Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Tesla is announcing some new battery technology on Tuesday, 9/22. It might change some fence-sitter minds.

Buy Teslas! 20% of my portfolio is TSLA. laugh

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've said many times that if electric vehicles are going to be viable for the masses the car companies will have to standardize the dimensions and

capacities of the batteries so that they can be exchanged at fuel stations.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by driggy
My sister i law works at an Orthopedic clinic/hospital and the head surgeon has a Tesla. He lives approximately 30 minutes out of the Fargo area. He discovered quickly the only thing the Tesla was good at in the winter, was to leave him stranded with a dead battery. Couldn't even make it into work most days in the winter.

All the tests I've seen are at freezing or 0 deg and they don't look good.
In a lot of places one doesn't see zero for months. I want to see a extended test done at the auto test track in International Falls. Let's see what it can do at -20.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Thanks. I'll pass on a Tesla. I assume that air conditioners will reduce the range as much as heaters.

One drive I take is 230 miles, refuel, and then 205 miles. Sounds like that would take two days or more with an electric.

I love how you say this as though you were on the fence.

LOL

Well no I wasn't. I was concerned about what might happen when the Left tells Biden to legislate normal cars out of existence.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
Car and Driver did a test on a Tesla Model 3 long range. Their test suggests 60 Mile drop in range in weather around freezing and all seat heaters and heat on full blast. About 34 miles less with the heat set to 72 and no seat warmers. It seems logical that in below zero weather, the range penalty will be substantially higher.

The model Y is outfitted with a heat pump, rather than the less efficient resistive coils of other Teslas like the 3 tested, and should do better.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a31739529/how-much-does-climate-control-affect-ev-range/

Seat heaters?????

Bwahahahaha laugh

All my vehicles have a seat heater........................It's right here behind me all day, every day.............serves as padding when I sit down too.

Once the upholstery gets warmed up from my built in seat heater, as long as I'm sitting in the vehicle my seats stay warm.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Well no I wasn't. I was concerned about what might happen when the Left tells Biden to legislate normal cars out of existence.

How would Joe Biden be able to do that?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My brother just bought a Tesla yesterday. I think it is a "Y" at any rate, it cost $63,000.
Today we drove it 201 miles and it was just about "out of gas." It read 9 percent battery left when we stopped. And that was with very little A/C.

For charging, I just wired up a 220 dryer plug in his carport. So we bought this receptacle at Lowes for $15 and I wired it up. You can get a complete charge in 13 hours.
If you just plug it in to a regular 110 outlet it would take two days for a complete recharge.

We are disappointed with the cruising range, he was told it would go 300 miles. On a trip, with the A/C, you would need to stop and recharge every 200 miles.

You better put a 50 foot construction grade extention cord in the trunk because you might get low on battery some time, you might need to pull into some Corner Pantry and see if you can plug in and get a recharge.
On the 110 you get 4 miles worth of driving juice in one hour of charging.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Oh yes, my brother bought about $6K in Tesla stock 6 months ago, and he has made about $10K profit on it thus far.
I am not going to buy a Tesla but I think I will buy $10K in Tesla stock.

I will say that I never have seen a car dealership as busy as Tesla in Charlotte. They are selling 'em faster than they can make them.
Put down a deposit now and wait 2 months for delivery. We saw, in one hour, four other new customers showing up to pick up their new Teslas.

This dealership would have had no new cars for sale on the floor. Zero. Except, a guy put a down payment on one of those "gull wing" Teslas that cost $110K.
Before it was delivered, he changed his mind and bought a different model. So Charlotte went ahead and accepted delivery of this gull wing car. They put it out front yesterday.
The salesman was opening and closing the gull wing doors for me, it was pretty cool reminded me of a DeLorean.
They just put that car out on the floor and I bet it won't last long.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"maybe 220 miles on a good day"

No thanks. Everywhere I want to go (round trip) is farther than 220 miles). Everywhere I drive to on vacation is farther than that one way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Seat heaters?????

Bwahahahaha laugh

All my vehicles have a seat heater........................It's right here behind me all day, every day.............serves as padding when I sit down too.

Once the upholstery gets warmed up from my built in seat heater, as long as I'm sitting in the vehicle my seats stay warm.

I am not fond of the things, every time I get in a car with heated seats I think I done peed myself.....

Now, AIR CONDITIONED seats? Yes, please! No more swamp arse!

Originally Posted by Fugawe
I've said many times that if electric vehicles are going to be viable for the masses the car companies will have to standardize the dimensions and

capacities of the batteries so that they can be exchanged at fuel stations.

Not for a long, long, LONG time. The majority of the intellectual property in the EV field is in battery construction and management. It's what EV's are rated on more than anything.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
They're about as ungreen as you can imagine! Know what it takes to make those batteries?! How is the electricity produced to charge it?! Give me a break!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
My brother just bought a Tesla yesterday. I think it is a "Y" at any rate, it cost $63,000.
Today we drove it 201 miles and it was just about "out of gas." It read 9 percent battery left when we stopped. And that was with very little A/C.

For charging, I just wired up a 220 dryer plug in his carport. So we bought this receptacle at Lowes for $15 and I wired it up. You can get a complete charge in 13 hours.
If you just plug it in to a regular 110 outlet it would take two days for a complete recharge.

We are disappointed with the cruising range, he was told it would go 300 miles. On a trip, with the A/C, you would need to stop and recharge every 200 miles.

You better put a 50 foot construction grade extention cord in the trunk because you might get low on battery some time, you might need to pull into some Corner Pantry and see if you can plug in and get a recharge.
On the 110 you get 4 miles worth of driving juice in one hour of charging.

Just carry a generator with you.

Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My brother didn't buy it because of the "green" cool guy features of the car in fact he dislikes that it is considered an assault on "climate change." Brother and I think "climate change" is a bunch of BS.

And we were discussing that most of the electricity in America is from coal fired plants. And that electricity has to travel, maybe 70 miles to get to your charger, and in that distance much of the electricity is lost.
So in fact your Tesla is using coal fired power and not very efficiently.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
They're about as ungreen as you can imagine! Know what it takes to make those batteries?! How is the electricity produced to charge it?! Give me a break!

I haven’t met anybody that has bought one because they’re “green.”

Most people that want or buy one are car nuts.

And they have advantages as a commuter.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
And Li batteries are so clean and green to dispose of...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
My brother didn't buy it because of the "green" cool guy features of the car in fact he dislikes that it is considered an assault on "climate change." Brother and I think "climate change" is a bunch of BS.

And we were discussing that most of the electricity in America is from coal fired plants. And that electricity has to travel, maybe 70 miles to get to your charger, and in that distance much of the electricity is lost.
So in fact your Tesla is using coal fired power and not very efficiently.

Only 23% of electricity in the US comes from coal fired power plants. Natural Gas powers most plants now.
In your state of NC 33% comes from nuclear, 30% natural gas, 28% coal and the rest is mainly hydro and solar.
I'm not standing up for EV's but the coal argument isn't a very good one.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The best thing about all electric cars is, we don't have to buy one.......yet.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Astute remark whackem_stackem. In fact, two years ago our power was coal fired, and last year they switched to natural gas.
Still, natural gas gives off greenhouse gas and plenty of it, although less than coal.
And, our power has to travel 50 miles so much of it is lost in transmission.

I would like to see the comparison, natural gas powered electricity that had to travel over 50 miles of electric lines, to power a Tesla, vs a regular car that burns gasoline.
I will bet you that you get less "greenhouse gases" with the gasoline vehicle, in this instance, than you do with the Tesla.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"You can get a complete charge in 13 hours."

How fast is the electric meter spinning?

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"maybe 70 miles to get to your charger, and in that distance much of the electricity is lost."

Not as much as you'd think. The average loss in transmission lines is about 2% and in distribution lines about 5%.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (12344mag, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.