Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
2012 F350 with 99k.
Spent the last 3 weeks in Maine. On the trip home blew the cool side intercooler pipe. Turned a 12 hr trip into a 27 hr trip home. Tried calling every auto parts store, ford dealer, Walmart, Home Depot and Lowe’s to find the part or some stuff to make a repair on the side of the road, called a friends kid to pull the part from a truck and bring up to us....8 hr trip one way. He brought us the part and it lasted a grand total of 1.5 hrs until that one blew. The part came from a 2011. Now we were stuck in a lot 7 hrs from home. Luck finally shined down. Transport company guy had an empty trailer and was heading south. $400 later and me driving the transport truck halfway because the guy was tired and the truck was in my driveway. Created a support structure out of JB weld steel stick and wire to get me around until I could get a replacement. Subsequently found out the cool side intercooler pipe is on national back order thru Ford. Apparently there’s been a recent epidemic of these pipes failing and they’re out of stock. Most Aftermarket places are Also out of stock. I found a company in Indiana that had their own version so I bought 2 at $300 each. One for my truck and one for my buddy’s. $1000 breakdown due to a [bleep] plastic intercooler pipe that should’ve been made from metal or silicone at the factory. If you have a 6.7 Powerstroke, find the part and replace it. It’s not a question of if it’ll break, its a question of when. Trust me, It’ll be cheaper in the long run

Last edited by hunter4623; 09/16/20.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
So the actual hard pipe is made out of plastic and it fractured? Ouch, and yeah...I'd imagine someone will be cranking out AL ones to make a quick buck. We use plastic way too much as it is, especially on our vehicles. It makes me happy to say my newest vehicle is 20 years old, and it ain't because I can't afford a new one.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Yes the intercooler is attached to a rubber hose which is attached to a plastic “Boot” which attached to the intake. This is part of the roadside repair in progress. The hose clamp side attaches to the intake. The raised collar sheared perfectly along the seam where it joins the pipe.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I installed this yesterday. The one I bought for my buddy won’t be needed. His new truck arrived today. Dealer told him to put the repaired unit on and bring it in.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hunter4623; 09/17/20.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.