Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Earlier this week I wrangled a deal on a current production (one year old) Colt Single Action Army. 4 3/4" blue with color case frame, and Colt Eagle grips. I don't have a photo, but it's essentially identical to the one on their web site.

[Linked Image from large.shootingsportsmedia.com]

So I thought I'd give my impression on how well they're made. All in all, I'd have to give it very high marks.

Fit - There isn't a detectable line between the grip frame/trigger frame and the revolver frame at all; perfect fit. Cylinder end play is exactly as it should be. Cylinder alignment is straight up perfect; it accepted a "match alignment rod" in all 6 chambers.

Finish - Polishing of the steel is just plain first rate, there are zero polishing ripples anywhere to be found. I will say, the level of polish on the frame could be better. It looks like they polished to a 320 grit on the frame, and a 500 grit on all the blued parts. Case hardening is nice, but nothing special. It's real bone charcoal CCH, but the lack of 500 grit polish gives the frame a rather subdued look. Colors are very much like in the above photo, leaning toward the blues in color with dark browns and very little rust color to it. Polishing the flats of the hammer is a little on the coarse side when compared to older Colts, but not enough that it looks out of place...Again, I'd estimate at a 320 grit.

Overall, it's VERY pleasing to the eye.

Sights - Sights are typical 3rd generation with a square notch at the rear.
Sight regulation - Nearly perfect... Shooting light Cowboy loads, bullets dropped just a little low, and she regulated perfectly with what I would call a "standard" .45 Colt load. So I'm absolutely delighted about that.

Grips - Modern polymer versions of the original Gutta Percha "Colt Eagle" grips. My grips are expertly fit to the gun, and serial numbered on the inside. I have always loved the Colt Eagle grips, so I doubt I'll be making a change anytime soon.

Trigger - 4.6lbs with noticable creep...that will have to be addressed. Still, the creep wasn't enough to hamper good shooting, just annoying to someone who is used to good triggers.

How does she shoot?
First 4 rounds offhand at 10 yards all went through the same hole, and then I completely shanked the next shot. I later managed to put all 6 in the same hole, and it was very satisfying. So, she shoot's alright. At 25 yards my one and only 5 shot group was under 2"; again, delighted!

Overall thoughts - I'm thoroughly delighted.

GB1

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the heads-up. I wouldn't mind having a new 3rd gen gun.
Bob

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
In April I walked into a small gun shop in Green Valley, AZ, where I spend my winters, and there in the display case was a brand new Colt SAA 4 3/4" in .45 Colt. I gathered all my strength and walked out. The next day, I wimped out and went back. It was still there, so I bought it. Mine is also superbly built and finished. The only fly in the ointment was that it shot about 3" to the left at 25 yards. I called Colt and they sent me a shipping label. They have had it now since late June, and I hope to get it back soon. I almost didn't return it, but I am a fairly serious shooter and I knew it would bug me if I didn't get the issue resolved.

It is on the bottom left in this picture:

[Linked Image]

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've heard that the ones they make nowadays are as good as they've ever made them.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Wyatt Earp seemed to like colts

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
In April I walked into a small gun shop in Green Valley, AZ, where I spend my winters, and there in the display case was a brand new Colt SAA 4 3/4" in .45 Colt. I gathered all my strength and walked out. The next day, I wimped out and went back. It was still there, so I bought it. Mine is also superbly built and finished. The only fly in the ointment was that it shot about 3" to the left at 25 yards. I called Colt and they sent me a shipping label. They have had it now since late June, and I hope to get it back soon. I almost didn't return it, but I am a fairly serious shooter and I knew it would bug me if I didn't get the issue resolved.

[Linked Image]

1st - Nice sixguns my friend!!

2nd - That's kinda how it went down for me. Saw the gun, price was downright reasonable, and after some pissing & moaning on my part; I decided I had to have it.

3rd - Good call on sending it back to Colt. Correcting that problem is a good piece of work when you don't have a stack of barrels to choose from. The barrel needs to be turned, and when you do that, you have to make sure you still have enough resistance that the barrel doesn't work its way loose in the future. Colt can do it better than most anyone else. With that "Royal Blue" finish, its just way too easy to mar up the finish while trying to get it right.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by GunGeek

[Linked Image]

1st - Nice sixguns my friend!!

2nd - That's kinda how it went down for me. Saw the gun, price was downright reasonable, and after some pissing & moaning on my part; I decided I had to have it.

3rd - Good call on sending it back to Colt. Correcting that problem is a good piece of work when you don't have a stack of barrels to choose from. The barrel needs to be turned, and when you do that, you have to make sure you still have enough resistance that the barrel doesn't work its way loose in the future. Colt can do it better than most anyone else. With that "Royal Blue" finish, its just way too easy to mar up the finish while trying to get it right.

Thank you, Mr. Geek! My first Cowboy Gun Stage occurred about 30 years ago. I am in the climax of my second Cowboy Gun Stage as we speak. It's a disease, but not a painful one. They will have to tighten the barrel to move the POI, and I also felt that Colt was the best place to send it. If some gunsmith Bubba'd it up, I would be up a creek. But if Colt messes it up, I would still wind up with a new SAA.

The guns on the left in the photo are all Colts; top to bottom they are a 3rd Gen. .44 Spl, a 2nd Gen. .38 Spl and the .45. On the right are a USFA .38 Spl., and two AWA Peacekeepers in .357. I had to get the barrels turned on the Colt .44 and the USFA to get them zeroed as well, and I had to file the front sights on the AWA's down a great deal to bring them to POA. They both shot about a foot low at 25 yards when I got them. They are nice guns too, with case colors done by Turnbull.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 09/16/20.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwp475

Maybe. Latest talk has him armed with a Smith and Wesson at the OK Corral alley turkey shoot. Opinions on which one vary, but a #3 single action of one model or another.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
So, how much are ya'll paying for a new Colt SAA? I'd love to have one.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Maybe. Latest talk has him armed with a Smith and Wesson at the OK Corral alley turkey shoot. Opinions on which one vary, but a #3 single action of one model or another.

From what I've read the S&W theory has been debunked.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by blairvt

I paid a bit over $1,200.00 for a like-new, early 21st Century, example in .45 Colt (5.5" barrel) earlier this year. I made sure it had the removable cylinder bushing, as that's a mark of the better made 3rd Gen Colts. Shoots dead on.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

From what I've read the S&W theory has been debunked.
There really isn't any debunking it. The only thing left are opinions of dead folks on what was used. Newspaper articles of the time period seem to be about as accurate as current ones "the robber used an AR-14" and the like.

What do you think Wyatt Earp at the OK Corral and why? How do you think the "S&W theory" has been debunked?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

“The myth that Wyatt Earp used a Smith & Wesson during the 1881 shootout was perpetuated by the late Earp historian John Gilcrease, who owned an engraved Smith & Wesson American Model revolver with homemade wood grips that he claimed was the gun Wyatt used in the shootout. But two other early Wyatt Earp historians saw this Smith & Wesson when Gilcrease first bought it from descendants of the John Clum family, when the gun had original pearl grips presentation-inscribed to John Clum. This evidence establishes the gun belonged to Clum not Earp. By 1881 the American Model and its ammunition were obsolete, and it is doubtful Wyatt Earp would have trusted his life to such a gun. Based on the description by butcher Apollinar Bauer of the gun Earp used to buffalo (hit over the head) Tom McLaury on the morning of the shootout, the gun was probably a 10-inch-barrel Colt Single Action.”

http://truewestmagazine.com/wyatt-earps-pistol/

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I read it when it came out in True West. First, I wouldn't call the current iteration of True West much of a source. Secondly, the first part of the argument is compelling, but the latter isn't. The American really can't be called "obsolete" by 1881, IMO. Certainly there were better weapons available, but it wasn't really that old. More than likely the gun used by Earp to hit McLaury wasn't necessarily the one he later used in the shootout. For instance, the lore is that Virgil have Doc his shotgun in exchange for Doc's cane. Plenty could have happened but, it was probably the same gun. I don't necessarily trust the description of one witness on the gun. Personally, I highly doubt it was a 10" barreled Colt. I think it much more likely that it was a Smith and Wesson, regardless of whether the Gilcrease gun was it, or not.

Back to which S&W...I've read all sorts of things about which model #3 it was, not just the American.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've always wondered how Wyatt, and all the friends of Doc Holliday, avoided catching consumption from him. I thought that was an extremely contagious disease. Curable today, with massive doses of various antibiotics, but not at that time, so we would have heard about them coming down with it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Figure on about $1,750.00 plus tax.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I've always wondered how Wyatt, and all the friends of Doc Holliday, avoided catching consumption from him. I thought that was an extremely contagious disease. Curable today, with massive doses of various antibiotics, but not at that time, so we would have heard about them coming down with it.

They didn’t kiss each other. 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Figure on about $1,750.00 plus tax.

I guess I got a good deal. Are you talking new from the factory?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I know, but as I understand it, you can get it just from a little spittle contact, like hand to hand, then hand to face. Maybe, though, it isn't nearly as contagious as I thought.

PS Did his girlfriend come down with it?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I know, but as I understand it, you can get it just from a little spittle contact, like hand to hand, then hand to face. Maybe, though, it isn't nearly as contagious as I thought.

PS Did his girlfriend come down with it?

Never heard or read what caused the demise of “Big Nose” Kate. Most whores back than had Tuberculosis and VD. Most didn’t live very long.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/17/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 14 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 769 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.