassing to the windward side into adjacent rows.
With a breeze, the stalk leaves make a rattling noise, and with snow I’ve come within ten feet of deer and pheasants without them knowing of me.

George, it is true indeed. I used to love spending time in cornfields with bow and gun - especially with a decent wind or rain.
I believe folks (self included) were calling BS at the "getting lost" nonsense.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes guys, unfortunately there are 'some' here on the 'fire' who don't know EVERYTHING, like they think they do.

I have TWO, umm I'll call lost pups instead of TROLLS. They follow me around and chew on my britches leg and
growl like big dogs. They tell me I don't know what I'm talking about......

problem is they DON'T know what they DON'T know! ! !

NOW to this HORRIFIC situation shocked shocked

So SAD cry

Prayers and Condolences to ALL who knew him.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

I thought the same thing. Not passing any judgement or opinion on the matter, just surprised. I’m in the Tri-Cities/Mid-Michigan region and the corn is still half green.

I grew up in Midland County and had a neighbor who farmed. He often didn't cut his corn until mid-late November

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes, much wider rows. I couldn’t go down a corn row now sidewise and holding my breath, and I doubt you could even draw a bow and shoot between the stalks now.

It was much different fifty years ago.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
For me, getting into a 20 acre plot of standing corn was more of an annoyance than anything. I was a big guy and not naturally meant to be a pussy footer to begin with. My biggest problem was that the leaves were always in the way and I had to bend down to see anything. I finally said screwit! and went to the compass to find the quickest way out. However, I can well imagine that someone young and less experienced could get lost.

As a matter of fact, Granpa Whitey did just that back before 1910 at age 4. They were having a family get-together and little Whitey wandered off into the corn. They had to post someone in the attic window to direct the men towards the movement out in the middle of the field.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
wth is going on, kid shot, another shot trying to clear, not many details yet

2 shot at youth deer hunting event in St. Clair County

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My heart goes out to thr family of the 14 year old. These things are horrific!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Story I read they were chopping silage... Goggle Albert Lea MN Woman hit by train...70 year old woman carrying fishing gear .. You'd think they hear it. Aperentlyy not..I fished the Alma dam from MN and Wi side

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
He also enjoyed online gaming and Xbox. there it is, ear buds on the ph gaming.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by shaman
Bucks will spend a great deal of time in standing corn. There is a tactic whereby a hunter can slip in with a bow and walk right up on them. The problem is what happens if you get lost. I never much liked the tactic, because visibility was about 10 feet at best. Once you're in, there are few directional cues. You can use a compass, a gps (nowadays), or listen for traffic on a nearby road. I much preferred to catch them going in or out, often using a small penninsula or other structure as a key. I can see where a 14 yr old got in, got turned around, and decided to take a nap before heading out.

LOL

Where do you come up with this fugking bullschit?

But I cannot explain the not hearing the machinery even of this kid was knowingly trying this technique. Very sad indeed.

Yeah I grew up around a lot of corn and I know two things:

1.). Nobody arrowed a deer in September corn

2.). Unless your name is Corky, you ain’t getting lost in a midwestern cornfield

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by shaman
Bucks will spend a great deal of time in standing corn. There is a tactic whereby a hunter can slip in with a bow and walk right up on them. The problem is what happens if you get lost. I never much liked the tactic, because visibility was about 10 feet at best. Once you're in, there are few directional cues. You can use a compass, a gps (nowadays), or listen for traffic on a nearby road. I much preferred to catch them going in or out, often using a small penninsula or other structure as a key. I can see where a 14 yr old got in, got turned around, and decided to take a nap before heading out.

LOL

Where do you come up with this fugking bullschit?
..Deflave...I had a BIL used to shoot deer every year sneaking through semi dry corn fields in Wisconsin..With a bow..60-80 acre's fields...We always knew witch way we were going.. Probably different in Florida, gatores and iguananas in a 30x 50 lot.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ahhh, Flave knows corn. Big corn is where he spent his formative years when he was spankin' it to a Cindy Crawford poster. Sadly, now it's Cutler, but he showed promise back in the day.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Huntz
This is a tragic accident.I don`t understand that the first thing people want to do is condemn someone before they know the whole story??

It’s the “new” America.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Mom shot herself in the hand.

As a paramedic I worked many, many GSW. Most were small caliber pistols as you might expect. .22LR, 9mm, .38 Special and so forth.
I did see a few patients hit with a deer rifle.

Scary to think what a .30-30 would do to the hand. Depends on where it hits of course but right there at the bone where it joins the wrist, it would blow the hand off of the arm.

When I was 12, I saw what a twelve 12 would do to a hand!! My friend’s brother was using a Browning auto 5. He stood with his hand on the barrel and pushed down, on a loaded gun. When it. Hit the firing pin it went off!

You can say it couldn’t have, put I saw it form about 4 feet away! It wasn’t pretty!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.