24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
This is my first post, so bear with me as I literally do not know the right answer.

With ammo going for 70 cents a round, shooting an AR 15 is not a luxury a lot of us can afford to indulge in enough to remain proficient with firearms. So, just before the ammo shortage I bought a Holosun HS515GM optic. Now, wanting to become proficient with it, I'm considering getting a $40 rail made by UTG for a Ruger 10 22, putting the Holosun on that and learning how to use optics.

I'd be interested in hearing from any of you on the practicality of training and learning how to use optics that way. Thanks in advance for any perspectives, experiences, etc. you can share.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that regardless of the sight that you use, the understudy rifle needs to be as close a clone of the primary as is possible and affordable.

I think that a platform like the S&W M&P15-22 would be a much better choice for an understudy of an AR platform rifle than anything else. Even a crappy Mossberg 715 would be a better platform than a mechanically superior Ruger 10/22, but this is just my opinion.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I think that regardless of the sight that you use, the understudy rifle needs to be as close a clone of the primary as is possible and affordable.

I think that a platform like the S&W M&P15-22 would be a much better choice for an understudy of an AR platform rifle than anything else. Even a crappy Mossberg 715 would be a better platform than a mechanically superior Ruger 10/22, but this is just my opinion.

I agree that what you're saying is probably right, I just don't see any of those rifles for sale and when you do, they are just 22 LR commanding a price tag of close to the cost of a case of ammo. These Covid 19 prices are out of hand and I'm just wanting to have some advantage by learning optics and being able to use them in an emergency. If the project turns out to be wasted effort, I'd really be disappointed.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
What rail is that exactly, 40 bucks sounds high for a utg rail for a 10/22. I started using the nc star on mine, it allows you to use your open sites also without removing the rail.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by killerv
What rail is that exactly, 40 bucks sounds high for a utg rail for a 10/22. I started using the nc star on mine, it allows you to use your open sites also without removing the rail.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/lea...25-slot-side-rails/FC-4712274523173.html

Your idea sounds better than what I was looking at since I won't need a flashlight or other stuff mounted on the rifle. Now, in your opinion, would it benefit me to learn the basics of optics on the 10 22 and then mount it / shoot it on an AR or just hold out for an AR in 22 LR?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're way overthinking this. A scope is a scope, no matter what rifle it is on... use it on anything for a while and you'll figure it out. Scopes have been out for a very long time- it isn't rocket surgery.....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Sheister
You're way overthinking this. A scope is a scope, no matter what rifle it is on... use it on anything for a while and you'll figure it out. Scopes have been out for a very long time- it isn't rocket surgery.....

Bob

I'll take your word for it. If I'm over-thinking it, it is because I took some handgun training once and the instructor made it a point to tell a couple of guys that they had spent a lot of time perfecting an improper way of shooting which is why it was taking them more effort to stay caught up with the rest of the class.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't put some sort of weird rail on a 10/22 to imitate an AR. Like Sheister said, put your optic on the 10/22 and shoot it. Regardless of the rail or mounting system for the optic, you are not going to get the AR feel out of the 10/22. You can still learn how your optic works out. Later when you can do grab a M&P 15-22, they are hella cool little rifles. I bought one this summer, put a Romeo 5 on it and have shot several thousand rounds through it so far. Ton of fun!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by TheResister
Originally Posted by killerv

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/lea...25-slot-side-rails/FC-4712274523173.html

Your idea sounds better than what I was looking at since I won't need a flashlight or other stuff mounted on the rifle. Now, in your opinion, would it benefit me to learn the basics of optics on the 10 22 and then mount it / shoot it on an AR or just hold out for an AR in 22 LR?

Having owned a 15-22 that would be the better option in my opinion but I'd go ahead and scope out that 1022 and get to shootin'.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There be a number of cheaper red dot/optical sights out there that use regular ring mounts.

For example....

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/sp-series-red-dot/

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1397459296

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
There be a number of cheaper red dot/optical sights out there that use regular ring mounts.

For example....

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/sp-series-red-dot/

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1397459296

I had gotten the Holosun on sale with the intent of putting it on an AR. Ammo is just too high to practice with. Thanks for the links, however. Either way I'm going to be shooting a 22 something or the other. I'll see what Academy Sports has and if they can order an AR in 22 caliber.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you really want one - here you go, I expect that this is about as cheap as you will find one given the current buying frenzy. And it already has an optic.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/s-w-m-p-15-22-sport-22lr-rifle-w-red-green-dot-optic-12722.html

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by drover
If you really want one - here you go, I expect that this is about as cheap as you will find one given the current buying frenzy. And it already has an optic.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/s-w-m-p-15-22-sport-22lr-rifle-w-red-green-dot-optic-12722.html

drover

Thanks. I clicked on the link, but they're out of stock. FWIW, Palmetto State Armory has the worst customer service in the entire gun industry and they are proud of it. They make great products and they have good deals, dollar wise. But, if anything goes wrong, they do not have customer service. I returned an upper to them once. They sent me a notice that they fixed the problem with it (and they didn't), then said they were shipping it back - even gave me a tracking number. Three weeks later I complained to them and they would not address it. I got my bank involved and a day later the upper was sitting on the porch. Now, they don't sell to me because I complained. I fixed the upper myself after putting a BCM charging handle in it. The fix was unintentional, but really welcome.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
638 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 71 invisible), 2,926 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,666
Posts18,399,357
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.