Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lvmiker
That is truly amazing.

mike r

It's like the stupid grown-up version of BB-gun wars.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"For reliable feeding I use a Dremel tool and some Cratex tips and polished the feed ramp and entrance to the barrel."

I've done the same thing with a round file. Prolly cost $2.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I enjoyed the "sincere felons" that hold their guns sideways so as not to hit anyone.

mike r

Yeah, I can get along with sincere felons. But those insincere felons? Get outta heah!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
you guys must have good pistols to be able to reliably feed all types of ammo mixed

You trust your life to a "bad" pistol?

My EDC is a Wilson Combat ULC Commander after upgrading from a Dan Wesson Guardian.

do not have $2000 to waste on a pistol that is altered to feed hollow points. 17 shots of FMJ that feed reliably are good enough for me. do you drive around or ever driven around in a small car? you trust your life to that? get a tank

You don't need a $2,000 custom carry. My 1911 carry is actually a Colt Combat Commander that is almost strictly stock. I bought it secondhand for $400 at a gun show. I didn't like it's nasty little habit of chewing a hold in the web of my hand due to the short tang of the grip safety so replaced it with a beavertail style. Problem fixed, cost, $45.00 for the part. For reliable feeding I use a Dremel tool and some Cratex tips and polished the feed ramp and entrance to the barrel. The gun will now feed 185 gr. wadcutters reliably and was most of the time feed an empty cartridge case. The Dremel I already had and maybe $6.00 for the tips to polish the ramp and throat. Total cost, $451.00. There's only one more thing I may do and that is put on a set of decent sights. The stock set is a bit too small for my octagenarian eyeballs.
Paul B.

you polishing the feed ramp and barrel entrance is what I meant when I said some pistols have trouble with hollow points flying ashtrays etc. for 35 years I have read about that. I got tagged teamed by a bunch of guys saying their pistols feed anything which I have never heard before.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
you guys must have good pistols to be able to reliably feed all types of ammo mixed

My EDC is a Wilson Combat ULC Commander after upgrading from a Dan Wesson Guardian.

do not have $2000 to waste on a pistol that is altered to feed hollow points. 17 shots of FMJ that feed reliably are good enough for me. do you drive around or ever driven around in a small car? you trust your life to that? get a tank

You don't need a $2,000 custom carry. My 1911 carry is actually a Colt Combat Commander that is almost strictly stock. I bought it secondhand for $400 at a gun show. I didn't like it's nasty little habit of chewing a hold in the web of my hand due to the short tang of the grip safety so replaced it with a beavertail style. Problem fixed, cost, $45.00 for the part. For reliable feeding I use a Dremel tool and some Cratex tips and polished the feed ramp and entrance to the barrel. The gun will now feed 185 gr. wadcutters reliably and was most of the time feed an empty cartridge case. The Dremel I already had and maybe $6.00 for the tips to polish the ramp and throat. Total cost, $451.00. There's only one more thing I may do and that is put on a set of decent sights. The stock set is a bit too small for my octagenarian eyeballs.
Paul B.

you polishing the feed ramp and barrel entrance is what I meant when I said some pistols have trouble with hollow points flying ashtrays etc. for 35 years I have read about that. I got tagged teamed by a bunch of guys saying their pistols feed anything which I have never heard before.

My CZ’s feed anything.

My S&W 1911 Commander Bobtail feeds anything. My Kimber Ultra Compact 1911 feeds anything
My Dan Wesson 45 and my DW 10 mm have issues with certain bullets.
My Paras feed anything, but they have very short throats so I have to keep that in mind when handloading for them.

I had a Kimber full size that didn’t like semi-wadcutters, sold it.

Last edited by steve4102; 09/18/20.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It seems to be a rate pistol made in the last 35 years that won't feed JHP's. I have an early Delta Elite which has never had a FTF except some which were loaded so light with AAC #2 that they didn't function the slide. First bullets I tried in it were SWC's designed for .38-40, no issues. CZ-85 is 100% also including some 150 gr Keith types I sized to .356. I could go on...

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by steve4102

Paul B.

My CZ’s feed anything.

My S&W 1911 Commander Bobtail feeds anything. My Kimber Ultra Compact 1911 feeds anything
My Dan Wesson 45 and my DW 10 mm have issues with certain bullets.
My Paras feed anything, but they have very short throats so I have to keep that in mind when handloading for them.

I had a Kimber full size that didn’t like semi-wadcutters, sold it.

with CNC machining looks like pistols got more reliable with different ammo. some of it is luck also like if 5 guys buy chevy silverados 3 might have zero problems and the other 2 have problems. CZ pistols are great guns I think the best for the money or any money
but what it comes down to is you got more of a chance to get hit by lightning then to have to use a gun to save your life

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a 4506 dash nuthin that'll feed empties.
That's reliable!

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I like185 grain truncated hollow point bullets out of my Glock 21. And at 1760 feet per second they have plenty of speed to make it through any clothing etc.

.460 Rowland... FYI

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Truncated hollow point bullets such as the Hornady xtp or the Montana gold equivalent have always had the best possible feed reliability for me.

Last edited by CashisKing; 09/18/20. Reason: Damn phone typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by ringworm

Yes...every ghetto gangbanger.
They have 7 lead ball in the mag and 1 holow point in the chamber.
They all split one box.

Say I ain't lying!

I'm not going to say you're lying, but I want to share an experience reported by #2 son. He was living in a neighborhood going to $hit and one night two gangs squared off on his street and traded maybe 100 rounds at each other in a very short period of time over a distance of 60 yards. #2 and his family hit the deck and their house did not get hit. #2, at that time, worked in a sheet metal shop that hired a bunch of sincere felons. #2 asked his co-workers to explain what he'd witnessed.

One of the most dedicated hoods explained that street folk generally do not aim to kill and don't really aim when its one group going against another. This is the reason for that goofy sideways hold. The point is to stand there and take incoming fire and give it back. Someone deliberately trying to kill someone in one of these altercations is considered chicken $hit. Usually only the top hoods are allowed to do that, and when it comes it is usually right in your face. There is a general fear of engaging white guys. White guys don't play by these rules and take careful aim and get the job done. They also have the money for ammo and practice.

#2 shortly moved out of that neighborhood and went to the other side of town. I bought both #2 and #3 their CCW training when they turned 21.

That's as funny as your cornfield story.

Think it was shamwow, that brought kellory to the 'fire.

C
cv540 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I like185 grain truncated hollow point bullets out of my Glock 21. And at 1760 feet per second they have plenty of speed to make it through any clothing etc.

.460 Rowland... FYI

Interesting round I had not heard of before

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by ringworm
I carry a 45.
I don't even care if I have hollow points. Ball 230 will work for my uses.

Yep.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Shaman has some pretty astounding stories. I always thought that if people were shooting at each other they were trying to do some damage but maybe I don't know the fine points of gang culture.

As far as alternating bullet types etc. I'd say that's a waste of time. Currently manufactured handguns from major brands (Glock, S&W, Springfield, CZ etc.) feed hollow points very reliably and current hollow points work very well in most situations. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a reliable handgun. Any reasonable self defense load should work as long as you can hit what you're aiming at. The ability to get good hits under stress is more difficult and requires practice. That's where I would put my emphasis.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You guys need to talk about something warm and fuzzy. This thread led to RBG's passing I heard.

Carry on,

DD

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
You guys need to talk about something warm and fuzzy. This thread led to RBG's passing I heard.

Carry on,

DD

Roy is dead?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Shaman has some pretty astounding stories. I always thought that if people were shooting at each other they were trying to do some damage but maybe I don't know the fine points of gang culture.

#2 son is a 6'5" Amish/biker type when he's wearing his game face. He went to work at this sheet metal shop shortly after high school. The shop was a combination of black ex-felons and undocumented Guatamalans. He brought #3 in a couple of years later. #2 has the physical presence to scare the pi$$ out of the little bean-eaters, and he had enough chutzpah to at least get parity with the ex-cons. The Guats called him "El Juan Grande" and #3 "Juan Hermanos" . It was one of those eat or be eaten/ show no fear situations. My sons found themselves at the top of the pecking order. They're both gone from there. It was a definite good education for them in the meanwhile. It was certainly an education for me.

In relation to the OP, in the big scheme of things, I don't think bullet choice has a whole lot to do with it, at least not to the granularity where you're alternating fmj and HP. If you put a hole in someone normal, you've just wrecked their day.

A charging Meth head? I'd go look up what folks say about dangerous game hunting and try .416 Rigby for starters. My Israeli paratrooper buddy talked about their Viking Berserker type (a Jewish Swede) that used to get so wound up in battle he'd kill anyone and anything until he could calm down. Him? It took nearly sawing him in half to get him down, and it was physical damage to the leg bones that did it. Body hits did not stop him. Don't think a 9mm is going to be much help.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, no, first mag HP's for two legger meat, three or four spare mags monolithic solids, I like Lehighs, all mono solids while carrying sidearm hunting with long gun.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by cv540
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
What would be the pros??

I have seen monumental failures in Hollowpoint loads. 158 gr .38 swchp shot into the forehead at room distance didnt penetrate cranium, just rang his bell good. The heavy winter clothing or leather is also a concern.

I've tested that load and it is too soft and doesn't penetrate well st all. I eould nit trust it

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Yep the smith gen 3s feed anything. I have had 4 different models in .45 and after decades never had a ftf. Plus with a 4506 you could pistol whip the hulk When your empty.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,573
Posts18,453,908
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.