24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
About 20 years ago I purchased a Python (that had been reblued), as I have always loved the looks of them. Unfortunately I don't like the factory "plowshare" grips, and a set of Hogue grips feel too large for my hands.

Anybody have a lead on slightly smaller grips? Everything I have shopped on line seem like the same size as the Hogue grips.

Thanks for your input!

Pershing 1A. No city too big, no populated area too small. We even get the roaches.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First off, we need to know what you are seeking. Do you want wood grips or rubber or even some other material? Your post just says smaller grips, but typically Hogue grips are soft rubber. The most common Python grips, especially for a typical blued 6" Python are wooden grips similar to Smith and Wesson oversized targets but flaring at the bottom. They were roundly hated back in the old days and now prized since Pythons went out of orbit price-wise.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Mine is a 4 inch Python, if that makes any difference in opinions.

The flare at the bottom is what I dislike, and the Hogue grips seem just as wide. These grips make for an awkward grip, as I can't get a proper "handshake."

I would really like G10 Python grips (I have them on 3 other guns), but I am open to rubber or even wood. I just need something a bit smaller to get a proper grip.

Pershing 1A. No city too big, no populated area too small. We even get the roaches.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mine wears Pachmayr Grippers when it goes to the range, the factory stocks are too wide to suit me. The gun deserves better, but these "fit". I'll probably get a set of Ropers for it.
'

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sounds like we have the same issue! I don't shoot mine as much as I want to simply because of the ill fit of the grips. I will take a look at the Grippers, and thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Checked out the Grippers, and I think they might do the trick. Just ordered a pair, so we will see soon.

Thanks for your input!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have Altamont on my Python, I went with the bonded ivory just because I think it looks so good on a nickel revolver. The fit could be better, but the feel is great. Imagine the factory grips, thinned significantly and there you have it. They make them in various woods with and without checkering and they are very reasonably priced. I may pick up a second set in walnut.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GunGeek; 09/20/20.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have thin smallish hands and the factory Python grips are awful to me, somewhat akin to grasping a railroad tie. The smaller, what S&W would call a Magna or really more like a Service stock are much better. Add a Tyler T or a Pachmyer grip adapter and they become downright useable, again for me.

FWIW I also despise S&W Targets aside from the early Coke bottle profile stocks that cost as much as a decent M10 if you can find a set. All of the later iterations of Targets are much too large and angular for me.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Depends on what folks are looking for, right? Put way the high dollar originals and use the ones offered...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pachmayr presentation used to be in 2 sizes for the Python.
Detest Grippers on anything but a Contender.

I went Hogue rubber on my Python.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I ordered a set of the Pachmayr Grippers and these are really doing the trick! The grip is slimmer, and narrower at the bottom (where I was really having a fit issue).

I appreciate all the input, thanks all!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Glad you are happy with them. One size definitely doesn't fit all.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
First off, we need to know what you are seeking. Do you want wood grips or rubber or even some other material? Your post just says smaller grips, but typically Hogue grips are soft rubber. The most common Python grips, especially for a typical blued 6" Python are wooden grips similar to Smith and Wesson oversized targets but flaring at the bottom. They were roundly hated back in the old days and now prized since Pythons went out of orbit price-wise.

You selling used rubbers ?

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Agree on Herrett shooting stars. However, I recommend getting them smooth, not checkered. I was a young buck with a like new old Colt Trooper, Python without rib or the beautiful finish. Got a set of Herretts and they were very nicely made, fit great and were sharp checkered. My shooting hand palm was bleeding after a few shots! The sharp checkering dug out into my palms.

Again, I'd go with the smooth beautiful Herretts shown in the above link.

Old guy, old guns.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
218 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,592 guests, and 886 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,917
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.