Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 86 of 149 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 148 149
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OverGunnedIdiot
. My pops killed many a deer with on in .284 that had an old school fix powered Redfield Lee Dot scope on it.

I didn't realize that they were ever chambered in 284. That old gun be worth a bit to a collector.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Add another 760 fan to the mix. I got my 30-06 back in 2006 while stationed in Germany. I killed a roe deer, pigs, and a fox with it. I gave it to my dad when I returned and he added a pad and a trigger job. It shoots very well and the kick doesn't seems as bad now.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've posted this elsewhere, but since it is a pump.... Just got this 141 this week, along with the model 81 (in .32 Rem). Hope to get them both in the woods come fall.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a nephew that has a Rem pump in 270. He is deadly with it and I sure don't want him shooting at me with it. He regularly takes mulies, pronghorns and elk back in my native CO.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
This is my first year production Remington 760 pump in 30-06, manufactured March of 1952.

Not a great picture, lousy day here and just not quite dark enough for the flash to go off.

I had a Bushnell scope on it and wasn't really happy with it, and I ran across an old school El Paso Weaver V4.5 from the 70's and mounted it in old school weaver rings. No Weaver pivot rings for this gun as the rear sight is missing, that's how I got it
Bore sighted the gun and brought the barrel down to bare steel with JB Bore Paste so it's ready for Dyna Bore .

Now if our communist governor would open up the ranges I could sight it in and work up a load for it. Gun is pretty clean and in excellent condition for it's age, schit, it's only 6 months younger than I am.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I've added a couple trombones in the past year. First was a left hand 760 BDL .30-06 complete with see thru mounts, and then a Savage 170C .30-30 followed me home from Cabelas for cheap. Since I already own several .30-06s and .30-30s, one or both may get sent to JES for a larger diameter bore

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
My first center fire rifle was a 7600 in the ever able 30/06. It was bought after mowing lawns most of the summer of 1983. We had a family friend that did sporting goods sales and he enjoyed helping folks out with the best price he could give. Mine , I think, was sold to me for the price that it cost him. If memory serves me right it was $265. I didn't have money for a scope that year but things worked out just fine anyhow because I killed a spike buck the very first day I hunted with it.
That rifle was stolen from me several years later when I loaned to a friend. As hard as it is for me to believe, that was over 20 years ago. About four or five years ago I finally decided to replace it. But instead of the 30/06 I chose one of its of its offspring the 35 Whelen. I've only hunted it a very few times but the first hunt in the Fall of 2018 I killed a spike buck. It brought back memories of that first 7600 and the kid that hunted it back then. I never intend to be without one again.
I can see me and the 35 Whelen becoming very good friends. I would like to find either a 243 or 308 and have it re-bored to one of the best cartridges to ever wear the Winchester name, the 358 Win. I came close once when I bought one of Grice's limited run in 35 Remington. It was the carbine version with an 18.5" Barrel. I kept about a year without firing it and sold it at a gun show for what I had given for it. Someday, if the world doesn't all die from the Covid 19 virus, I'd love to run down a 760 in 35 Remington and maybe keep it that grand old cartridge. No need for a 760 in 35 Rem and another in 358 but I guess "need" has little to do with it...

Goat

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Posted pics of a couple of my Remington 14R & 141R carbines in the Image Gallery if someone would like to take a look at them and maybe move them over to this thread.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Posted pics of a couple of my Remington 14R & 141R carbines in the Image Gallery if someone would like to take a look at them and maybe move them over to this thread.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
May have posted this before; it's been awhile. 7600 in .30-06 with a Zeiss 4x on top. Look closely and you'll see the impressed checkering has been re-cut; a really nice upgrade.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

M
MagMarc Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RGK
May have posted this before; it's been awhile. 7600 in .30-06 with a Zeiss 4x on top. Look closely and you'll see the impressed checkering has been re-cut; a really nice upgrade.
Bob

Very nice upgrade.

G
gmg Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I like 760s and have had few .I look at them often on gb .I want to get a basket weave one I like the looks of them.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
A fine specimen. And what looks like the nicest mag of that style in a long time.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gmg
I like 760s and have had few .I look at them often on gb .I want to get a basket weave one I like the looks of them.

I like the raised cheekpiece on the 760 BDLs with the basket weave "checkering", but the forearms have a flat bottom, almost beavertail style, forearm that feels realy bulky in my left hand.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Speaking of the 257 Roberts, a buddy texted me this morning that the Scheel's store in Omaha has a 90%+ Remington 760 in their used guns rack priced at $400. He reports that it is original, except that the rear sight was replaced with a correct period Marble's unit, no extra holes or recoil pad. He reports that there is some light, very light, freckling on the top of the receiver and that the plug screws look untouched, so probably there from carrying it with a sweaty hand. It is the standard, ADL, style with plain wood and a grooved forearm. He didn't look at the bore, but said that the SN is 2141xx and the assembly code is either PA or AP, He said that he hadn't seen as nice a 760 in 257 Roberts for a decade or more and would have bought it if he hadn't just paid for college for 3 of his 6 kids.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, that would have been a quick buy if I saw it!

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Add me to the list of 760/7600 fans. I approached mine from a different direction, a handy ranch/mountain rifle for here in New Mexico. As I'm a southpaw with lots of trigger time on pump shotguns, a pump rifle was a natural solution to my need for a rifle with more reach than my AR carbine. Flatter trajectory made .270 a natural choice. With minor Dremel/file modifications to the stock, the 7600 will accept a Magpul shotgun stock. I mainly mounted that stock for the grip angle and adjustable LOP; I like pistol grips but the SGA snags less. Optic is a VX-Freedom AR 1.5-4x.
I tend to carry this rifle when out prospecting. It hasn't gone hunting yet; it'll come along next time I'm helping a rancher friend call coyotes.

Out on BLM land in northern NM.

Matching most other experiences here, mine is a shooter. This 3-shot group was at 275 yards with 130-grain Federal Power-Shok. This rifle HATES 150-grain Power-Points; the result is fist-sized patterns at 100 yards. 130-grain Power-Points did better; it may be a matter of slow barrel twist.

Mine is the only one of its kind most of my buddies out here have seen. A friend from Missouri believes his dad had one, and I may have seen one or two at gun shows when I lived there. It's been well-received, and I used it in a bit of "outlaw 3-gun"-type fun out in the desert with excellent results. The darned thing just hits what I aim at.

Last edited by DeoVindice; 09/19/20.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cool rig. They’re handy as heck!

Good shooter too

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Deo V said above.

"Add me to the list of 760/7600 fans. I approached mine from a different direction, a handy ranch/mountain rifle for here in New Mexico. As I'm a southpaw with lots of trigger time on pump shotguns, a pump rifle was a natural solution to my need for a rifle with more reach than my AR carbine. Flatter trajectory made .270 a natural choice. With minor Dremel/file modifications to the stock,"

You are certainly right about a natural solution. I've posted this pix much earlier in this thread but didn't take the time
to find it.

I like the Rem Model Six: 06, 270 (2), & 6mm Rem.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nice rig. I suggest slathering your rifle with Eezox for rust resistance. In my experience Remington's matte finish seems to rust easily.

Last edited by Dave_in_WV; 09/20/20.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 86 of 149 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 148 149

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 57 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,643
Posts18,455,374
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.