Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Valsdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm always concerned as somehow I've managed to make it past Medicare age with the majority of my hearing still intact. Lots of hearing protection at work and at the range. I'd like to find something easy to wear that gives me the ability to hear as good as I do now (as in a mouse rustling in the leaves) without having the need to amplify sounds.

Ducks Unlimited sends me an e mail now and again and I mostly delete them as I rarely duck hunt and have limited money to donate. Today, they were first on the inbox list, so their email was open in the preview window. I saw the hearing protection headline and saw this website to click on, thinking it might be something worthwhile.

https://tetrahearing.com/collection...tm_source=Waterfowl%20Pulse%20newsletter

Holey fudge...............For that kind of money I could go to one of the private places nearby on a guided hunt and wear earmuffs and still come out ahead

What do any of you folks use that might be a bit less expensive. Preferably an in the ear type as I don't like muffs when I'm hunting. Perhaps if I was sitting on a stand all day, or maybe in a duck blind, but generally I can't sit still for long.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

F
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
F
Good topic.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Suppressor.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Suppressor.

Cali

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Peltor Comtac is what I use. Mostly for the enhanced hearing, but the noise reduction is good for that one shot.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Suppressor.

Cali

No, Montana.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
The range masters where I shoot occasionally wear hearing protectors that fit in the ear. I don't remember the brand but they're not expensive and you can get them at Bass Pro.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Suppressor.

Cali

No, Montana.

He is in Cali. Suppressor is maybe a no go? At least a real hassle, I am sure.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Only hunt for whitetail bucks these days and it usually only takes one shot, no hearing protection used. I really enjoy the subtle (and not so subtle) sounds of nature.

At the range always use hearing protection.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I'm always concerned as somehow I've managed to make it past Medicare age with the majority of my hearing still intact. Lots of hearing protection at work and at the range. I'd like to find something easy to wear that gives me the ability to hear as good as I do now (as in a mouse rustling in the leaves) without having the need to amplify sounds.

Ducks Unlimited sends me an e mail now and again and I mostly delete them as I rarely duck hunt and have limited money to donate. Today, they were first on the inbox list, so their email was open in the preview window. I saw the hearing protection headline and saw this website to click on, thinking it might be something worthwhile.

Holey fudge...............For that kind of money I could go to one of the private places nearby on a guided hunt and wear earmuffs and still come out ahead

What do any of you folks use that might be a bit less expensive. Preferably an in the ear type as I don't like muffs when I'm hunting. Perhaps if I was sitting on a stand all day, or maybe in a duck blind, but generally I can't sit still for long.

I have something similar to those and they are worth every penny. Mine are made by E.S.P. and were purchased 10 years ago and still work great.

A lot of folks would spend that on a new duck gun but don’t want to spend it to save their hearing.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Suppressor.

Cali

No, Montana.

Yah, I know he is. LOL It's absurd that a sound suppressor is regulated, restricted or taxed anywhere.

Carry foam plugs and use if you can.

--- Kid Rock 2022

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Absurd is right. Some countries in Europe require suppressors to be used. Maybe they are enlightened about some things, after all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My uncle was an avid whitetail hunter.
He said that the inside the ear models were junk and hated them. That was his opinion when I asked him your question in the last decade. Technology is likely better.
They get hot in bow season, but I like muffs.
😁

Seriously though, Aaro Peltors I find comfortable for 5 +/- hours, then take them off periodically to let my ears breath. Its great as cold weather muffs. Never owned the Howard lights but those will likely be the next pair if these ever go down. The foam is extra soft plus good reviews.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mako235

I have something similar to those and they are worth every penny. Mine are made by E.S.P. and were purchased 10 years ago and still work great.

A lot of folks would spend that on a new duck gun but don’t want to spend it to save their hearing.

Thanks, Ill check on the ESP ones. I seem to recall a mention of them somewhere, a magazine article maybe. A thread here perhaps?

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Suppressor.

Cali

No, Montana.

Yah, I know he is. LOL It's absurd that a sound suppressor is regulated, restricted or taxed anywhere.

Carry foam plugs and use if you can.

I do, but for most of my hunting, rabbits, quail and such, they suck. I can never get them in fast enough.

I've got a pair of those ones they make a cast of year and then mold the plugs to fit. Got them on a job a few years back. Work great, they're "vented" so I can hear some conversations, but they do impair my hearing of "woods noises" and those are one of the reasons I like getting out there. Bird, squirrel, bugs, the wind in the trees, etc all are important for me to hear.

As far as I know there is no way a civilian is getting a permit for a suppressor in this state. If anyone knows differently, I'd sure like info on that.

And yes, even the friggen Europeans recognize the value of them. Dumb fuggin movies leading the politicians to believe they are "silencers" and are used by criminals.

In it is contentment

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I use Sound Gear. They make a hunting and industrial versions. I am hard of hearing so I use the hunting ones. I paid $300 . I got mine from Len at Long Range Hunting store.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
My uncle was an avid whitetail hunter.
He said that the inside the ear models were junk and hated them. That was his opinion when I asked him your question in the last decade. Technology is likely better.
They get hot in bow season, but I like muffs.
😁

Seriously though, Aaro Peltors I find comfortable for 5 +/- hours, then take them off periodically to let my ears breath. Its great as cold weather muffs. Never owned the Howard lights but those will likely be the next pair if these ever go down. The foam is extra soft plus good reviews.

It's hard to find muffs that work well with a fedora or western style had. I hate having them hanging behind my neck.

No more recommendations for muff types please,

unless it's for the other type of muff

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
thanks gun addict , another for me to check out later.

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I prefer a piece of thin grocers plastic bags found in the fruit/veggie section.

Wad it up, stuff it in. Just leave a tag end sticking out.

It expands to fill the ear canal and can be worn all day without irritation and its fairly cheap.

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/17/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That a little expensive when I can just use my Walkers product for less than $150 .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

445 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,901 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,569
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.