Print Thread
Hop To
A
acy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I've got everything except for the gas block for my first complete build, and post office says Monday delivery for that. Couple of questions for you experienced builders.

1. Grease for barrel nut. I've got some permatex anti seize lubricant, but it has graphite. I've read that you shouldn't use a graphite based lube. Also have an old tub of Slick 50 One Grease. It has teflon and says for use on wheel bearings and other high temperature/high pressure applications. The word graphite doesn't appear anywhere on the tub. Any problems with using the Slick 50?

2. It seems like I read somewhere not to over tighten the flash hider/muzzle break. I'm using a Seekins Nest flash hider. It doesn't need indexed and doesn't use a crush washer. I'm thinking about a drop of red loctite and just snug it up. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

ARIC

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Grease will work.

As for the muzzle device use a crush washer.

I don't use thread locker because it is not needed.

You can if you want to.

A
acy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I'll use the Slick 50. I was surprised about the lack of washer for the Seekins, but they say no crush or peel washer necessary. Am thinking about the loctite because I don't want to torque it too much.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You can use the grease used for black powder breech plugs if you have that. Never heard anything about graphite, what I did hear was some anti seize has crushed aluminum in it and it can cause the nut to gald.

Don’t use a crush washer if it says not to, Smith Vortex’s are the same way, no washer. I use red loctite and just snug a regular FH up with a crush washer. If it needs to be timed, I crush it then loosen it off so it times without much torque. I believe that was an AMU tip I picked up from Rost I think.

A
acy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Ah yes. Forgot about breech plug grease. Have that, too. Thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never heard of an issue with graphite grease but I use AeroShell moly grease on my barrel nuts. If you want to locktite the muzzle device I would use blue rather than red.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
T
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Grease will work.

As for the muzzle device use a crush washer.

I don't use thread locker because it is not needed.

You can if you want to.

Wait before you do that. I got a Smith Vortex flash hider and it did not come with a crush washer. I called to complain since I really wanted to shoot that day. Smith said that flash hider (same as used by the SEALs) does not utilize a crush washer and told me to put the flash hider on and tighten to specs. Find out from the manufacturer before automatically putting a crush washer on.

A
acy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Nothing on the packaging or website regarding recommended torque. I'll fire off an email, but if they don't have a specific torque, I'm just going to snug it down.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 71 invisible), 2,833 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,200
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.