Why do you say that Jim?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Those stupid things have cost me more money than new tires!

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by K1500
I cannot fathom anyone getting anywhere close to 100,000 miles on a single set of tires. I’ve never done even half of that.

Did around that on a set of Michelin M/S.

They are extra tough rubber.

BUT, I will not do it again... crazy expensive and traction was very very poor after 50k-60k.

They make sense sorta if you spend you life on dry highways stacking up 10k haul miles a month... otherwise not so much.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I ordered eight Nokian tires the other day at $96 a piece.

123/120 E 265/75/16

They claim to be a 70000 mile warranty Tire as well. Nokian is out of Finland and they make some excellent winter tires. These are more of a highway design much like the Michelin M/S.

They were due to arrive today but the poor FedEx guy is older and 372 pounds worth of tires probably made him say hell no I'm doing it tomorrow.

I will report back tomorrow if I'm impressed or not. I believe they're called the rotiiva HT I found them on a website called Simple Tire or simply Tire or something like that.

Like I said, I will provide details tomorrow if I think they're worth a durn. After all $96 a tire is dang cheap for a 123 load.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Tires look well-constructed. I trust Nokian.

8 tires cost $815 delivered including all taxes and fees from simpletire.com

These are not an aggressive mud or snow tire. More like the Michelin M/S LXT...

They look very durable and I anticipate they will meet my hauling in West Virginia mountain rock travel needs.

I run 265/75/16 123/120 on all of my trucks (except the Toyota) and trailers... so keeping 30 tires "in rotation" is a bit of a juggle. For the price I will buy more.

I assume the low price is based on the exchange rate at present with Finland and not a direct indicator of the quality of the tire.

These are a 4.9 star rated tire.

It's raining or else I would post pictures of the actual pile of tires that the poor FedEx man had to deliver. if I had caught him in the driveway I damn sure would have tipped him.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
If you are putting 25K miles a year or more and only getting 30K miles out of tires go with whatever the cheap chinese tire is.Save yourself $100 a tire and get the replacement certificates.

Most people can get 50-60K miles unless you are towing heavy or lots of gravel roads.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I bought a set of Michelins last time have 60k on them. Still tread left above the wear bars. Smooth and quiet on the highway. Excellent traction on wet roads. Only one flat so far picked up a screw. No knots on them.
Tire dealer I used to use always tried to get me to buy LTXs said lots of his farmer customers got 100 K out of them.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Keno machines?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Calcium chloride is what i meant to say about what is in my tractor tires.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Most the crew buses up here run Toyo m-55’s Sam, wear like iron

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Toyo M55 are really tough to beat, but pricey.

Damn, this is a good looking tire. Cutting the line of AT & MT. But with enough siping to do well on ice. Not pricey if they get 40-50K instead of the 30 already mentioned. I've gotten great service from BFG, but from a different application, terrible results from General.

I pushed a tight assed bud of mine to buy some BFG AT's for his single wheel ton tool truck. The truck weighs about 11k, & he got terrible wear from them. I told him, you gotta get an alignment & rotate when you get new tires dumbass.

He said; that explains the fronts wearing out, but the rears are gone too! Dumbass. Ouch, can no longer recommend BFG AT for longevity.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by wabigoon
We have some recap Goodyears, on the old Ford that are doing well after fifteen years.

That is ONLY because you are a good Christian and your faith in God is strong.

There is no other plausible explanation.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I guarantee you there are 2 and 5 ton grain trucks around here hauling 25k of wheat down the highway on 30,40, and probably even 50 year old bias tires. And knowing farmers probably some are ancient recaps. I have never seen an old truck around with more than 1 new tire at a time on it and that only because they replaced the one that blew.

It gives you a certain level of comfort knowing that you share the highways and byways with these rigs in the spring and fall. smile

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Toyo M-55. I prefer the 255=85-16 size.

High initial cost is offset by unbeatable life expectancy. I have used them for a 50 mile/day commute summer and winter, over black ice and packed snow, and for cruising mountain roads since 1985. They will stand the washboards, and the sharp edged crushed gravel.

In extreme ice conditions, I have had them siped. Siping is an amazing benefit on slick ice. But siping detracts from their life on gravel roads. And, they will get you through a mud hole in the meadow when feeding stock, as long s there is a bottom down there somewhere.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Keno machines?

Haha!

Never touch the things.....

I am MAGA.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Toyo M55 are really tough to beat, but pricey.

Damn, this is a good looking tire. Cutting the line of AT & MT. But with enough siping to do well on ice. Not pricey if they get 40-50K instead of the 30 already mentioned. I've gotten great service from BFG, but from a different application, terrible results from General.

I pushed a tight assed bud of mine to buy some BFG AT's for his single wheel ton tool truck. The truck weighs about 11k, & he got terrible wear from them. I told him, you gotta get an alignment & rotate when you get new tires dumbass.

He said; that explains the fronts wearing out, but the rears are gone too! Dumbass. Ouch, can no longer recommend BFG AT for longevity.

I have never failed to get 60K from a set of M-55s.
1965 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 235-85-16 E rated tires purchased in 1985

1975 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4 255-85-16 D rated tires purchased in 1990

1984 K series Blazer 235-75-15 C rated came on the used rig when purchased in 1994
Same Blazer traded up to 16 inch wheels in '97, and put on a set of 265-75-16 C rated with the center lugs siped and outside lugs studded. Absolutely the best snow tires I ever drove on, and we had a terrible icey winter that year.

1999 S series Blazer in 2005. Another new set of 235-75-15 C rated

And finally a 1984 6.2 liter 3/4 ton 4x4 GMC. A new set of 255-85-16 D rated in 2004. They were about half worn out in 2009 when I purchased a 95 3/4 ton 4x4 GMC, so I moved the Toyos and the wheels to the newer truck before selling the diesel. That set is still on the 96, sitting in the driveway. But they are pretty slick and need replaced badly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My son and I both have had very good results with the Yokohama Geolander AT's on our trucks... check out the reviews on them- they are quite a bit cheaper than the top rated Goodrich KO2's, but I find them quieter and have better snow and ice traction and they are very predictable on wet and icy pavement. We are both on our third sets on several different trucks over about 10-12 years.... great tires for the money...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Sheister
My son and I both have had very good results with the Yokohama Geolander AT's on our trucks... check out the reviews on them- they are quite a bit cheaper than the top rated Goodrich KO2's, but I find them quieter and have better snow and ice traction and they are very predictable on wet and icy pavement. We are both on our third sets on several different trucks over about 10-12 years.... great tires for the money...

Choke-yo-mama are pretty good tires

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to run a lot of Toyo M-55s years ago and the wore like iron. My problem with them is that they got so damned loud after they were 1/2 worn. Do they still do that?

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Yes, helps to keep one awake on the drive home from work.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I've put this here before for work trucks...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://www.treadwright.com/collections/filter/products/mt-claw-265-70-r17-10ply

They aren't "re-caps"... They are complete remolds.

Started using them when I was driving lots of miles on bad dirt/gravel roads, and through thorny, rough terrain.

Was getting about 15k miles out a set of 10 ply tires, until I went with Treadwraights. Flats aplenty... Never had a flat after putting on Treadwrights, and usually was the last set of tires I put on a pickup.

They take a HD 10 ply tire, and put on a thick tread and sidewall. Only way to go on a ranch truck.

Run them on the highway much? Wet pavement?
When the Kellys wear out I might give those a whirl.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
520 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.