Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have an old rusted up wheelbarrow (1 wheel stye), but the frame underneath it is not in too bad of shape and the wheel is good too. Was thinking of taking the whole undercarriage of it with the wheel and use it as a game cart to pack out meat. I would basically just take the rusted up bucket part off of it... Was wondering if anyone had ever tried fashioning one into a game cart to pack out meat and if it worked out? The wheel that is on it is one of the inflatable ones, not solid rubber. The frame underneath it is pretty solid square tubing...

Last edited by Ramdiesel; 09/17/20.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Since your lugging out lots of weight, over uneven and perhaps rocky ground, I would recommend the TWO wheel variety....

IMHO - YMMV.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Muffin
Since your lugging out lots of weight, over uneven and perhaps rocky ground, I would recommend the TWO wheel variety....

IMHO - YMMV.

I tried the 2 wheel style game cart before. Borrowed one from my brother that was kind of like a dolly with smallish bicycle type tires on it. It really sucked going up a steep incline with an elk quarter on it...Snagged on every rock and stick, had to lift it over deadfalls, didn't seem like it was better than just packing it out on my back...It was great on level ground though...

I was thinking the advantage of the one wheel style is that it might be easier to maneuver through the brush and around the rocks...But, not sure if their is any advantage as I have never used one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The taller the wheel, the easier it pushes and goes over stuff.....

think Packwheel or Honey Badger carts....

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
The taller the wheel, the easier it pushes and goes over stuff.....

think Packwheel or Honey Badger carts....

That makes sense. I could see where the wheelbarrow style/ size wheel could be a drawback...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I been using a wheel barrow as a game cart for years.

I take the "stand" part off the back that holds it up while you load it and just use the front wheel with the tub.

If you have any kind of path at all it just sails down the trail and in the weeds I pull it backward some times. The tub just parts head high weeds and lets it all go through kind a like a "weed boat".

If you have to cross a tree just back up to it handles first and use that to set it while you climb over. Then pull the handles over and down to "cam" the load right over and slides off. Down the road again.

Last edited by JackRyan; 09/17/20.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ramdiesel

IMHO - YMMV.

I tried the 2 wheel style game cart before. Borrowed one from my brother that was kind of like a dolly with smallish bicycle type tires on it. It really sucked going up a steep incline with an elk quarter on it...Snagged on every rock and stick, had to lift it over deadfalls, didn't seem like it was better than just packing it out on my back...It was great on level ground though...

I was thinking the advantage of the one wheel style is that it might be easier to maneuver through the brush and around the rocks...But, not sure if their is any advantage as I have never used one.

I have one of those two wheel cart things. I found it out in the woods, left from the year before. Used it a couple times just in case I was doing it wrong the first time. I HATE that thing.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JackRyan

IMHO - YMMV.

I have one of those two wheel cart things. I found it out in the woods, left from the year before. Used it a couple times just in case I was doing it wrong the first time. I HATE that thing.

LOL! I could definitely see where someone could get pissed at one of them and leave it in the woods...I think I would only use one again if I could run it on mostly level ground or a decent trail...Fighting that thing going uphill made it more work than just using a meat frame pack...

Last edited by Ramdiesel; 09/17/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've done more than make a cart from a wheelbarrow...or maybe you'd call it less. My partner and I used a wheelbarrow to pack an elk 4 miles on a logging road and it worked great. Granted, it was 90% downhill. Going uphill would have been an entirely different beast. For the short uphill sections of the road, we tied a rope on the front for the other guy to pull.

Someone said you need 2 wheels. That's fine if you're on the flat on a road or wide trail. In the mountains it'll get you in trouble. You'll be too wide for many trails. You can't get between rocks and sidehills will roll you. The only way you can use 2 wheels in the mountains is to have them in single file and that creates problems of it's own.

Don't use a Walmart wheelbarrow. Get a good one. It'll be strained a lot more than when you use it at home and the cheap ones can't take it. I can tell where you can find a pile of old wheelbarrow parts about 2 miles from a trailhead.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One year I killed an elk about a mile behind a Forest Service locked gate and used a wheelbarrow to pack him out, 1/2 at a time. The road was pretty much all downhill so it worked pretty well.

Years later I built a one wheel cart with an old bicycle wheel at one end, then a 2'x4' basket in the middle and two handlebars at the other end. I've used it many years in eastern Montana to carry out antelope, and with only one wheel it gets through the sagebrush well. I used it once to pack a 3x3 mule deer about a half mile uphill to a road, and because 1/2 of the weight is held up by the handlebars, it was a tough pull.

I also bought a two side by side wheel game cart from Cabela's and have used it to carry out a number of deer and antelope. Like Rock Chuck mentioned, it's tippy on sidehillls, and both wheels won't fit on narrow trails.

Then a few years ago I built an inline two wheel cart with the wheels under the basket. It has handlebars on each end, but I've only used it by myself. It worked good in eastern Montana packing antelope out, except one time when I tried to cross a wet alkaline wet area. The wheels sunk in and it was a royal pain getting across. I also made it with square steel tubing that was too thick which made it very heavy.

Last year I re-made it by taking off one wheel and moving the single wheel to the center, under the basket. Its a little lighter, but when it's loaded, the weight is high and is a little tippy for one person to use. I've seen advertisements of a similar commercial one with two guys packing out whole elk on it. By myself, I don't think I could get it upright with a whole elk on it.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Made this about 20 years ago, used it several times.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Seems like none of the designs for game carts, 1 wheel or 2 wheel, are perfect for every scenario...It would be nice if someone could build an affordable 1 wheel one with an electric motor to assist with the uphill, but it would probably have drawbacks too like being to heavy or short battery life...

Last edited by Ramdiesel; 09/18/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kenster99
Do you find that to be too heavy on the handles? You're carrying nearly 1/2 the weight of the deer with your hands. I'd rework it to get the weight more over the tire.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by kenster99
Do you find that to be too heavy on the handles? You're carrying nearly 1/2 the weight of the deer with your hands. I'd rework it to get the weight more over the tire.

That's exactly how I was thinking of using it. Thanks for the pic kenster99, and yes, seeing that pic, it does look like it would be to much weight up by the handles...

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Shot this deer about 3 miles from my parked truck. Got him right before sunset,then gutted, so by the time I got back to truck to fetch cart and then return, total darkness. Had a flashlight, but only two hands! If I had some duct tape, would have taped light to his head. Took a few tumbles as the bar in front hit some high rocks! All in all, made pretty good time considering.
Balance isn't that bad.Was younger then, and had some addrenalin helping out!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would be nice if someone could build an affordable 1 wheel one with an electric motor to assist with the uphill, but it would probably have drawbacks too like being to heavy or short battery life...

They do. Check out Packwheel and Honey Badger carts. Both make an electric assist model. Packwheel is way better'n my Honey Badger....

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
It would be nice if someone could build an affordable 1 wheel one with an electric motor to assist with the uphill, but it would probably have drawbacks too like being to heavy or short battery life...

They do. Check out Packwheel and Honey Badger carts. Both make an electric assist model. Packwheel is way better'n my Honey Badger....

The electric packwheel is nearly 2,000 dollars...I already spend too much on hunting trips and equipment...:)....Would never hear the end of it from my wife...

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I used one several times.
Had a game warden actually help me push it up the hill with a young buck in it. He was curious why my vehicle was still in the hunting area (wildlife management area) so long after legal hours. Had to drag the deer about 500 yards through the swamp to get it to the fire lane, walk 500 yards uphill to the station wagon (we called it the “Brown Bomb”) and take the wheel barrow back to the deer. The warden was a good sport about it but he was probably laughing his butt off inside.
He had a good one to share with his buddy LEO’s. “You’ll never believe what happened the other night” 😁.

Last edited by navlav8r; 09/18/20.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
We have two game carts, both 2-wheel, one an older (but very light) model with side-by-side wheels. It weighs less than 20 pounds, so is pretty convenient there, and the frame is long enough that a deer or antelope or elk quarter/half can be easily loaded. But even though the the wheels are only 16" apart, and the center of gravity is relatively low, it doesn't work well on even relatively gentle mountain trails--except for closed logging roads.

It also came with bicycle type tires, and when they eventually wore out (partly due to lots of trundling antelope across prickly pear), found the same size could NOT be found anywhere. So found some solid-tire wheels of about the same size, which required some machining by gunsmith John McLaughlin to fit the axle. (John is a hunter, along with being a great machinist/gunsmith: www.mclaughlincustomfirearms.com)

Seven years ago bought a neetkart (www.neetkart.com), which has two in-line wheels, a much heavier frame, and bicycle-type brakes. It can also be equipped with another set of handles on the front end. Unless the animal is under 100 pounds it only works well with two people, one at each end--but then it works really well, both on flats and on narrow mountain trails. Have hauled out stuff from two pronghorns to a halved cow elk with no problem. (In fact, it has now been adopted by a number of search-and-rescue crews to get hurt humans out of the hills.) You could do far worse than look at its design.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The electric packwheel is nearly 2,000 dollars...I already spend too much on hunting trips and equipment...:)....Would never hear the end of it from my wife...

Ain't priced horses lately either, have ya?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

169 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 44mc, 35, 338rcm, 20 invisible), 1,325 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,223
Posts18,447,523
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.