Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
fremont Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bought my 7-08 M70 Fwt in 2009. Used it this past November. Short hunt--3 days--with no precip. Put gun away (with humidifier) and was suprised to see rust on the bolt a few weeks ago. Cleaned it up but discovered that trigger pull was at around 6-7# from the 3.5# that it was from the factory. Took trigger out and gave it a long soak in Kroil--no difference. Weird how it changed that dramatically. Assumed that the rust on the bolt was somehow related to trigger pull. Don't see how to open case, so I've decided to go Timney route. Wanted less than 3.5# anyhow.

Murphy was a grunt.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
And some say the new model 70 is the best yet..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by fremont
Bought my 7-08 M70 Fwt in 2009. Used it this past November. Short hunt--3 days--with no precip. Put gun away (with humidifier) and was suprised to see rust on the bolt a few weeks ago. Cleaned it up but discovered that trigger pull was at around 6-7# from the 3.5# that it was from the factory. Took trigger out and gave it a long soak in Kroil--no difference. Weird how it changed that dramatically. Assumed that the rust on the bolt was somehow related to trigger pull. Don't see how to open case, so I've decided to go Timney route. Wanted less than 3.5# anyhow.
Whoever thought of - and designed that pos MOA trigger - should be covered in tar and feathers...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Is there a trigger like the old one that can be put in it? I never had a problem with the old style.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 09/11/20.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Is there a trigger like the old one that can be put in it? I never had a problem with the old style.

Seems they designed the new receiver for the MOA, not set up to retrofit the original M-70 classic trigger.

Going with a new trigger is one thing. Designing the receiver so the old style couldn't be retrofitted is the biggest flaw, IMO. The fatal flaw in some camps.

Otherwise, from what is reported, those rifles are pretty well made.

DF

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I think triggertech has one in progress.The new trigger is a POS, I had one unfortunately and replaced the spring with an Ernie Spring.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Seems I read there were some issues concerning Trigger Tech CS.

I've never used one, just asking.

I've used Timney's for years and am satisfied with their product and their CS.

I'm not sure what aftermarket triggers are now offered for MOA equipped M-70's, but would be researching that if I had one.

DF

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I hated the MOA trigger on mine, couldn't get it dialed down light enough or with any consistency in the pull weight. Swapped it out for a Timney trigger.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Seems I read there were some issues concerning Trigger Tech CS.

I've never used one, just asking.

I've used Timney's for years and am satisfied with their product and their CS.

I'm not sure what aftermarket triggers are now offered for MOA equipped M-70's, but would be researching that if I had one.

DF

I read that from one poster. Who apparently thinks that business that operates with a skeleton staff because of Covid should provide the same level of service as a normal one. I discounted his thread ...................Easily.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I love the shoe on the MOA but hate the pull. Put a Timey on it and got it tuned to a nice crisp pull, but I hate the almost flat shoe of the Timney. I'm considering trying the Earnie spring in the MOA.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gzig5
I love the shoe on the MOA but hate the pull. Put a Timey on it and got it tuned to a nice crisp pull, but I hate the almost flat shoe of the Timney. I'm considering trying the Earnie spring in the MOA.

The MOA trigger is not a bad trigger once you install the ernie the gunsmith spring in it. Ive done quite a few and the majority of them were right at 2.5 pounds. The gripe i have with the MOA is its a box trigger and browning should have left the original design in the new model 70. They were trying to improve the rifle by upgrading the trigger. A Timney is also a very lateral move that does nothing to help improve the rifle. A box trigger is a box trigger. You let them get corroded on the inside and thats on you (op). One reason the old design is far superior.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by gzig5

The MOA trigger is not a bad trigger once you install the ernie the gunsmith spring in it. Ive done quite a few and the majority of them were right at 2.5 pounds. The gripe i have with the MOA is its a box trigger and browning should have left the original design in the new model 70. They were trying to improve the rifle by upgrading the trigger. A Timney is also a very lateral move that does nothing to help improve the rifle. A box trigger is a box trigger. You let them get corroded on the inside and thats on you (op). One reason the old design is far superior.
FAR, FAR superior...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.