Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's a 'I hate to say I told you so' story, but to reiterate, Canada has extended the closures in small amounts to keep the US from becoming too angry. We will keep the border closed because of the number of cases in the US.

Canada to keep border with U.S. closed until at least Oct. 21, says source

Source says Canadians should expect border to remain closed for longer
Katie Simpson, Peter Zimonjic · CBC News · Posted: Sep 15, 2020 7:35 PM ET

The federal government will extend the Canada-U.S. land border closure for another 30 days until Oct. 21, CBC News has learned.

A source with direct knowledge of the situation, who spoke to CBC on the condition they not be named, said Canadians should expect the possibility the border will remain closed for longer.

The source told CBC News that the federal government is waiting to see evidence that the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States is being managed efficiently before the government considers opening up non-essential travel between the two countries.

The border has been closed to non-essential travel for months. With caseloads still high in many U.S. states, the two governments have mutually agreed to continue restricting movement across the world's longest international border.

The closure has resulted in a dramatic drop in traffic between the two countries, although essential workers — such as truck drivers and health-care professionals — are still able to cross by land. Canadians are still able to fly to U.S. destinations.

In June a man travelling from Alaska to the continental United States was charged with violating Canada's Quarantine Act. He was accused of twice failing to follow COVID-19 public safety rules while in Banff.

If he's found to have violated a quarantine order, he could be fined up to $750,000 or sentenced to six months in jail.

U.S. travellers are barred from driving through national parks, leisure sites and tourism locations and receive a hang tag for their rear-view mirror indicating the date they must depart Canada.

However, some Banff residents have started calling the rule the "Alaska loophole" after spotting American plates around the Alberta tourism hotspot.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-us-border-closure-extended-1.5725589

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe the U.S. should adopt the same policies toward Canadians.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
They could, but it would be seen as retaliatory. Given the large difference in the numbers of COVID cases between the two countries, there haven't been any too many objections. It is what it is.

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/international/

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Its complete insanity. Ive been working on a road job the last few weeks and we are getting car loads of asians coming through the territory. Many cant even speak english, but they have BC plates ( rentals) so they are allowed in.

Private business owners are getting fed up and from what Im hearing both the Territorial and Federal governments are going to pay for this nonsense in the next elections.

Anyone with an IQ 2 points above plant life should be able to figure out that the spike in numbers in the US is directly related to the number of tests they are doing. Canada has far more cases than most realize, they just aren't testing nearly as many people.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Maybe the U.S. should adopt the same policies toward Canadians.

The US does not have to do that. We are already restricted from travel there by our own gov'ts here in the east by a mandatory 14day self isolation before we can go back into public places and / or work. Long story short is that we do not want to travel anywhere, south included.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The leadership in the U.S. has not been great when it comes to the pandemic. In the New England states the governor’s got it right, although painful for many in various businesses.
Taxes have only one way to go after all the stimulus by the Fed’s, regardless who gets elected.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We rescheduled our moose trip to NF, hopefully next year will be better.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sigh, I'll be busy helping get the crops in. Ontario fishing is about over this year.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Not that I don't like Canadians, but if none came here, we sure wouldn't miss them! Good for goose , good for Gander!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by abbydog
The leadership in the U.S. has not been great when it comes to the pandemic. In the New England states the governor’s got it right, although painful for many in various businesses.
Taxes have only one way to go after all the stimulus by the Fed’s, regardless who gets elected.

New England isn't representative of the entire U.S., 14.8M people living in 72K square miles, with 77% of those people living in 24% of the space that is represented by CT, MA, and RI.

In contrasts, Neberaska has 1.9M people in 77K Square miles.

The point being that a good choice in a densely populated area may be excessively restrictive for a thinly populated area.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by abbydog

Cuomo did it right? Lamont did it right?

You are drinking too much of the kool-aid.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
For those who think the Cdn govt has it in for US citizens, why would you think that?

The decision to restrict movement of people back and forth might have officially been okayed by a politician, but the evidence comes from doctors. Don't think for a minute that Trudeau decided this on his own. He has trouble tying his shoes. He uses velcro.

Personally, I have no problem with "being too safe". But my opinion wasn't solicited either.

This data is from yesterday.

The Cdn cases on the left are the actual number of persons who had or presently have COVID-19. 90% of that number have already recovered. The x10 number to the right is for anyone who might say, but Canada's population is 10% of the US. So I multiplied by 10.

Cdn Cases
139K - Raw nos. Canada has 2% of the sickness rate of the US - x10 = 1.39M (adjusted - approx. 5 times fewer cases than the US)

Deaths
9,188 - Raw nos. Canada has less than 5% of the deaths - x 10 = 91,880 Raw nos. (adjusted - Canada has experienced less than half of the deaths)
--

US Cases
6.61M

Deaths

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
For those who think the Cdn govt has it in for US citizens, why would you think that?

The decision to restrict movement of people back and forth might have officially been okayed by a politician, but the evidence comes from doctors. Don't think for a minute that Trudeau decided this on his own. He has trouble tying his shoes. He uses velcro.

Personally, I have no problem with "being too safe". But my opinion wasn't solicited either.

This data is from yesterday.

The Cdn cases on the left are the actual number of persons who had or presently have COVID-19. 90% of that number have already recovered. The x10 number to the right is for anyone who might say, but Canada's population is 10% of the US. So I multiplied by 10.

Cdn Cases
139K - Raw nos. Canada has 2% of the sickness rate of the US - x10 = 1.39M (adjusted - approx. 5 times fewer cases than the US)

Deaths
9,188 - Canada has less than 5% of the deaths - x 10 = 91,880 Raw nos. (adjusted - Canada has experienced less than half of the deaths)
--

US Cases
6.61M

Deaths

That ^ is true only if you believe the official numbers. Some very credible sources put the actual covid deaths in the US at 6% of the official numbers you cite. Right from the beginning it was apparent that this mess was ripe for inflated numbers. Hospitals in the US were getting something like 13k for every single covid patient that walked in the door. The price went up if they actually had to do anything.

My opinion wasn't solicited either, but its pretty hard to deny the real numbers that are coming out now. The average age of those who have actually died from covid is 79. Last time I looked at the stats of my home state of California there had been something like 9000 deaths..... out of roughly 40 million people. ( Canada has about 37 million so the numbers are close) Break it all down and you have a much greater chance of getting killed on your way to work than you do from covid.

I dont know about the CND government having it "in" for Americans, but I can tell you this first hand, American travellers have been treated like dirt by Yukon and BC residents. Its made the papers here. Ive been staying at one of the few "designated" hotels right here in Whitehorse for work the last few weeks where Americans are "allowed" to overnight on their way through the Territory. Ive seen it more than once myself. Makes you wonder if those people or anyone they talk to will ever want to come back, to hunt, fish or anything else. I wouldn't.

We've "played it safe" long enough. Lets get back to business while we still have a chance to dig ourselves out of the hole we are in. If you're worried about getting sick, stay home.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by yukon254
That ^ is true only if you believe the official numbers. Some very credible sources put the actual covid deaths in the US at 6% of the official numbers you cite

Then what you have to do is provide credible sources to support your position. laugh

This is from the US today, and indicates 6.64 million cases and 196,000 deaths.

More Stats

CTV News

Here are some conspiracy theories to add to your list.

Conspiracy Theories

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am thinking that the deferral of my 16 day goat, moose and elk hunt out of Toad River BC to 2021 might be great with little to no hunting in the area this year. The outfitter hinted early on and has now requested a bit more deposit prior to the hunt and I have zero issues with that.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Heym06
Not that I don't like Canadians, but if none came here, we sure wouldn't miss them! Good for goose , good for Gander!

I’ll tell my grandson, he and several colleagues are going to Oregon tomorrow to fight fire. His employer volunteered them, is paying costs, etc.

Probably just as happy to stay here

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
And another FYI....land border to the US , from Canada, is closed to Canadians and has been since March

Except for ‘essential services ‘

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lorne;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day was a good one for you and this finds you well.

If you're in touch with your grandson, let him know there's lots of folks here in BC wishing them well in their endeavors for sure.

We're within a half hour of the US border here and know or better said knew a few folks in the forest fire fighting business. Whenever possible they'll go stateside and help out if asked to do so.

It's my understanding the Canuck crews are typically quite good at what they do, which makes sense as they've had a metric ton of interface fire practice here in BC in the last few years.

Anyways, for a lot of us rural mountain and bush dwellers, the fire fighters have a special spot in our prayers.

All the best to you all this fall sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Lorne;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day was a good one for you and this finds you well.

If you're in touch with your grandson, let him know there's lots of folks here in BC wishing them well in their endeavors for sure.

We're within a half hour of the US border here and know or better said knew a few folks in the forest fire fighting business. Whenever possible they'll go stateside and help out if asked to do so.

It's my understanding the Canuck crews are typically quite good at what they do, which makes sense as they've had a metric ton of interface fire practice here in BC in the last few years.

Anyways, for a lot of us rural mountain and bush dwellers, the fire fighters have a special spot in our prayers.

All the best to you all this fall sir.

Dwayne

Dwayne

Always good to hear from you. Hopeful that the world is treating you and yours well.

Every day is a good one , today I had the pleasure of helping my brother move some cattle after work. I find myself enjoying that type of thing more all the time although I have to be a little more careful as my reflexes are slower each year 😉

Will be happy to do so , he is going to let me know where in Oregon their destination is later this evening.

We too are within 25 miles, as the crow flies, from the Montana border and have much in common with our neighbors across the 49th. This dry prairie country has limited brush but , when the occasion arises, the firefighters are quite welcome 👍 sight.

Thanks again for the thoughts

All the best to you and yours this fall season

Lorne

Last edited by Lorne; 09/16/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lorne

I’ll tell my grandson, he and several colleagues are going to Oregon tomorrow to fight fire. His employer volunteered them, is paying costs, etc.

I'm sure that there will be lots of good folk in Oregon that will be glad to see those CDNs arrive to help out.

There is no goose & gander. As mentioned earlier in the thread, our own gov't has restricted our travel south with measures in place to limit it.

That's a shame you feel that way about those who visit. On a normal year we have lots of Americans here every summer and they are more than welcome.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

592 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 22250rem, 62 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,279
Posts18,448,505
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.