Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m on the hunt for some new hunting boots. I wear Redwings and Thorogoods for work. Irish Setters and Thorogood hunting boots appear to be Chinkernese crap.

I like leather boots, as little plastic, Cordura, and rubber as possible. Not sitting in a box in Sasketchetoon in -80 temps, 200-600G Thinsulate is plenty. I hike, a lot, shale slopes in CO and rough limestone and granite hills in OK. Prefer a 10” boot but 8 or 12 is probably okay.

Don’t have White’s money, $300 or so. Danner USA made Elk Hunter’s are looking pretty good from here.

What say the fire?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tired of the "'Merica" disrespectful bullsh!t...

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
If that’s what upsets you about the magnitude of schit floating around on the internet it may be time to take a break and step outside for a while.

Sorry to of offended you. Any leads on some leather boots not from some Asian schithole that don’t cost as much as a used car?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think you’ve discovered the conundrum. Anything made in the USA is expensive. Most folks, when given a choice, will choose a more economical alternative.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only thing I can wear is Army boots. McRae first. Altama second. Yes, American made.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thorogood Made in USA

Couple USA hunting boots.

Several military style insulated boots the may work for hiking type boots

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Kid I have had a pair of Danner USA Elk hunters going on 9 years this fall 600 gram., Love them. they are starting to show some ware now!but I paid alot way back when for them!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
If that’s what upsets you about the magnitude of schit floating around on the internet it may be time to take a break and step outside for a while.

Sorry to of offended you. Any leads on some leather boots not from some Asian schithole that don’t cost as much as a used car?

Nah, not offended, just disgusted.
I can't speak to the boots, but at a time when everything patriots hold dear is trashed and marginalized, the term 'Merica' is just more disrespectful [bleep]. It's ironic in that some think "Merica" is somehow more patriotic. We are America and Americans, at least many of us are proud to be such.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Love my danners the ELK and jungles I have a pair of both I'm pretty big so hard on boots and they hold up for me

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wore out a pair of Danner Pronghorns back before they went overseas. They were outstanding boots but when I went to replace them the new ones were obviously of lower quality.

It seems maybe Danner has seen the light as they’re pushing several models of US made hunting boots. I just don’t have anywhere even close to local to look them over and don’t know anyone who has a pair.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Those Danners are about the only USA made boots that I know of that meet your requirements. Lately I've stated wearing hikers much more so than "hunting" boots and I haven't owned insulated boots in at least 20 years. I've hunted in snow and in temps down to 0 with good socks and uninsulated boots

Most Keens are imported, but this boot is USA made and mostly leather.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-DU...lor=1020218&cgid=mens_footwear_boots

And while I try to avoid Chinese made boots/shoes, buying USA REALLY limits choices. There are lots of options from Europe that are very good quality. I'd rather send my money there than China. I bought a pair of these in March and turkey hunted all Spring with them. I was able to use a 20% off coupon along with my REI dividends to get them under $250. I'll be wearing these for a long time. These are NOT goretex boots. IME once properly treated they are just as waterproof, much lighter, and cooler than goretex boots

https://www.rei.com/product/119923/lowa-baffin-pro-ll-ii-hiking-boots-mens

They have goretex

https://www.rei.com/product/887959/lowa-tibet-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

and a taller boot

https://www.rei.com/product/105340/lowa-tibet-gtx-hi-hiking-boots-mens

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can’t help ya with the boots but anyone going out of there way to buy Made in the USA is doing alright in my book. I will say this much in broomd’s defense if everyone cared about this country as much as he does we’d be a lot better of.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
JMR40 has some good advice above. To add to it a little..... Danners are great boots. I've had several pair over the years. Like you I strive to buy USA made. The trouble with Danner is that they are narrow. I am going on an Elk hunt this year and I am in the process of buying new boots. Just recently I have been going through hell trying to get boots that fit because my feet are WIDE. Danner EEE were still tight so I bought a boot stretcher and went to town. A month later I think they are good to go. During that month I found Lathrop and Sons from a recommendation here. Their boots are made in Italy and are also great quality. I bought a pair from them because they do custom sizing and make the footbed fit your foot. I had them and had to send them back for minor adjustment. I should have them back any day...Lowa are also good, my buddy decided on them and I am waiting on a pair of hikers from Lowa to come in the mail (also custom sized from Lathrop). I also will send my money to Europe long before I send it to some Asian sweatshop, just my .02

Last edited by bobinpa; 09/15/20.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
There’s a local place that sells Kenetreks for just over cost.

PM me if you’re interested.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
If you like Whites, look for some Hawthornes. Similar, same manufacturer (they were thirty years ago, anyway), but much less expensive. Never seen Whites or Hawthornes with insulation.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I wore out a pair of Danner Pronghorns back before they went overseas. They were outstanding boots but when I went to replace them the new ones were obviously of lower quality.

It seems maybe Danner has seen the light as they’re pushing several models of US made hunting boots. I just don’t have anywhere even close to local to look them over and don’t know anyone who has a pair.

Was at that Danner boot factory a couple weeks ago.

They have definitely increased their domestic model offerings since a last visit.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by broomd

Nah, not offended, just disgusted.
I can't speak to the boots, but at a time when everything patriots hold dear is trashed and marginalized, the term 'Merica' is just more disrespectful [bleep]. It's ironic in that some think "Merica" is somehow more patriotic. We are America and Americans, at least many of us are proud to be such.

Actually we are the United States of America and in some parts of the World they do not understand just the America reference, because there are many countries that can claim the America moniker being from North, Central, or South America. If we are nit picking. grin

Arcus Venator
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by JMR40
Those Danners are about the only USA made boots that I know of that meet your requirements. Lately I've stated wearing hikers much more so than "hunting" boots and I haven't owned insulated boots in at least 20 years. I've hunted in snow and in temps down to 0 with good socks and uninsulated boots

Most Keens are imported, but this boot is USA made and mostly leather.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-DU...lor=1020218&cgid=mens_footwear_boots

And while I try to avoid Chinese made boots/shoes, buying USA REALLY limits choices. There are lots of options from Europe that are very good quality. I'd rather send my money there than China. I bought a pair of these in March and turkey hunted all Spring with them. I was able to use a 20% off coupon along with my REI dividends to get them under $250. I'll be wearing these for a long time. These are NOT goretex boots. IME once properly treated they are just as waterproof, much lighter, and cooler than goretex boots

https://www.rei.com/product/119923/lowa-baffin-pro-ll-ii-hiking-boots-mens

They have goretex

https://www.rei.com/product/887959/lowa-tibet-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

and a taller boot

https://www.rei.com/product/105340/lowa-tibet-gtx-hi-hiking-boots-mens

I have been wearing a pair of low end Danner hikers for a couple years every day for work, for a couple years.
It was time for a new pair. I had a some Cabelas points, so I spent a couple hundred bucks on Irish Setters this time.

I absolutely can not wear them. Zero arch support.

So I went back to the drawing board, and purchased a pair of Keen hikers. I have been wearing them at work for 12 hour days, seven days a week on concrete for a couple months. They passed that test with flying colors.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
TheKid;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day was a good one for you and this finds you and yours well.

Typically I'm somewhat reluctant to get into boot threads because I've come to believe that it makes a substantial difference how big the boot is and the weight of the wearer as well.

This was driven home to me way back in the day when I had a pair of Canadian made Prospector boots that I really liked and ran into another chap - who was nearly double my 150lbs and several sizes larger than my 8½ EE - who wore out a pair in a single season.

So then sir, with the understanding that I'm not a big guy and the boots are medium/small that I wear - I've had years and years of good service from Danner Hood Winter Lights.

https://global.danner.com/hood-winter-light-8-brown-200g.html

While I looked at some Elk Hunters, they were to my way of thinking at the time, substantially heavier feeling than the Hood Winter Lights - which again is what I bought.

They were resoled once by a place in Vancouver and while I still wear them cutting firewood, they're close to worn out as far as being too loose to give decent support.

The boots I bought to replace them were Meindls - some boot that they bring into Canada that's a tall, heavy but skookum boot which is okay again, but took much, much longer to break in than the Danners.

Hopefully that was useful sir, good luck whichever way you decide and all the best to you this season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 59 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.