24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have this TBC that was in my truck when I bought it, but I've never had a trailer with electric brakes until now. I bought a 20' 10K car hauler w/ dual axles and EBs. I searched online for Brake Master TBC manual, but I didn't find much. Anyone have a manual for this or know how to set it up and use it. It's already installed, but the brakes on the trailer are maxing out when I brake softly. Thanks!

[Linked Image]

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
GB2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know anything about that one, but there should be a button or dial to adjust output.

If all else fails, get a Tekonsha Prodigy.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
... there should be a button or dial to adjust output...

This. If you can't find the control or the manual, replace it.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know anything about that one, but there should be a button or dial to adjust output.

This on both counts. If you have a time based controller they tend to lock the brakes when you drag the pedal while slowly slowing down. You can turn the gain down, which slows the initial aggressiveness of the brakes, but they still ramp up over time. The Prodigy is inertia based. It has a small accelerometer/pendulum that controls the brakes. The harder you brake, the harder the trailer brakes. If you lightly drag the brakes of the truck, the trailer does the same without lock-in up. I have had both and prefer the prodigy.

mch Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have not seen one of those for years. You should be able to adjust the brakes with that little sliding rheostat on top of the controller. Push to the right for less braking action and left for more.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by K1500

This on both counts. If you have a time based controller they tend to lock the brakes when you drag the pedal while slowly slowing down. You can turn the gain down, which slows the initial aggressiveness of the brakes, but they still ramp up over time. The Prodigy is inertia based. It has a small accelerometer/pendulum that controls the brakes. The harder you brake, the harder the trailer brakes. If you lightly drag the brakes of the truck, the trailer does the same without lock-in up. I have had both and prefer the prodigy.

What happens if your backing it up a hill?

MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I already adjusted it all the way to the right for 'less' braking force, but the sudden jerking when even minimally applying the brakes is annoying. I did find the 'time' adjustment on the side, and I'll try to lower that as well to see if it helps.

After looking at new TBCs they don't seem to be expensive, so start listing good models that ya'll have used before. I might install a new one just so I can have a modern model with comprehensive instructions. My next topic here might be air bags, to help with carrying weight in the bed while pulling... laugh

Thanks again guys.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Tekonsha Prodigy is what I have in my Ford Super Duty and use it with a 7000# 14ft utility trailer. It works great.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by K1500

What happens if your backing it up a hill?

Nothing unless you apply the truck brakes. It isn’t activated until the controller sees the service brakes on.

Last edited by K1500; 09/15/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both of my 3/4 tons have the integrated controller and they work fine. Before those trucks I bought a time based controller (in a hurry and didn’t do much research) and hated it. Shortly thereafter I ditched it for a prodigy and was much, much happier.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is there a gain knob?
From what I recall you crank the gain up until the light changes then back off a bit.
Then test on a flat strait section of road at 15mph to see where they lock up, adjust
Then go on to a 35mph version of same.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
171 members (12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 15 invisible), 1,842 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.