Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
As you guys have said, the first day of the hunt will set the pace so to speak. If we are seeing/hearing a lot, I may be more choosy. My main goal is to have an enjoyable hunt and come home with a respectable Elk.... but we wouldn't be going there if we thought a 300" was average. We could do that in other places for less. What we are focusing on is getting in shape, and learning all we can on judging size. If I see a bull I want, I'll be in shape to go after him and I don't care what it takes to get him out. I'll be ready for all of that.

Thanks for all of the replies and info. It's good to hear from guys that have done it!

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
It’s all very confusing to me. Elevations, terrain and how rugged the unit can be everyone seems to say the same thing, been working out hard for 4 months biking, running steps, weighted pack hiking, losing weight, down to 175lb at 6’1” and still have two months to continue conditioning that part is within my control to the best of my ability living at 1500”. When you research the unit before and after booking and drawing tag everyone or things read say 350” plus now it’s slowing dropping down to 325”. PABOB is right we booked NM and went for unit 36 based on recommendations and research. It’s hunting I get it nothing is guaranteed and many things factor in that’s all understandable. I guess what the original question was is what is a reasonable expectation for that unit 300”, 325”, 350” etc etc given the elk GODS decide to cooperate and things go well on all levels.

As far as saying who the outfitter is I’m not comfortable with that in this discussion. He did come highly recommended and has been absolutely terrific with correspondence emails and phone conversations his website is the same as all 300” - 400” in area that’s a 100” difference that’s 8’ big swing would I shot a 300” in 36 no I wouldn’t not that unit not with a “once in a life time tag” so everyone is calling it.

Last edited by GusandRip; 08/15/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You guys draw a tag or pick up a landowner tag?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ll be in unit 36, with my 40 year old son and my best friend, archery Sept 20 for five days. Any 6 point over 300” will suit me just fine. We are on 40,000 acre private ranch. Bought land owner tags.
I’ve killed five with a bow, my friend similar number. My son, never hunted them.
I’m excited.

NRA Patron
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by dale06
I’ll be in unit 36, with my 40 year old son and my best friend, archery Sept 20 for five days. Any 6 point over 300” will suit me just fine. We are on 40,000 acre private ranch. Bought land owner tags.
I’ve killed five with a bow, my friend similar number. My son, never hunted them.
I’m excited.

This guy has the right idea for unit 36 hunting.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
IC B2

G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
This is exactly what I’m talking about, if you read from top to bottom ever reply you see anything over 300” kill it, 350” is realistic, 330”-350” and 340”-380”

I have a plan for day one will adjust as needed. And to answer question we drew the tag with outfitter.

Let me take this a step further Unit 36, guided, muzzleloader, 5 day hunt would you do a 2 on 1 or a 1 on 1?

Last edited by GusandRip; 08/16/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd shoot the first 330 I saw...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I think most are saying the same thing. 320/330’ish is a realistic attainable goal. Are there bigger bulls in 36? Absolutely, a governors tag has even been killed there. Despite others, I’ll stick with 350 is a lofty goal. Don’t confuse talk of top end with the average upper end bulls.

Like mentioned above, look at what they kill yearly on the Mescalero.

You have a great hunt, don’t let inches ruin it unless you would be perfectly happy eating your tags.

Originally Posted by GusandRip
This is exactly what I’m talking about, if you read from top to bottom ever reply you see anything over 300” kill it, 350” is realistic, 330”-350” and 340”-380”

I have a plan for day one will adjust as needed. And to answer question we drew the tag with outfitter.

Let me take this a step further Unit 36, guided, muzzleloader, 5 day hunt would you do a 2 on 1 or a 1 on 1?

G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Well said SLM appreciate your thoughts.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
An uncle hunted Mescalaro in the early '90s and killed a great bull. 396" if I remember correctly, just shy of 400". It took "extra" incentive to get on the BIG bull from what he said but that the guides knew where the big ones were.

Fast forward to circa 2010. I drew a tag in 36 and ended up getting a 320/330ish bull with a muzzleloader and was totally pleased. After the hunt, I drove over to the Mescalaro and went through the hunting museum. On the way over, I saw a bull off the highway bedded down that was a 370-80 class animal. Very cool to see. The museum was dated a bit but well worth seeing the mounts and such. There was a full mounted 6x6 that was absolutely stunning. Running down a hill, head tilted back, and bulging. An absolute beast of a bull. I reccomend to all if you are in the area to stop by and check it out.

The photos of the bulls that had just been shot were interesting. My public land bull was larger than 80%. Their hunts were $16K plus everything else then. There were a couple of bulls over 360 bur not many. I think they have big ones but they get pricey.

IC B3

E
E
If you want to pm me your phone number and I’ll share my experiences of the unit.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well said SLM. Getting wrapped up in inches is a terrible place to be. Nothing disappoints me more as a guide than a hunter being thrilled with a buck until we HONESTLY score him (as required by our management plan,) or vice versa.

The animal is what he is (hopefully a mature animal,) and the hunt is what it is (hopefully a great one filled with lifelong memories.) Paying more for a hunt or driving further doesn’t guarantee a bigger animal, though hunting prime areas does increase your chances at a once-in-a-lifetime animal. Don’t confuse that correlation.

You’ve done your research, paid for the hunt, and are preparing yourself in the meantime. Now, make the best of it and hope for a great, memorable hunt!

Good luck!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What SLM and ckat said.

My .02 is to get on cowboy time, embrace the adventure and thank GOD for the opportunity that lay in front of you.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No report?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

They must still be packing Stetson out of that d****d canyon. The weather has been wonderfully mild and the herds we see are in good shape, not great, but this IS 2020.

Hunting licenses are hard to draw in good areas, so they should be happy with early luck. And we will watch this spot for further developments.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 348srfun, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 42 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,127
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.