Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gunswizard
If a seller's ad doesn't say anything about offers good form would be to ask via PM what his/her best price would be. I recently had a buyer offer 40% less than my asking price in an effort to discern the least that I'd take for my item.

Actually the best offer tactic is BS. I always respond with my best offer is what I have it listed for, but I am open to your ideas.
Maybe it's just me, but IMO its asking the seller to cut his own throat.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by DennisB
Originally Posted by 300Winnie
Also, I’m not sure if there is a law regarding this, but the last time I sold a gun on the “fire” I got a call from the receiving FFL tearing me a new one and threatening to send it back since I hadn’t included a copy of my drivers license.

Not being a dealer and having shipped many guns to FFLs, I've never shipped to one that didn't require this. When I receive a gun my FFL requires a drivers license as well and he will not accept the transfer without one. It should be made clear before the gun is shipped though.

A drivers license is not legally required.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by DennisB
Also, I’m not sure if there is a law regarding this, but the last time I sold a gun on the “fire” I got a call from the receiving FFL tearing me a new one and threatening to send it back since I hadn’t included a copy of my drivers license.

Not being a dealer and having shipped many guns to FFLs, I've never shipped to one that didn't require this. When I receive a gun my FFL requires a drivers license as well and he will not accept the transfer without one. It should be made clear before the gun is shipped though.

A drivers license is not legally required.

Didn't say it was. Said from my considerable experience it's a common practice and something the FFL can require. They have to enter a name in their books. I can't imagine doing that without some form of ID.

Those who call magazines "clips" and cartridges "bullets" ought not to be taken seriously. Jeff Cooper.
We might add those who call bullets "boolits.
R
R
If buying, consider using PayPal rather than a money order as it provides you with some ability to cancel the funds transfer in the event of a rip-off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just don't let on that the transaction is firearms related.

They'll cancel your funds, revoke your citizenship and sell your children to Arabs.

Well, maybe not revoke your citizenship...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
A friend bought a firearm using PP. They banned him for LIFE.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Wyodogger
A friend bought a firearm using PP. They banned him for LIFE.

I had a couple friends who used Pay Pal to buy guns brass or other shooting items. This was around 10 years ago. Pay Pal locked their accounts and they could not get to their money to pay rent etc. The account was frozen for months. They could not get Pay Pal removed from their accounts either. They ended up starting new accounts and closing the old ones to get rid of it. When I got married about the same time, we started fresh accounts and pay pal has not been allowed on mine, and I dont see a change to that in the future. I dont need someone else having more power or authority over my money than I do.

Tag

You know you're from Oregon if; You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still raining, and construction
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve had good luck buying and selling here, was able to sell things that would have gone in the trash.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I typically pay with a USPS money order or the nice thing on most forums, a personal check is acceptable and hold until funds are cleared. TN requires a copy of drivers license if the sale is from an individual seller.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Look out for Larry Root!

Holy blast from the past Batman!!!!!!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I use Paypal to send money to some random people here on the fire from time to time. Without exception, each of those people has then shortly sent me through some transport and delivery service, for no particular reason, some item that I happened to be wanting. It has been one happy coincidence after another for years.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The reason a driver's license is required is that the FFL's bound book has to list who the gun is coming from as well as who it is going to, and that requires legal ID.

The ATF can shut him down in a flash if his bound book isn't accurate and complete, and they routinely audit those books every other year or so.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite is when some one is selling something and some one else jumps on the thread and says, "I saw them for sale for less at Joe Blows".

I was looking for bullets once and got a PM from a guy offering a different kind of bullet then what I was looking for. I asked him what he wanted for them. He said make and offer. I made and offer and it offended him as he ripped me a new one and said he was removing him self from the conversation. I thought you dip stick, I didn't ask for those types of bullets, you contacted me and never gave a price, then when I asked the price you were still to gamey to give a price and wanted me to make a offer, so then you get offended because the offer was not high enough.

The dip stick had three opportunities to give and asking price for the bullets I was not looking for. Evidently he just was not man enough to say what he wanted for his bullets. Instead he gets his panties in a wad and "removes himself from the conversation".

Then a couple of times I have said , "I will take it" and get a PM saying it was sold to some one else. I go to OP and it is still for sale. Alrighty then............

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When buying, my single best piece of advice is to make sure you speak with the seller on the phone at some point in time before you send money. If they don't want to talk on the phone, RED FLAG!

Perry
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sorry, not a Gunwriter...

Perry
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Be aware lots and lots of thieves here, I know from experience. I will sell but never buy

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

Had this happen to me as well ..
...once.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Maybe some of you might remember my episode with some liar and thieve ( about2014- the guy that shot the bear in the azz) over a ruger 22 . Had a fire member rescue me, but the episode is still in my memory.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Obtw over the years I’ve bought and sold several firearms with Larry Root, all Ruger #1. I’ve never had one bad buy/sell with him.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
465 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 47 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.