Print Thread
Hop To
L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm beginning the process of researching the purchase of a new UTV. Those that I am looking at (which could certainly change), include the Can Am Defender DPS HD5, Honda Pioneer 1000 or 700, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX EPS LE and the Polaris Ranger 570 premium. This will be a working vehicle, hauling chain saws, towing a small trailer, etc on our forest land. Top speed of 35 mph is adequate. Don't need a back seat. It seems that most manufacturers don't provide horsepower and torque figures for their UTVs. Some provide one, but not the other. For my use torque is more important than hp, although I tried a diesel Kubota and it was noisier than I liked. I talked to the Honda dealer today and he couldn't find any torque values for the Pioneers. Makes it difficult to compare (i.e. Kawasaki provides torque but not HP).

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't speak for the other brands, but I've owned a Honda Big Red UTV, a Pioneer 700, and now have a Pioneer 1000. Never felt the 700's lacked torque, and I towed some fairly heavy loads on a 16' tandem axle trailer behind them. The 1000 is more of a beast than the 700's by a long shot, with the added benefit of a low range. I know that Honda caps the tow capacity for the 1000 at 2000lb for liability reasons, but in the real world I also know many of them get worked a lot harder than the tow ratings suggest.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
That is helpful. When you had the Pioneer 700 did you feel handicapped by the lack of low range? Also does the 1000's extra couple of inches in width (3") and length (2") over the 700 seem like a little or lot in every day use?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Comparing torque and HP on paper is only somewhat helpful, they have different transmissions and gearing. The machine may have enough motor to tow more, does it have the vehicle weight and brakes to safely stop the load? How much weight do you plan to carry and how much will you tow?

If you want torque and quiet, look at the Arctic Cat (Caterpillar and Tracker), John Deere, Kawasaki (FX). Each offer the same torquey engine. Only 50hp 812cc but the triple has the torque to pull with the big boys while sounding like a golf cart. The electric rear diff is handy on the lawn. A couple inches in dimension are only noticeable when you have tight gates or 6’ tall openings. Length and steering ratio are noticeable for how tight they turn. I would get the EPS model.

Compare cargo box sizes if you ever plan to carry a pallet.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You can convert them to get a rough idea. The problem is they probably provide peak HP or peak torque. As you probably know they don’t occur at the same RPM. So, converting a stated torque @ RPM figure to HP will give you an idea of the HP at that RPM, which should be less than peak HP. In any event, I would guess a test drive may sort it out for you. Gearing and transmissions matter too.

Conversion

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Torque is somewhat of a meaningless use in UTV's. What drive system does the UTV have is what you are looking for. The Honda Pioneers have a direct drive transmission with out a drive belt. the Can-ams, Polaris, John Deere have a belt drive CVT system and the Yamaha and Kawasaki have a CVT with an internal wet clutch system. Most have engine brakes of one sort or another. For pulling heavy loads The Honda or the Yamaha work better because of their clutching or lack there of. They all have a low range gear in their transmission and unless you are trying to start them on a steep hill with a heavy load will all work. UTV's have been geared to use the maximum engine performance. If you start changing tires then you might have to look at doing some clutch work. But as far as looking for torque values you are wasting your time and energy. Also if you are worried about torque then I would stay with the 1000 cc UTV's. Horsepower is what is going to get the job done for pulling your load.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by logger
That is helpful. When you had the Pioneer 700 did you feel handicapped by the lack of low range? Also does the 1000's extra couple of inches in width (3") and length (2") over the 700 seem like a little or lot in every day use?

A lot of folks go with the deluxe model because of the manual shift option. The 3 speeds trans is always questioned about the 700 but everyone pretty much agrees its a non issue when putting it to task.

If money is no object, and you don't have tight trails and you have a trailer that will accommodate the width of the 1000, I'd go with it.

Last edited by killerv; 10/21/20.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.