Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Long story but I'll try to keep it short. Picked up a minty Smith K-22 yesterday, this morning after inspection and cleaning I tried to see what it would do on paper. Ammo was Winchester T-22 of known accuracy in other guns. Disaster..barely kept 6 in the black on NRA 25 yd slow fire pistol target. OK, that happens, the nut behind the hammer is faulty. So I tried 2 other pistols, same time, same ammo...bingo, 1 1/4" with Ruger MKII, 1 5/8" group with an old pre Woodsman Colt. For lack of knowing any better, and because of a tremor caused by shoulder surgery some years back, I rest my elbow on a benchtop and brace my forearm against a sandbag well below the wrist joint. Is there a better way to do this?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
1 1/4" with Ruger MKII, 1 5/8" group with an old pre Woodsman Colt.
... Is there a better way to do this?

I wouldn't worry about your technique at this point. You're averaging 1.5" with two other guns. It doesn't sound like the barrel is moving when you yank the trigger--and that is the unicorn that we all pursue.

Try different ammo. Maybe it will improve. Otherwise...maybe there was a reason that gun was being tripped by its previous owner.

Good luck!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Every 22 pistol I've ever owned--and that's been a LOT--has been picky about ammo. What works in one might not work in another. K-22s are normally pretty accurate, but you have to find the right load. The fact that you're shooting the other guns well is a very good sign.

Fortunately, I've found that a lot of the older guns do their best with cheap bulk ammo.

Keep us posted.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 09/15/20.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Look over the forcing cone carefully, I've been seeing some posts on RFC where brand-new Smiths needed their forcing cones re-cut.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Smith 617 is quite a bit pickier than any of my autos. Are you getting any shaving? Every one has what it likes and dislike. Mine really likes the Federal Automatch

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Long story but I'll try to keep it short. Picked up a minty Smith K-22 yesterday, this morning after inspection and cleaning I tried to see what it would do on paper. Ammo was Winchester T-22 of known accuracy in other guns. Disaster..barely kept 6 in the black on NRA 25 yd slow fire pistol target. OK, that happens, the nut behind the hammer is faulty. So I tried 2 other pistols, same time, same ammo...bingo, 1 1/4" with Ruger MKII, 1 5/8" group with an old pre Woodsman Colt. For lack of knowing any better, and because of a tremor caused by shoulder surgery some years back, I rest my elbow on a benchtop and brace my forearm against a sandbag well below the wrist joint. Is there a better way to do this?

I had a brand new one about 84 that would barely stay on a sheet of paper at 25 paces. The rifling was chattered just inside the muzzle like the cutter had skipped or broken. The dealer was a good guy, refunded it and I walked out with a S&W 629.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
For pure accuracy testing I'm one of those that likes the Ransom Rest. After determining a good load I put it away and try to duplicate my findings by way of my own waky-shaky self.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Update, Enlisted, no, drafted.... the aid of an accomplished revolver shot with the trophies to prove it, and discovered the K-22 is not doing the job. 5 different brands and velocities of ammo tested under ideal conditions by a Master. He then fired, with his own K-22, 10 shots into the ten ring using plain old Winchester Power Points. I got heartache, but he said, don't tinker with this gun until you have put at least 500 rounds downrange, it could heal itself. Hmm.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Gnoahhh...You thought the Ransom Rest was named after a guy? No, they are referring to the price.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by okie john
Every 22 pistol I've ever owned--and that's been a LOT--has been picky about ammo. What works in one might not work in another. K-22s are normally pretty accurate, but you have to find the right load. The fact that you're shooting the other guns well is a very good sign.

Fortunately, I've found that a lot of the older guns do their best with cheap bulk ammo.

Keep us posted.

Okie John

A few weeks ago, I picked up a new-to-me S&W Model 63. My first 25-yard groups with 40-grain Federal Auto Match on an outdoor range were unimpressive, but the same load made consistent 2" groups at 25 yards in a Ruger Single Six Bisley on the same day.

Yesterday I shot these targets at 17 yards on an indoor range.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I made the lower right hand group as a control, using the Bisley with 40-grain Federal Auto Match. That group is 1.48” with four shots in a 0.52” cluster, or about the same as my earlier groups with the Bisley when adjusted for the shorter distance. I made all other groups with the M-63, each with a different load. They run from 1.31” for the smallest to 2.32” for the largest.

The least accurate load in the M-63 used to shoot dime-sized groups in an 8 3/8” Model 17 that I once owned. The second-least accurate is 40-grain Federal Auto Match that the Bisley favors. You can also see a pretty big spread in points of impact for these seven loads in the M-63.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 10/03/20.

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Holee Molee, that's some shooting. I wish Seattle wasn't 9 hours north, because I have a K-22 that needs a guiding hand. Thanks for posting, if the Great Rimfire II shortage dies down I'll expand the ammo testing.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Thanks for the kind words.

Test ammo, focus on sight alignment and trigger control once you find a good load, and keep at it. The groups will get smaller.

Okie John

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
One thing you might try is testing one chamber at a time. Number the chambers in the cylinder, then test them individually and see if there are one or two that aren't keeping up with the rest. One thing to remember about a revolver is that it is a gun with six individual chambers, all of which are aligned with the barrel to varying degrees of precision. You may well have a chamber, or two, that is a bit further out-of-alignment than the rest. It's worth a try, and would eliminate a variable.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I prefer to shoot far, at least 100 yards, 200 is better. 300 yards with a 22 handgun with a dry dirt background to see hits is about perfect.

It wont take long to figure out what ammo it likes, what chambers are not up to par and whether the ammo is.

Rollover prone or the back reclining position helps keep the gun steady without artificial contact messing things up.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,019 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.