Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Curious how 9, 40, and 45 do in penetration with say a Flat nose FMJ, and does it add any meaningful effectiveness vs roundnose FMJ.

Thinking 147 in 9, 165 in 40.....

I have not been able to find any test or info.

BP-B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Brass Fetcher might.

As a matter of fact I bought some 147 and 165s today. Not so much for me.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 65BR
Curious how 9, 40, and 45 do in penetration with say a Flat nose FMJ, and does it add any meaningful effectiveness vs roundnose FMJ.

Thinking 147 in 9, 165 in 40.....

I have not been able to find any test or info.

They sail through in a narrow path, causing little damage around the wound channel. You have to hope to hit solid bone, CNS, or a major artery.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Not really.

You do need to have enough frontal area driven at enough speed. The flat might not be earth shattering in gel versus the RN, but anyone who's ever killed anything generally skip the RN.

The good news is that as ranges get longer and speed goes down, their performance is also less effected.

They are handguns. Its not like the expanding bullets are bomblike in the difference...or compare to a 12 or 20 gauge Brenneke, which is nothing but a solid.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by viking

Clay is meaningless since it only provides an image of the maximum, non-permanent, wound channel. That's why they use gel instead of clay. All that impressive clay expansion, were it flesh or ballistic gelatin, would just bounce back into shape.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yeah I know, but it was about the only thing I could find with 3 different weights.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Clay is meaningless since it only provides an image of the maximum, non-permanent, wound channel. That's why they use gel instead of clay. All that impressive clay expansion, were it flesh or ballistic gelatin, would just bounce back into shape.

I dont find it useless it gives a reference. Some FMJ ammo expands readily such as tge Winchester white box 147 grain FMJ FP.The soft lead core and the soft plated jacket combine for an easily expandable bullet

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Arteries in flesh/organs rupture and that force disruption isnt accounted for in gel.

Its akin to hitting the gel with a ball bat, sap or whatever force object. But that apparently plays no role, unless of course youve actually tested the concept on living animals.
The gel worship is a bit much.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I ain’t saying it’s right or wrong, just posted it. It is what it is.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by HawkI

Arteries in flesh/organs rupture and that force disruption isnt accounted for in gel.

Its akin to hitting the gel with a ball bat, sap or whatever force object. But that apparently plays no role, unless of course youve actually tested the concept on living animals.

Indeed

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Temporary wound channel has an affect, for sure. It's a violent disruption of living tissue. But clay exaggerates this affect. Big impressive holes in clay aren't nearly as meaningful as they appear, is all I'm saying.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Temporary wound channel has an affect, for sure. It's a violent disruption of living tissue. But clay exaggerates this affect. Big impressive holes in clay aren't nearly as meaningful as they appear, is all I'm saying.

You clearly do not understand that clay gives an accurate reference, the hole from an expanding bullet will be larger and penetrate less the same as it does in ballistics gel. A little common sense and one should gain useful info from clay

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

All that is true. It is also true that gel is probably the best medium there is unless you've got a bunch of goats to shoot.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
To answer the OP's question, I have seen gel tests that report 26" to 28" penetration in bare gel for 9mm FMJ, vs. 12" to 18" for expanding bullets.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

A slow load only 782 FPS that wouldn't impress in a JHP

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Here's another reference point for you.

.357 Flat nose FMJ in gel.

It not much more then a hole straight through:

You are better off with good HP's.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

You do need to have enough frontal area driven at enough speed. The flat might not be earth shattering in gel versus the RN, but anyone who's ever killed anything generally skip the RN.

Flat nosed 45s seem to "whomp" armadillos harder than round nosed. Not scientific I admit.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Here's another reference point for you.

.357 Flat nose FMJ in gel.

It not much more then a hole straight through:

You are better off with good HP's.

Depends on a lot of things.

A decent flatnosed solid from a 357 can go from the pooper out the brisket of about any whitetail deer or medium hog. Its a poor shot with about any "good" hollowpoint Ive come across, cause they wont make it.

If peaceful protesters are tossing molotovs at my windows, catching as many per round makes sense.

If everything consisted of a blob of lungs and livers and it
was all shot inside 35 yards, I'd give creedence to how "realistic" ballistic gel "tests" are.

Last edited by HawkI; 09/19/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.