Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
After a number of years in the military without hearing protection, and many years hunting in CA where I simply didn't use any (particularly damaging when duck hunting), my hearing is now perfect for hunting without hearing protection. Of course, I can't hear a TV unless it's cranked up, but such is the tradeoffs in life.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
That a little expensive when I can just use my Walkers product for less than $150 .

That's what the range masters at my local shooting range use and they wear them for hours. You can can carry on a conversation with them while they're wearing them. I don't think Walkers is expensive enough for people from California.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use Walkers muffs in cool weather. And use foam plugs in hot weather hunting.
At the rifle range, I use both plugs and muffs.
My hearing is very damaged from not wearing heating protection 30-40 years ago.

NRA Patron
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Anyone who does not use the best available ear pro these days has not been paying attention...or couldn't hear the answergrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been using Otto noizebarriers the last year. I got them on sale for a about $330. Easy charging, hi and low settings, and great sound suppression and stereo amplification if you want it.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Only hunt for whitetail bucks these days and it usually only takes one shot, no hearing protection used. I really enjoy the subtle (and not so subtle) sounds of nature.

At the range always use hearing protection.

I’m the same, but if I trap a bunch of pigs I use the foam plugs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Suppressor.

That's a good answer where legal.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a set of Walker Razors I use when I can't wear muffs. They work OK.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Remsen
After a number of years in the military without hearing protection, and many years hunting in CA where I simply didn't use any (particularly damaging when duck hunting), my hearing is now perfect for hunting without hearing protection. Of course, I can't hear a TV unless it's cranked up, but such is the tradeoffs in life.

In a blind reflecting off water.

HUH?

I SAID......

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I use Weston Defend Ear ... (hearing aid that cuts out gun shots)

Works great..

I went through 3 sets of Walkers game ear - these are MUCH better... but cost more.

Given the Weston’s are actually a real hearing aid your medical, and cafeteria accounts can be used for them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i'm almost completely deaf in my left ear, this past march at the hog hunt one of the guys shot his braked rifle while i was standing about 4ft to the side, no heads up to put hearing protection on.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Depends on the kind of hunting. Dove shooting? Sure, I use hearing protection. Still hunting in a swamp for deer? Nope.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 09/17/20.

Sam......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When shooting at targets i use hearing muffs.

But when hunting i don't.

I know i have shot but the sound doesn't sound as loud as when shooting at targets.

The rifle don't recoil as much either. grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Plain old muffs for me - most of my hunting is from a vehicle (sneak up to the dams and drains) so I can leave them on and don't need hearing to detect game - all done by visual. Some dams I drive up behind the high side and get out and walk up with my muffs on.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for all the replies folks.I'll look into the ear pro, Westons,, and Walkers.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Suppressor.

That's a good answer where legal.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The way you're holding that bull makes your rifle look really big! grin

Last edited by Valsdad; 09/17/20.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like these for rifle hunting. Good to have when you are with others.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001DZO87M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5FbzFbDSD3RWK

Wear both plugs and earmuffs at range.

The duck hunting is where I really need to focus. I've started wearing a walker game ear plug, but it isn't ideal, messes up calling and they annoy me. That where my hearing damage will/has come from.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i do a hearing protection talk at hunter ed and include a piece on hearing protection while hunting. if in an enclosed hut, tent or blind you SHOULD use hearing protection. one of our instructors (who usually bow hunts) shot a rifle while inside a blind and lost hearing on one side. exposed in the woods, not as big a deal for obvious reasons. in either situation, use electronic muffs. They are adequate since you aren't shooting many rounds, usually just one. You can converse and hear game, and they keep your ears warm. This will prevent severe ringing or hearing loss. You can get cheap Howard Leight ones now for around 50 bucks, or you can spend a hundred bucks or more for Peltor or Game Ear, few others...probably work a little better, but i don't believe they are necessary while hunting.

at the range is different and muffs will not provide adequate protection, especially indoors.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At the range I wear foam plugs and ear muffs over those.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sse
i do a hearing protection talk at hunter ed and include a piece on hearing protection while hunting. if in an enclosed hut, tent or blind you SHOULD use hearing protection. one of our instructors (who usually bow hunts) shot a rifle while inside a blind and lost hearing on one side. exposed in the woods, not as big a deal for obvious reasons. in either situation, use electronic muffs. They are adequate since you aren't shooting many rounds, usually just one. You can converse and hear game, and they keep your ears warm. This will prevent severe ringing or hearing loss. You can get cheap Howard Leight ones now for around 50 bucks, or you can spend a hundred bucks or more for Peltor or Game Ear, few others...probably work a little better, but i don't believe they are necessary while hunting.

at the range is different and muffs will not provide adequate protection, especially indoors.

Thanks, but I don't wear muffs while hunting, I need the inside the ear type.

And yes, much louder inside, when at the range it's been foam plugs and muffs for many years now.

But outdoors is no fun for me either, touched off a couple of pistol rounds at predators recently, scared off the coyotes and killed a fox. I've now got a pair of muffs by the back door to grab if I need to go out with the gun again.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 12 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 762 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.