Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That is the sound of the machinery at the Columbia River salmon canneries that replaced Chinese workers and the origin of the supposed slur.
9/95 Multicultural Perspectives in Fisheries and Wildlife Management, FW1XX, Oregon State University, Dept of Fisheries and Wildlife.
Professor Dr Judy Li (pronounced LEE I was informed after saying LIE).

Do you believe that chit? Never did myself. Been 25 nagging at me.

Try to buy something made in the USA.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
The "IRON CHINK".

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read the book Alaska by John Gresham. Described the salmon canning origins. Iron Chink was described in book.

GOA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
So, Iron Chink should be flattering. LOL

I don't think Li referenced the machine itself. Didn't fit the narrative?

Why not this. Chink is a simple non-durogatory reduction of Chinese similar to: Swede, Pole, Brit, Franc, however, with a simple consonant added so it's not the body part, chin. We don't simply shorten, Switzerland is Swiss, Denmark is Dane, Greece is Greek, Philippines is Pinay or Pinoy, but, for some reason it is assumed to be negative, like Jap is. When elsewhere and referred to as a Yank, BFD.

Buy something made somewhere other than China.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I just thought it was non jap asian, a mix of the word chinese and korean, shortened.

Last edited by hookeye; 09/18/20.
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I worked on an Iron Chink near Naknek AK in 1973. A beautiful piece of ingenious machinery, American made of course, with patent dates IIRC in the late 1800's. The cannery maintenance
foreman said something like, "What we need now is for someone to invent an Iron Filipino, and my life would become simpler".

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I just bought a pair of motorcycle boots made in the USA.. they were made in Martinsburg ..by Carolina shoes. they are listed as work shoes.. very nice Boots..

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Funny this should come up. I was just thinking a couple days ago about the bear hunt I spent in a long retired cannery in Prince William Sound. In one room was an Iron Chink, complete with owner’s manual and a couple thousand cans.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"The Iron Chink." Sounds like a WWE star.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
I read the book Alaska by John Gresham. Described the salmon canning origins. Iron Chink was described in book.

James Michener wrote ALASKA and a lot of other great books.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by smokepole
"The Iron Chink." Sounds like a WWE star.

Now that you mention it, it does.

Buy American, or at least try to buy noncom.

Originally Posted by flintlocke
I worked on an Iron Chink near Naknek AK in 1973. A beautiful piece of ingenious machinery, American made of course, with patent dates IIRC in the late 1800's. The cannery maintenance
foreman said something like, "What we need now is for someone to invent an Iron Filipino, and my life would become simpler".

LOL

Originally Posted by hookeye
I just thought it was non jap asian, a mix of the word chinese and korean, shortened.

Works for me. Am declaring it fact.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The problem is that it is difficult to separate the derogatory nicknames from the merely familiar ones. And equally difficult to know how using either one will be taken by the listener.

A loosely related pet peeve of mine is the common "double origin" hyphenated names like African-American or Asian-American. It galls me that those who call themselves that put American second. It speaks loudly about which one they think they are. If that other place has priority in your mind, go there. And stay there.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

A loosely related pet peeve of mine is the common "double origin" hyphenated names like African-American or Asian-American. It galls me that those who call themselves that put American second. It speaks loudly about which one they think they are.

I always thought it was simply because we put the adjective before the noun in English. Makes perfect sense in that respect. I'm not sure there's any agenda involved.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Fancy talkers ^^^^^^^

Like Chinky-chink.

LOL

https://www.usalovelist.com/american-made-tools/

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rufus, but why the adjectival modification in the first place? It's perfectly obvious to the naked eye that one is of African or Asian descent. Why qualify or limit one's Americanism unless one values the other more than being American? It is blatantly saying "I'm only part American and that part comes second."

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The adjectives are not needed! American is the correct way to address people, in this country! When filling out the census, with all the listed options, this house just wrote AMERICAN!!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hi, I'm MtnBoomer white-American.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Rufus, but why the adjectival modification in the first place? It's perfectly obvious to the naked eye that one is of African or Asian descent. Why qualify or limit one's Americanism unless one values the other more than being American? It is blatantly saying "I'm only part American and that part comes second."

I'm not sure of the first usage, but suspect it originated more to itemize the different varieties of white european immigrants than those of different races. And I don't know if it was a matter of self-identification or condescending labels used by WASPs. Regardless of that, I guess my point is that I don't see it as minimizing anyone's American-ism from a grammatical point of view, how they're intending it to be perceived could be a whole different thing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bobmar
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

James Michener wrote ALASKA and a lot of other great books.

He edited, not wrote. Probably the most over-rated of all "writers" of all time. I would take bamboo shoots under my fingernails over reading another book by him.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’d be interested in what information you have regarding the above statement. I remember him spending time aboard a Cutter in Alaska back in the early 80’s as he researched that book. It’s been my belief that he was the actual author of some of my favorites such as Chesapeake, Texas, Space and Alaska. Those books aren’t for everyone because the details can get tedious. I learned a lot from them. I’m not saying you’re wrong. I’d just like to know what you’re talking about.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

380 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 47 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,119
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.