Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
From a friend who has a side-by-side two wheel cart... His area is flat, which should make it simpler, but he also has thick blueberries and other low brush. The problem is that the wheels are spoked and brush along the sides pokes thru the spokes and jams the whole thing to a halt.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
here's a short vid from last fall. My kid wheeling out a whole cow elk on the Honey Badger. A bone-in hind, bone-in shoulder, backstrap and tender in the panniers on either side.

coming off the mountain with all our chit.....

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
THAT is pretty slick 😀

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
This is what I use. It is Great!

https://307mfg.com/atvbackpackercart.php

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A wheel barrow has worked much better than the light weight two wheeled carts on narrow trails and cross country. I think if you could fit a bugger wheel on one it would work pretty well. I keep thinking about chopping up a mountain bike or just removing the front forks but leaving the handles for a DIY game cart.

The larger tires are a plus, solid tires a plus, and spoke less tires are a big plus. The self healing inner tubes and green slime help a lot for cactus.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I started out with a spoke wheel Cabela's Super Mag Hauler two wheel cart and it was anything but super. The spokes in those wheels came apart in the brush. I kept the frame and substituted 21" aluminum motocross wheels and tires. There are brake drums in those wheels, so brakes could be used, but I've never needed them. That worked well enough on flat ground, but a sled in snow has worked even better. The trouble with those two is that they are back in the truck. Now what I've done is taken the front smaller wheel off an old wheel chair and mounted it under my pack frame. A nice light weight addition and when I get tired of carrying a heavy load on my back, I can wheel it. We can cut our deer up here now and rope and pulleys to get a deer up in a tree makes getting them out in pieces pretty easy.

If I was rebuilding that two wheel cart again, I would use the Nylon spoke wheel chair wheels. Much lighter than those motorcycle wheels and the outboard hand assists might come in handy getting over an obstacle.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
No, but I used a wheelbarrow to get a deer out before. Works pretty good too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are a couple problems with using wheels larger than a wheelbarrows. A larger one will roll over stuff better, true. However, to get the most benefit from the cart, the weight needs to be over the wheel, not behind it where much of load is carried by the user's arms. To get a deer over the large wheel, it's going to have to be considerably higher and that really screws with the balance. A top heavy cart is miserable to use.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hence the low-hanging panniers....

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
here's a short vid from last fall. My kid wheeling out a whole cow elk on the Honey Badger. A bone-in hind, bone-in shoulder, backstrap and tender in the panniers on either side.

It's impressive how he is going up the inclines in the first video with not much of a struggle with that much of a load...The 2 wheel cart I used once wouldn't go uphill that easily with 1 elk quarter on it, granted I was going up a steeper incline than that for a longer distance...The wheels were a help, but you could really feel the weight increase dramatically pulling the 2 wheel cart as soon as it started uphill.. Looks like your cart works great to distribute the weight and take a lot of the work off the user...

Last edited by Ramdiesel; 09/21/20.
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I built a lot of things, but not that. It seems like that be best if it has two wheels.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would think that a Mt. or BMX bicycle frame might be a better way to go, it could have one or two inline wheels. An aluminum "wheel-less" trailer basket could be attached and front and rear handles welded on or attached where the handle bars are somehow.

I have used wheel barrows to retrieve game and the hitting the front end or the wheel on rocks and the jabs of the handle bars to the groin did not enamor me to the device. Worked better when I towed it in reverse. The commercial two wheeled carts are great if not too rocky or too much vegetation and on roads they are great. Get solid spoke-less tires/wheels and go as large as you can.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22

The hand brakes really help.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 2,917 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.