Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
This time of year seems to be bad. I think they sense fall and cold weather is coming and they get aggressive. But if I find the nest, they will be gone!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A few years ago we had an unexpected snow in the high country during an archery elk hunt. As I was still hunting through the timber I came across a pile of bees in the snow that apparently didn't get the weather forecast right either. Short of conjuring up a snowstorm, just poison them, you'll be glad you did.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad yer ok. Bees can be bad news. I had a friend get swarmed by African Bees while he was rock climbing in Heuco Tanks. He was stung dozens of times and was lucky to survive. He spent a while in the hospital recovering.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I use wasp spray that sprays about 15 feet or so, kinda looks like foam. Had a nest under a boxwood that was as big as a basketball when I dug it up. I walk the yard in the summer with a can of that wasp spray, any suspicious looking wasp activity gets doused thoroughly.

Nasty bastards....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
I thought you were talking about packer fans.

Tzone, that was low. About that Viking game last weekend and in your own stadium. Oh, the shame.
About the ground wasps. They are getting ornery now that it is getting cold because they know their number is up pretty soon. Best thing I ever did to get rid of a bunch was to position my electric bug zapper right over their hole. Snap, crackle and pop and in a couple of days I got every single one of them including the bigger queen that came out to see what was going on. Very sadistically satisfying.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Windfall
Originally Posted by tzone
I thought you were talking about packer fans.

Tzone, that was low. About that Viking game last weekend and in your own stadium. Oh, the shame.
About the ground wasps. They are getting ornery now that it is getting cold because they know their number is up pretty soon. Best thing I ever did to get rid of a bunch was to position my electric bug zapper right over their hole. Snap, crackle and pop and in a couple of days I got every single one of them including the bigger queen that came out to see what was going on. Very sadistically satisfying.

Now that's funny! Good plan.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by badger
Yellowjackets are nothing but azzholes with wings............

They are the copperheads of the wasper world. They have a size inferiority complex along with a bad attitude in general.

That's a fact! I'm allergic to the little bastards too. The thing about them is you don't have to bother them, they'll come looking for a fight.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yep these little yellow bastards got me again this fall about 8-10 stung me then a poisoned them.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Put some 7 dust in some half cooked taco burger and set it on top of the woodpile where the dog can't reach it. Them bastids will carry that burger off to the nest and kill all of em. You'll kill all the nests in the area not just the one in the woodpile.

One of your better posts.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
No big deal.

Find where the nest is. Go to any hardware store and get some of the poison that sprays at a distance.

Wait until night. They don't fly at night.

If it's the hornets that live in the ground, spray liberally into the hole. if it's the wasps that build nests in trees. saturate the nest.

Next day no more problem.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best time to kill them is at night.All of them are on the nest and they won't fly and attack you.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I hate those little suckers. One nailed me on the knuckle of my hand while I was standing about 15’ away from an underground nest by our foundation, trying to figure out exactly where the entrance was. Later on, when it cooled down they paid for it.

I saw a video somewhere (maybe here) of a guy was using a little gasoline to get rid of either a nest or possibly a mole. A spark lit it off and lifted about half of his little patio area about a foot in the air. 😳

Last edited by navlav8r; 09/17/20.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
what kind of poison is mixed with the chop meat? does it have to be raw or cooked

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Sawyer Extractor works best for bee sting IMHO.
Every sting that I sucked out with the extractor device removed enough poison to keep me from anaphylaxis.

Same with a bunch of kids with yellow jacket stings near the pool. Every councilor was issued one. Lots of allergies, but no hospital visits necessary.
Cheaper than an epi pen at <$20.
Keep yhe pens in case of course. A swarm of multiple stings would be impossible to get to them all in time, but may help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We talk about meetings with grizzlies and rattlesnakes here, but far more people die from bee/wasp stings than any snake. I'd choose my caliber wisely and get a buddy or family to help since you're allergic.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Every sting that I sucked out with the extractor device removed enough poison to keep me from anaphylaxis.

Same with a bunch of kids with yellow jacket stings near the pool. Every councilor was issued one. Lots of allergies, but no hospital visits necessary.
Keep yhe pens in case of course. A swarm of multiple stings would be impossible to get to them all in time, but may help.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's that time of the year. Lot's of folks getting ready for deer season and lot's of folks finding yellow jacket nests. The little sum beaches take exception to being stepped on. When I find one in my yard I crank up the old push mower and put it right on top of their entrance hole. Every one of them comes out to see whazzup and wind up getting pureed. Gasoline poured directly into the hole at night works wonders as well.

Brings a smile to my face when I find a nest that has been dug up by a fox or skunk, them is some tough critters to do that and then eat the little bastids while being swarmed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord

Thanks!
I'm going to have to learn how to post pics.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord

Thanks!
I'm going to have to learn how to post pics.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
No prob

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 13 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 756 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.