Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
I really liked my BRNO 602 375 H&H (not near as clubby as the CZ) but sent it down the road after acquiring a stainless NH rifle that had been chopped, fluted and bedded into a Pound'r. I took the latter on an unsuccessful twelve day brown bear hunt in SE Alaska. I did swap out the extractor for a Williams.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

You better get 7 more holes in them targets before BSA tells you 3 shot groups are worthless. I settled on 74.5gr RL15, with a 300gr TSX and federal 215. Don’t tell anyone but I’m using a leupold scope as well..

Last edited by 79S; 09/07/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok, here is what I've been packing, it has, and will Get-er-Done.....
Lj, Alaska.... cool

Attached Images

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like my New Haven SS M-70 .375 H&H, chopped and fluted.

Speaking of CZ's, I had traded for this AHR in 9.3x62. It handled great, was a tad heavy but shot really well with JB's loads. I kept it a while, traded it. AHR does great things with the CZ. It's gotten sorta expensive, though.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
God help me when I drag my lowly stainless classic in a 375 H&H to kodiak in October for my bear hunt. Will you all say a prayer for me...

Yeah, don't get eaten... Poor bear.. He'd probably spit you out on the first bite.. You know there is noting wrong with a classic stainless.. Should get the job done just fine, if the nut behind the butt does his part... One question though, did you shorten the barrel on that rifle, like DF did with his? 22" with irons would be cool...

Nope, rifle feels fine.. but what do I know I’m just a dumb Alaskan trying to survive..

Maybe try fishing?

Why is that what you are doing??? Fishing John day river for some catfish?

Hey, are you spying on me??? You remember sherars bridge? Its part of the warmsprings tribal land. Girlfriend and I cruised by there earlier today and those fn indians are crazy sitting out over that rough azzed water on the Deschutes!!! Some have fallen in and died, but they still do it on those rickity azzed platforms..
Sherars falls

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
God help me when I drag my lowly stainless classic in a 375 H&H to kodiak in October for my bear hunt. Will you all say a prayer for me...

Yeah, don't get eaten... Poor bear.. He'd probably spit you out on the first bite.. You know there is noting wrong with a classic stainless.. Should get the job done just fine, if the nut behind the butt does his part... One question though, did you shorten the barrel on that rifle, like DF did with his? 22" with irons would be cool...

Nope, rifle feels fine.. but what do I know I’m just a dumb Alaskan trying to survive..

Maybe try fishing?

Why is that what you are doing??? Fishing John day river for some catfish?

Hey, are you spying on me???

Lol, I never did get a chance to fish the John
Day river. I had friends that did and they caught some nice cat fish.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Seriously, you been spying on me...??

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seriously, you been spying on me...??

Just the bathroom camera, you keep missing a spot when you shave your back..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Anyone else?

I'd say the CZ and BRNO 602 are unnecessarily large/heavy for a 375magnum. Owned two 602s over the years.

If it was for a 416 or 404, go for the CZ.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

That is one sweet rifle!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

That is one sweet rifle!

Thanks, and it shot about as well as it looks.

Here's a fav, one of JB's loads.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
CZ 550 for me. I live in grizzly country (we get them right in our farmyard time to time) and used to pack a .45-70 but wanted something more versatile and have long bin fascinated by the .375 H&H calibre and what the pros say about it. So i did my research, took a look at CZ and Winchester mostly. I went with the CZ. I liked the lines a little better, i liked the sights better, i liked the capacity better, as others have said.

Also, when Rigby couldn't get Mauser actions during WWII they chose BRNO (CZ) actions for their rifles. You can still find the occasionally high-end Rigby for sale with these actions. Indeed i have read reviewers who say they cycle BETTER than the magnum Mauser actions they are styled after. They have a reputation for flawless dependability amongst PH's in Africa where it has been commented that more PH's carry CZ's than any other rifle. I thought, good enough for Rigby, good enough for PH's, good enough for me. Oh, i have also read comparisons where it is the most accurate of rifles tested - including Winchester - right out of the box.

So i bought a base model, about $1,200. As many others have written, the bolt needed some breaking-in, but after several hundred cycles it became very smooth. Also, while the walnut was perfectly decent the stock was overbuilt and rudimentarily finished. I reshaped and refinished the stock (planed, sanded, stained and oil polished) based on the lines of the old Rigby stocks. I also put a barrel-band sling holder on and had the barrel shortened 2" from 25" (too long for me) to 23" which i think is perfect. There was no effect on the superb accuracy.

It now looks and handles like vintage high-end working safari rifle. I reckon for $1,200 that's what you get from CZ - a high-end rifle in the rough. A little elbow grease and you end up with the equivalent of a $5,000 rifle cos of course that's where much of the cost is in these premium brands - the time put into hand finishing. And you can get one of those with CZ too, if you don't mind paying that much and don't want to do the work yourself. With a lower-priced CZ you have a great platform. Oh, the set trigger is a really nice feature too, on the range or on the stand. I carry this rifle with me everywhere in these hills and even on the farm when i'm in the thick stuff and the dogs have bin going nuts at night and those little tufts of silver tipped hair are on the barbed wire along with those big, long-clawed tracks. Love it. I've worked up some nice handloads for various hunting duties.

I have recently heard they are discontinuing manufacture of their magnum rifles, however. I have also heard more recently manufactured ones are not what the older ones are (but others saying their late models are just fine.) So i suppose there may be some urgency in finding one.

Last edited by gulo; 09/09/20.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Incidentally, as an addendum to my above post, my CZ .375 "American Safari" came with a fairly slim stock when i bought it new about a decade ago, if overbuilt in the grip area especially. There was no comb and the fore-end had a slim contour compared to all the pics i've seen of this model. I have never been able to find a pic of a late model CZ 550 magnum with the stock mine came with in fact, and i would agree wholeheartedly with those who say the stocks on most of them are way overbuilt. Big, rectangular, clumsy things. So mostly the work i did on the stock was smoothing edges and considerably recontouring/streamlining and reducing the pistol grip.

Most interesting is that i was just looking at pictures of old BRNO .375's that others here have commented were slimmer than the recent CZ's and lo and behold there on some of these 60's guns is the stock that my later model CZ came with, contour-wise. I wonder what was up there? Did they have some old BRNO stocks laying around they wanted to use?

Last edited by gulo; 09/09/20.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, those are good, solid guns, diamonds in the rough.

I've read where JB did similar with his big CZ, got it slimmed down to fit him, refinished the stock and is pleased with the result.

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Within a couple of weeks my wife's refined cz 550 7x57 will arrive home. I will have to get pics up. I understand it is a shade over 7lbs which is a decent weight savings compared to what it began life as from the factory. I will say the trigger was tuned well.

The way life should be.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would say with the CZ push forward set trigger that the trigger goes to CZ also.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MS9x56
I would say with the CZ push forward set trigger that the trigger goes to CZ also.

I don't find their set trigger all that great. The MOA on my M70 308 is better than my CZ set trigger. The set isn't awful, but is no Canjar.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I only have one 375 H&H, but it is an AI version. It's a Pre-64. I can find no fault with it.

I had another 375 H&H but the stock didn't fit me. It was a straight 375 H&H but it felt like it kicked harder than the Winchester. I can't recall the manufacture and I only shot maybe 10 rounds through it.

I had a Post 64 300 Winchester Classic and I didn't care for it. I doubt I'll buy another.

If you can find a pre-64 Winchester, buy it.

I have a couple of CZ's though, nothing as powerful as a 375. I find no fault with them.

Last edited by Bugger; 09/19/20.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
While I haven't owned a FN Winchester, I did own a 80's NH. The Winchester handles better, but the CZ is a better built gun. I no longer own the Winchester, and have two CZ's in the safe. One a 375, and the other a 270 from CZ's custom shop. It's a shame they are no longer being built. But as Jeff Cooper used to say, "I've got mine."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought a CZ 550 Safari American, found it a Gander Mountain about ten years ago on sale so got it for a real bargin. I already had a Ruger #1 in that caliber and it is not pleasant to shoot, kicks hard and fast, which I think has to do more with stock shape and fit. The CZ attracted me because of two things, it fit me perfectly, and yes the stock is a bit chubby,but the wide buttplate helps with recoil. I could throw it up and those express sights line up perfectly for me. Second thing was that the stop was absolutly beautiful.. They had two other identical models, in .458 Lott and .416 Rigby. I would have liked the Rigby but both of those had rather pain wood, and I rightly figured I could afford to shoot the .375 more, especially considering the price of the Rigby brass. With the weight and "chubby" stock this rifle is milder in the recoil dept than my old Win 70 featherweight in 30-06

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 5shot
Originally Posted by MS9x56

I don't find their set trigger all that great. The MOA on my M70 308 is better than my CZ set trigger. The set isn't awful, but is no Canjar.

You guys better be careful with those CZ triggers too, they are weak and are prone to breaking.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,467
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.