Campfire Regular
B
Yes grooved receiver and threaded for a suppressor

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I taught my boys on a marlin 15yn. The thing was dead on accurate. I doubt they make it anymore. The cz rocks. The rossi 22/410 is light and decent but is is a break action vs bolt.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Smith & Wesson M&P 22. Easy to shoot and collapsible stock is perfect. Mine has a red dot, which my son uses as a front sight while looking through the rear aperture. He's five and accurate to 150 yards. I have him shoot off of a Primos tripod.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
In case it hasn't been mentioned, there's an article on youth rimfire in the new special issue of Rifle Magazine. Several are mentioned and it might be worth your time to check it out.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I restock Rascals with pretty wood for kids and have a bunch of experience with young kids shooting. The Crickets suck because even bigger kids have issues cocking them. I have done a bunch of Chipmunks, too. The Rascal is far better in that respect and others.

The other important point for me is never give them a semiautomatic. I absolutely love the 10-22, but not until they are old enough to maintain focus. My grandson has not shot his yet, but he turns two next week.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My boy turns 5 next week and has a Rascal in the closet he doesn’t know about yet. He’ll get it and a little plate rack I made with shooting gallery ducks and a squirrel on it for his birthday.

I really want to get a small red dot to put on it to get him started but I’m rapidly running out of time before his birthday. I think the Rascal is the best thing to come down the pike for really little kids in a long time. I wasn’t wild at all about him having to use both hands to lower the striker on a Crickett or Chipmunk.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I restock Rascals with pretty wood for kids and have a bunch of experience with young kids shooting. The Crickets suck because even bigger kids have issues cocking them. I have done a bunch of Chipmunks, too. The Rascal is far better in that respect and others.

The other important point for me is never give them a semiautomatic. I absolutely love the 10-22, but not until they are old enough to maintain focus. My grandson has not shot his yet, but he turns two next week.

haha...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.keystonesportingarmsllc.com/product/model-722/

This. I bought one for my son a few months ago for his birthday. It’s been awesome. Walnut stock, checkered, safety works the correct way, accurate, can be upgraded as they grow, and MADE IN THE USA WITH USA PARTS! Call and y’all to them and you’ll get a person. They also have a lifetime warranty. They’re the same makers as the Cricket rifles, but these are several steps above.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm gonna vote Savage Rascal. Got mine almost 2 years ago because it was on sale and also had a 50 dollar rebate from Savage at the time. Needed something for the two step grand daughters to learn on. It's accurate, has good kid sized ergonomics and a nice Accutrigger. I even enjoy plinking with it as a sort of novelty gun for adults. Might even take it out squirrel hunting this fall just for kicks so I can get a photo of it with some harvested squirrels. Us old guys just love those light, easy to carry rifles, (grin).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter

This. I bought one for my son a few months ago for his birthday. It’s been awesome. Walnut stock, checkered, safety works the correct way, accurate, can be upgraded as they grow, and MADE IN THE USA WITH USA PARTS! Call and y’all to them and you’ll get a person. They also have a lifetime warranty. They’re the same makers as the Cricket rifles, but these are several steps above.

Thank you for the link. I have not seen them before.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[quote=dassa] This will be strictly a range gun for teaching gun safety and handling, and basic marksmanship.
do yourself a HUGE looney favor and buy the CZ-455 scout...........then buy a adult sized replacement stock and optional slick threaded barrel for when the young 'un grows. put the 455 in some bags with the single shot adapter in tow and have fun and try NOT to get addicted to the accuracy of the CZ. it was futile for me but i hope you have better luck restraining yourself as i bought several more CZ rimfires after shooting my lil boys 452 scout. i will warn you one last time that CZ rimfires are addictive!!
good luck,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Rascals are great.

If you can find an old Savage Cub, even better.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

I owned a 722 classic for a little while, nice rifles, I think what hurts them is that you can get a cz for just a hair more in most cases. I got a classic for 350 shipped and transferred so I decided to see what they were about. I really like the friction held magazine, no buttons or releases.

Last edited by killerv; 10/01/20.
C
C
Originally Posted by whitearrow
[quote=dassa] This will be strictly a range gun for teaching gun safety and handling, and basic marksmanship.
do yourself a HUGE looney favor and buy the CZ-455 scout...........then buy a adult sized replacement stock and optional slick threaded barrel for when the young 'un grows. put the 455 in some bags with the single shot adapter in tow and have fun and try NOT to get addicted to the accuracy of the CZ. it was futile for me but i hope you have better luck restraining yourself as i bought several more CZ rimfires after shooting my lil boys 452 scout. i will warn you one last time that CZ rimfires are addictive!!
good luck,
Big Ed

Pretty much the same route we went. The Scout was our first CZ, now we have several. its a great little gun

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Might not be small enough, but the Browning BL-22 is a petite little lever gun. I have one, and it works well, but it does have trim dimensions. And it is VERY accurate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by killerv

I owned a 722 classic for a little while, nice rifles, I think what hurts them is that you can get a cz for just a hair more in most cases. I got a classic for 350 shipped and transferred so I decided to see what they were about. I really like the friction held magazine, no buttons or releases.

I looked at the CZ’s a lot, but I could get a USA made rifle, with a walnut stock, lifetime warranty, known accuracy, and a safety that isn’t backwards to everything else in the world. The safety was very important to me, and the lesson that buying things from the US was something valuable to teach to my son. I think we got the full deluxe rifle for less than $275 shipped to my FFL.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 19 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,219
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.