Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for the kind words.

As usual you get it.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Geez MCH, reread everything I wrote. I never mentioned slapping anybody. And the one poster who did used it as a figure of speech. Chill out man!

And Battue was quite snarky to the OP, about losing the duck and hence his ethics question. I’m sure I read Battue wrong but this isn’t the first time I’ve seen him be kinda rude about wingshooting. But it’s still a matter of opinion, we all have them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And Battue, I apologize for pushing your buttons. I love to hunt but I’m far from an accomplished wingshooter. I’m sure I’d understand your point of view better, having experienced hunt over good dogs etc. good luck this fall,

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 270jrk
Geez MCH, reread everything I wrote. I never mentioned slapping anybody. And the one poster who did used it as a figure of speech. Chill out man!

And Battue was quite snarky to the OP, about losing the duck and hence his ethics question. I’m sure I read Battue wrong but this isn’t the first time I’ve seen him be kinda rude about wingshooting. But it’s still a matter of opinion, we all have them.

I read everything you wrote! My comment was not aimed at you, so you may want to be the one to lighten up. You just happened to be the one that responded to my post.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You quoted me in your post, and Then referred to “some of you guys”. You can see why that’s confusing then right?

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You quoted me in your post, and Then referred to “some of you guys”. You can see why that’s confusing then right?

NO I did not quote you in my initial response. Then you responded to my response and YES I quoted your response. There is nothing confusing about it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Okay dude, you win 👍

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Okay dude, you win 👍

It isn't about winning. You said Battue brought up the BA. Which you are correct he did. I merely stated that there are guys that any of us just don't slap up side the head. And also the fact that we live in a society that well nobody is slapping anyone else. It was not aimed at you directly. Slap someone today and you are going to be arrested. This isn't the good old days when men could hash out their differences and then go on about their business.

Sadly the days of men being men have come and gone.

I hope that clarifies things for you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes sir, and I agree.

And as wonderful as the internet is, it’s not as good as in person, never will be.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, I have two daughters, and I’d like them to find a good man (real man) when they’re older. It’s not going to be easy to find, gotta look in the “1800’s section” is what my wife says. Grin.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For me, it would come down to why you're hunting ducks. If you need the meat and are not a good wingshot, then I have no big problem with shooting them on the water, but just know that they can be hard to kill on the water too and you can still lose birds. BUT, for those who hunt for fun and sport, a big part of the challenge is learning to shoot them on the wing. The first time I took my son duck hunting on the river behind our house. A Woodie came in and hit the water. He looked at me and said, "Can I". He was just 12 and not a good wing shooter and I wanted him to have some success and to have him watch our Lab make a retrieve. So I said, "Just this once." He nodded and got it and I gave our Lab (my son's birthday present) the command "Sam, back!" and he made a nice retrieve.

Another quick story. My sister was a skeet shooter and fairly decent one. One time she was hunting with her then husband and one of his friends when a duck swam into their decoy set. Her husband's friend said, "There's one for ya Cathy." She stood up in the blind and yelled "Pull" . The duck took flight and she dropped it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good thoughts Cooper

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And Battue, I apologize for pushing your buttons. I love to hunt but I’m far from an accomplished wingshooter. I’m sure I’d understand your point of view better, having experienced hunt over good dogs etc. good luck this fall,

No apologies required. If some think bringing up the obvious points re: the OP’s ethics question is being snarky then I’m guilty. However in the world I hang, the same reasoning would have me being the brunt of some serious jagging.

MCH would know what I’m referring to:
“Hey Dan, I blew that 20 yard shot, can I shoot the next one on the water?” “Oh sure, go right ahead. Go right ahead [bleep]. . Just give me time to record it on the phone for all to see.” I’m sure his tone may be snarky.

Last edited by battue; 09/26/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fair enough Battue. Good luck in the hills this fall everyone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cooper57m
For me, it would come down to why you're hunting ducks. If you need the meat and are not a good wingshot, then I have no big problem with shooting them on the water, but just know that they can be hard to kill on the water too and you can still lose birds. BUT, for those who hunt for fun and sport, a big part of the challenge is learning to shoot them on the wing. The first time I took my son duck hunting on the river behind our house. A Woodie came in and hit the water. He looked at me and said, "Can I". He was just 12 and not a good wing shooter and I wanted him to have some success and to have him watch our Lab make a retrieve. So I said, "Just this once." He nodded and got it and I gave our Lab (my son's birthday present) the command "Sam, back!" and he made a nice retrieve.

Another quick story. My sister was a skeet shooter and fairly decent one. One time she was hunting with her then husband and one of his friends when a duck swam into their decoy set. Her husband's friend said, "There's one for ya Cathy." She stood up in the blind and yelled "Pull" . The duck took flight and she dropped it.

now that woman has CLASS!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes she does! She's very talented at just everything she does. A very classy and capable woman.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
This thread is internet gold.

Thanks for the entertainment!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a teen, I jump shot ducks off the farm ponds. I had no retriever, no decoys, and no waders. I wore bread bags over wool socks with high top tenny-sneakers. I quickly learned its difficult to kill a duck on the water, so much of it's vitals are below the surface. Better to wait until it's in the air and preferably until it will fall on dry land.

Yes, I hunted squirrels with a shotgun.
The Corps of Engineers did not allow hunting with anything else.

Now I shoot birds on the wing and squirrels with a flintlock. It's more fun that way.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see this was brought to the top.....and I guess that while my work computer reboots I'll add another dimension to all of this:

Aside from the other ethics issues above, the topic of jump shooting ducks is always a fun one. Trying to sneak up on a pond with mallards can be quite the challenge...any hint of danger and they're gone. Quickly.
To me, the hunter who can sneak within shotgun range and make a shot on unaware ducks is the better hunter...he who shots them consistently, but only after they flush is the better shooter. This way of thinking is in direct contradiction to those who slam long range deer hunters because "it's called hunting, not shooting".

Thoughts?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I sneak up on ducks all the time. The most effective way to hunt on the Bitterroot River. Once I am up on them in range I stand up let them fly and shoot them. But I don't care how someone else shoots them provided it is a legal way and safe.

I know of a lot of places where shooting ducks on the water could end you up shooting other hunters. Of course that isn't every case but there are many where it becomes a possibility. It is your responsibility to know what is beyond your target.

As far as shooting deer long range, I don't care how you shoot them as long as it is legal and within your own personal range.

The only thing I don't get is the long range archery thing. The whole purpose of archery is to hunt close.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

613 members (204guy, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,260
Posts18,448,161
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.