Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello again, getting ready to move on to the 200 grain ELDX in my son’s .300WM. This process of trying to find a load for 178/180’s has me second guessing my methods.

So, start with one powder, one powder charge and look for a node with seating depth...and then play with different powders/charge amounts...

OR,

Start with one or more powders and charge weights to find what seems to shoot the best and then move to seating depth adjustment to fine tune?

What say you?

Thank you for trying to keep me sane.

300winnie
PS. Also posted in Reloading/Big Game

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
According to the cheat sheet I got from Berger a while back, they recommend Method 1 with their bullets. I tend to pick a powder and play with charges, after getting as close to the lands as the magazine allows. Seldom futz around much with seating-depth as long as I get decent hunting accuracy with the bullet of choice.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I've struggled with load development as much as anybody so I can't give good advice, but one thing that occurs to me is: in the last 20 years or so, there are so many factory loads that shoot lights out in modern guns, using factory deep seated OAL dimensions....it makes me wonder if chasing the lands isn't secondary to barrel harmonics?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want to go down the rabbit hole here is an interesting study of bullet jump. Bottom line, the optimum (unless you want to continually chase the lands) is further back than most think.
I do powder charge first, find an accurate velocity node, then try seating adjustments.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Been handloading for nearly 50 yrs. now and have always been able to find an accurate load by means of powder charge. I have never fooled with seating depth, I have always seated bullets to loading manual COAL specs.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sorry you are having issues. I always start at .020" off the lands with cup and core bullets and also premiums like partitions. Then i adjust charge weight. Hence, "work up your load". On a 300wm, ill jump 1/2 a grain at a time until i reach max book loads. You'll see the accuracy nodes, as you work up and find the optimal charge weight.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've said that if accuracy was a foot long, then 10 inches of it is finding the right bullet. The remaining two inches are not achievable but some of it can be.

IMO changing powders holds the best probability.....then the amount of it and lastly the "jump" to the lands. All this assumes that the gun's bedding is fine and the scope is fine as well.

As a result of this I have decided that if I can get real 1 1/4" 5-shot groups. the frustration of improving on it isn't worth the gain......I'm a hunter and not a benchrest shooter.

BTW....there is absolutely nothing correct about what I just typed....it's simply the way I do things.....right or wrong!

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Been loading since ‘66 and I “grew up” just going at it with powder charge. I did experiment with my 243 varmint loads but my seating depth changes were rudimentary at best. I got more serious about it with a Hornady tool

My most accurate “carry around” rifle is probably a 221 FB, Model 700. I’ve related this before but on one occasion it put 10, 40 gr Berger HP into 0.505” at 100 yds. I figured that if I wanted to really investigate the two techniques that it would be the rifle to use. So I went at both ways, first changing powder charges and a recommended seating depth and then tinkering with seating depth both ways. Then I went the other way starting just barely off the lands with a middle of the road powder charge and then moving the seating depth. I could generally see a pattern in group tightening or loosening. Then to changing powder charges.

Not necessarily the perfect study design with me doing all the shooting but with both techniques, I ended up at the same point...the same powder and seating depth.

So now I still start with powder charge tests and if I get the velocities and reasonable accuracy I want, I’ll then go to seating depth. If get really low velocities or huge groups I'll go at it with another bullet first or second, with another powder. Someone once said, “good groups MAY repeat but bad groups will ALWAYS repeat.” 😊

Last edited by navlav8r; 09/16/20.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you everyone. Looks like I’ll stick to the way I’ve been doing it for 30+ years...pick a bullet and powder (or two or three) and work through charge weights first.

Glad to see I’m not alone in that camp, and for the most part it has worked well.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Moderate charge with a suitable powder, but always, seating depth first. This process has worked well for me.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
300 winnie.......

Remember an age old saying that is very true

Kiss the lands

Find pressure

Rock on

Most get lost on the rock on part

Measuring to the lands is an issue - Hornady Comparitor or Davidson Ogive gauges are used to measure ogive lengths vs OAL off the tip

Finding the pressure simple

Rock on....make adjustments

many loads per bullet, powder, and load can be accomplished in 30 rounds max

Work with one powder and bullet at a time, then move on. Be methodical, work up to find pressure. Then back off, work up carefully.

Do not use mixed brands of brass, stick with a single primer, then change once you have tweeked the powder charge, then work on seating depth.

Amazing accuracy is attainable from stock factory guns, chase the lands as leade grows, keep the copper out of your barrel

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 300Winnie
Hello again, getting ready to move on to the 200 grain ELDX in my son’s .300WM. This process of trying to find a load for 178/180’s has me second guessing my methods.

So, start with one powder, one powder charge and look for a node with seating depth...and then play with different powders/charge amounts...

OR,

Start with one or more powders and charge weights to find what seems to shoot the best and then move to seating depth adjustment to fine tune?

What say you?

Thank you for trying to keep me sane.

300winnie
PS. Also posted in Reloading/Big Game

Load to magazine length.....work up best loads........

its a 300 WM........not a target gun.......

Go kill an Elk

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
All you can do.......

leave .020 Short of OAL in touching the mag or problems will develop.

NON vld type of bullets help in spades in this regard.....think partitions...they are jump friendly!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Powder charge with experimentation with seating depths.

The lands will erode faster than most people realize, so be aware that you'll have to adjust bullet jump at least every few hundred rounds. More often if involved in precision benchrest shooting applications.

Better results may be experienced in seating at longer bullet jump measurements to start with for overall performance and reliability for hunting.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Been handloading for nearly 50 yrs. now and have always been able to find an accurate load by means of powder charge. I have never fooled with seating depth, I have always seated bullets to loading manual COAL specs.

= clueless and proud of it!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience both monolithic hunting bullets (such as Barnes, Hornady GMX, Nosler E-Tip, etc.) and many of today's high-BC lead-cores (NOT just Bergers) often shoot MUCH better when seated deeper. Have seen groups shrink by up to 75% when seating the same bullet up to .1 inch deeper, sometimes even more, when using the same powder charge.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by keith
Originally Posted by gunswizard

= clueless and proud of it!

WOW, have to agree with keith on this one, I don't have even one single rifle that the bullets are seated to loading manual COAL specs !!!!!!!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In my experience both monolithic hunting bullets (such as Barnes, Hornady GMX, Nosler E-Tip, etc.) and many of today's high-BC lead-cores (NOT just Bergers) often shoot MUCH better when seated deeper. Have seen groups shrink by up to 75% when seating the same bullet up to .1 inch deeper, sometimes even more, when using the same powder charge.

I agree on some rifles this is absolutely the case, but then there are others..............

My 300WM steadfastly refuses to shoot any bullet that is not touching the lands, my current load is Berger 210gr VLD .010" jammed

I also have a 22-250AI that shoots the 80gr Berger with a .010" jam

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, that's been my experience as well. Almost anything can work. In fact I believe my own .300 WM shoots the 210 VLD best when seated very close to the lands (but not jammed).

Which is why I keep an open mind on seating depth!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
If it works, it works...

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
634 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 70 invisible), 2,926 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,666
Posts18,399,357
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.