Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Back in the early 1990’s or so when Winchester / USRAC started bringing back controlled feed Model 70’s you had to special order one. They built these special order 1st rifles in the Custom Shop and you would receive a letter detailing the specifics of the build. Just wondering what a New In The Box Custom Super Grade from 1991 or so with all the papers would be valued at today.

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Check gunbroker..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Around $1,000, depending on condition, and assuming almost NIB.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You don't mention the chambering. That will matter. Probably around 1,000 for a magnum, probably more like 1,250+ for 270 and '06, as new in original box.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Biebs
Around $1,000, depending on condition, and assuming almost NIB.

I generally think the prices quoted in this forum come with a healthy dose of optimism. Lots of “I wouldn’t sell mine for that” feelings cloud the objective judgment of folks with regard to prices. However, I have to throw the BS flag on this. If this gun is as stated, it will be a four digit gun in 7 mm, 300WM, or 338 WM. Certainly a little less desirable then one of the standard chamberings perhaps, but if the gun is truly as stated - NIB, with box, unfired, with paper – it will be somewhere in the $1500 to $2500+ range. If it’s as stated I would give $1500 for it sight unseen.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I found one made in 1992. It is a 270 win and sold for $1,000.00 on 8-2-20. In like new condition with box and paperwork. A 1991 supergrade would be worth a little more money to a true collector, but how much more is it worth to you? To me, not much more really...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I found one made in 1992. It is a 270 win and sold for $1,000.00 on 8-2-20. In like new condition with box and paperwork. A 1991 supergrade would be worth a little more money to a true collector, but how much more is it worth to you? To me, not much more really...

A custom shop 270?
As you well know, “like new” and NIB with provenance are VASTLY different things - especially with regard to the New Haven CS guns.
I’m curious - what constitutes a “true collector” ?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

A custom shop 270?
As you well know, “like new” and NIB with provenance are VASTLY different things - especially with regard to the New Haven CS guns.

Someone who really gives a chidt about the prominence of the classic model 70. IF the op is, and IF he can find someone else that is when its time to sell it, then its worth buying. In all likelihood, it's going to be a hard sell. For me, I buy cheap and sell high. As with most classic model 70's I've seen lately, they have been selling low. You can buy your custom shop model 70, hang on to it until you die and then expect your loved ones to sell dirt cheap. Not really how I roll.. You on the other hand, be my guest... You would buy it "sight unseen" for $1,500.00. Then when/if you ever wanted to sell it, you lose money. Not an economics major, were you?

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A custom shop 270?

By 92 they were using 5 digits as well. That would be the big difference between 91 and 92 produced custom shop rifle. A 91 would be a legit 4 digit rifle.

Last edited by 79S; 08/23/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A custom shop 270?

Someone who really gives a chidt about the prominence of the classic model 70. IF the op is, and IF he can find someone else that is when its time to sell it, then its worth buying. In all likelihood, it's going to be a hard sell. For me, I buy cheap and sell high. As with most classic model 70's I've seen lately, they have been selling low. You can buy your custom shop model 70, hang on to it until you die and then expect your loved ones to sell dirt cheap. Not really how I roll.. You on the other hand, be my guest... You would buy it "sight unseen" for $1,500.00. Then when/if you ever wanted to sell it, you lose money. Not an economics major, were you?

Oh boy... learn the difference between the 91 and 92 bud.. besides aren’t you a tikka man now?

Last edited by 79S; 08/23/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

A custom shop 270?

Details matter on this one BSA, and you seem to be playing fast and loose with your comparison.
I maintain that a NIB/unfired 1991 custom shop crf M70 is worth a minimum of $1500, and I’m more than willing to back that up if the OP is so inclined. I know exactly what the CS guns I have purchased cost me, and I know that at $1500 I’d be happy to have this one.
Cheers.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks everyone for the discussion & feedback. The reason I posted this was I wanted to get a ballpark value on my late Dad’s Model 70 Custom Super Grade 338 Win Mag. It is a 4 Digit. G11XX. It is unfired LNIB with all papers. The only negative is the cheek piece does have a cosmetic handling mark on the varnish although this could probably be touched up Attached are some pics. Sorry on the detail. I still have not figured out how to post a full size pic using my IPHONE. Thanks for all the feedback ! I will probably keep this one in the safe or perhaps sell it at some point in the future. Still undecided.

Attached Images
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wow! Now that’s a beautiful rifle. No idea on value but it’s certainly going to bring a decent buck. In a 338 as well, makes it even cooler.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Back in the early 1990’s or so when Winchester / USRAC started bringing back controlled feed Model 70’s you had to special order one. They built these special order 1st rifles in the Custom Shop and you would receive a letter detailing the specifics of the build. Just wondering what a New In The Box Custom Super Grade from 1991 or so with all the papers would be valued at today.
WITH box, all papers/tags and manual and NIB, it could easily bring $1000-1300.. BUT it depends on the configuration and chambering - like another posted above.

The one that's depicted above should not sell for less than $1500++...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Pardon for the late arrival at this party. Hope I haven’t missed the ‘danciing girls’! “) As I read this Thread, some bit of deja vous! Without going into immersed in war stories, just the net, net with a bit of Winchester background.
These ‘91 “Custom Shop Supergrade models, notable under then new, Fabrique National ownership of the Winchester factory and brand-license. The ‘big news’, return of CRF though some inference as only available in rarefied air of Custom Shop’ designation & pricing!

As for this genre of rifles, situation of serious question arising: “What’s in a name?” (Shakespeare) and such on-point. I first saw several of these Custom ‘91 models at a gun show, perhaps mid nineties. Yet new in boxes; accoutrements, Certificates and all. Priced between $1600 to $2K each! By then I’ recently acquired a “Classic Supergrade Custom” in 338 Win. Purchased new as dealer sadly going belly-up!

My only firm recollection now of that gun show viewing, mine considerably more handsome. Them, with burled walnut stocks. Handsome in their own right, but appearing dark & heavy. The other thing, they lacked the black foreend cap and somehow such absence just a ‘tilt’ in context of Model 70 Supergrade.

To better refresh my recollection, a quick Google and some good photos of one of those ‘91 genre SG rifles and its Certificate. Recollection confirmed. About ‘on’ re stock appearance bit heavy and dark. Also, plainly lacking another feature I appreciate in mine. The quality “shadowed” cheekpiece!

The ‘net’ to me, these are quite nice rifles… For what they are. IF they continued as a ‘last hurrah’ for the CRF Winchester, perhaps worth multiples of their prevailing value. But not the situation. Rather, the opposite!! Now – over quarter century of Supergrade CRF Model 70 rifles as continued to date! The “Certificated” genre, principally as ‘also ran’. A narrow range of collectors, perhaps to lus in some sort of “transition” categoryt. Most folks, as me, ‘prettier pickins!’ Oh yes! Interesting in the below listing; that Certificate shown… Presumably incorrect! Listing a plain bolt handle where the serial number associated rifle, clearly a knurled handle! Introducing some “ambiguity” as to authenticity? What’s the whole purpose of the fancy certificate if to incorporate ‘error’!

Just my long-winded and completely frank “take”.

Best & Stay Safe!
John

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...hop-super-grade-nib.cfm?gun_id=101309694

>>> Click on empty photo frames to open them WITH photos! <<<

Attached Images
R63-2U.jpg (27.91 KB, 359 downloads)
R63-8U.jpg (22.22 KB, 375 downloads)
R63-9.jpg (18.77 KB, 364 downloads)
R63-14U.jpg (25.83 KB, 351 downloads)
R63-4U.jpg (26.13 KB, 332 downloads)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As I recall, there were Custom Shop SG's & also non-Custom Shop SG's from the early to mid-'90's era.

MM

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s a pretty darned rifle!

Semper Fi
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GAGoober,

That is the real McCoy. Beautiful rifle.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
allot depends on the wood. a few of the Super Grades wood blanks could cost $1500

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Here, opinion only and also reciting what seems correct concerning wood scarcity without verification...

My understanding that quality Walnut is a commodity about gone in America. European sources slim and expensive. Winchester for instance now, hyping "Maple". I'm with their `2019 Catalog' and personal 'most gracious opine' as "different". That as "old foggie" status disclosure likely coloring remarks. Super Grades now, with such figured maple and otherwise 'relatively' plain stocks. Ultimately though, a fancy stock is a 'pretty face' in my gun world. I can enjoy and appreciate, but I can also be more pleased with great design. Ergonomics, trumping looks any day... (Inanimate objects only! smile ) The large caliber heavy recoiling rifles, even more ergonomic essential. The "beautiful painful to shoot rifle', for me a non-starter!
Just my take!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 222Sako, 21, 12308300, 68 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.