Campfire Outfitter

GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I was twelve years old. My parents were busy, and just did attend church much for while . After my older brother died in an auto accident they stepped it up a lot.
Presbyterian Church, sprinkling.

Baptism is the first step of obedience to God AFTER choosing to get saved.

I was a baby who was not Biblically baptized.
There's no reason for babies to be baptized unless the denomination teaches that babies go to hell with out that ritual. The Bible does not teach that.

I was baptized in my mid teens about 6 months after I got saved. If I would not have been baptized, I would still go to heaven. However, I would be out of fellowship and my prayers would be hindered.

Does that make sense Wabigoon?
PM if you have more questions. You've had 3 tonight, so that's your limit. šŸ˜‰

Are you a preacher or seminary trained?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
7, but it didn't count because I wasn't a believer. About 25 the 2d time when I was...and that one counted.

ā€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.ā€
ā€• George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What the fugk are you guys talking about?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've been baptized twice....
- Once as a baby Catholic, didn't have a choice.
- Once as a 23-year-old when I made my own choice in a protestant church.

Meant a lot to me at 23, still means a lot at 71.

ā€œEven if youā€™re on the right track, youā€™ll get run over if you just sit there.ā€
--- Will Rogers
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Taking a bath with another dude standing in the tub.

šŸ˜Ž

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
ā€œMolon Labeā€
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I was nine and baptized in the Methodist Church (not the UMC).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
For those of you who have been baptized twice or more as adults, that is "choosing" to be baptized, I have a question or two.

How many times was Jesus baptized?

And, why the need to re-baptize?

The Church of Rome had the practice of sprinkling babies in the belief that their sacrament was necessary for the children's salvation.

There were millions if Christians throughout Europe that disagreed with the Roman Catholic religion. They were of the belief that the sacraments did not impart forgiveness or salvation. Long before the Protestant reformation they taught that adults must believe on the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved. Only afterwards was baptism to be used. Then baptism was only a step of obedience or expression of their faith. It did not impart eternal life or salvation.

Throughout the middle and dark ages there was much persecution of those churches that rebaptized the adults who departed from Roman Catholic dogma and tradition, practicing believers baptism.
Throughout most of church history Christians have suffered persecution over this issue.

The best book on the subject is Trail of Blood. It's now free. I'm having trouble with the link below. The address is correct for your copy. If you want it and can't find it, let me know. I'll try again later when I have time.

Blessings

https://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Books,%20Tracts%20&%20Preaching/Printed%20Books/trail_of_blood_jm_carroll.htm

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Happy Camper. Are you a pastor or seminary trained?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
I was twelve years old. My parents were busy, and just did attend church much for while . After my older brother died in an auto accident they stepped it up a lot.
Presbyterian Church, sprinkling.

Baptism is the first step of obedience to God AFTER choosing to get saved.

I was a baby who was not Biblically baptized.
There's no reason for babies to be baptized unless the denomination teaches that babies go to hell with out that ritual. The Bible does not teach that.

I was baptized in my mid teens about 6 months after I got saved. If I would not have been baptized, I would still go to heaven. However, I would be out of fellowship and my prayers would be hindered.

Does that make sense Wabigoon?
PM if you have more questions. You've had 3 tonight, so that's your limit. šŸ˜‰

Are you a preacher or seminary trained?

I taught what I posted as a teenager. I realized that someone's eternal destiny was more important than anything else in the world. This led me to study the Bible for myself and seek out the most biblically sound preachers that were within driving distance. After a time, I was offered a full scholarship to the best seminary I know of. I decided to turn it down due to a doctrinal difference.

I am a preacher as I believe that all of the Lord's disciples should be. My congregations are those who are handicapped, poor, and have nothing to give, but need Jesus.

Mark 16:15
"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature."

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I didnā€™t think so. Having studied The Trail of Blood Iā€™m concerned for you and all that you would point to that view. It is a book that was written to probe a foregone conclusion rather than one that looked to discover truth. If it were a valid treatise it would be widely used in training and education.

I appreciate your zeal but zeal is not evidence for or a substitute for knowledge. Not many should consider themselves to be teachers even if one desires that office. Have you studied anything in depth beyond American Fundamental Baptist doctrine?

Last edited by IZH27; 09/20/20.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I was 10,full immersion in a muddy small lake. Not perfect ,still after 53 yrs trying.

1st John 4:7-8
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I was baptized in the Catholic Church when I was just under a month old according to a certificate I have. I do not remember asking to be baptized or knowing the Lord God when it happened so therefore I do not believe I was truly ever baptized.

I am a Baptist, and I believe in the following, a person is baptized on the basis of his or her profession of faith in Jesus Christ and as admission into a local community of faith. Believer's baptism is often referred to as adult baptism due to the belief that faith cannot exist prior to the age of accountability. My true to me Baptism, was on September 23, 2006, at Lee Street Baptist Church, in Enterprise, Alabama, where I was fully immersed. Praise God!

Lynn

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

We are talking about being baptized. Some say it didnt take, some say its BS. But, for some, and I was one, it changed us from being like you.

As I said, it finally took on me after a few tries. It probly saved my life on earth, if it didnt save me forever.

From then on, in college and afterward, I studied the ring fingers of women in nightclubs before i took them home.

No longer did I live in fear.

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/20/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jaguartx

We are talking about being baptized. Some say it didnt take, some say its BS. But, for some, and I was one, it changed us from being like you.

As I said, it finally took on me after a few tries. It probly saved my life on earth, if it didnt save me forever.

From then on, in college and afterward, I studied the ring fingers of women in nightclubs before i took them home.

No longer did I live in fear.

Wow smile

Lynn

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn
I was baptized in the Catholic Church when I was just under a month old according to a certificate I have. I do not remember asking to be baptized or knowing the Lord God when it happened so therefore I do not believe I was truly ever baptized.

I am a Baptist, and I believe in the following, a person is baptized on the basis of his or her profession of faith in Jesus Christ and as admission into a local community of faith. Believer's baptism is often referred to as adult baptism due to the belief that faith cannot exist prior to the age of accountability. My true to me Baptism, was on September 23, 2006, at Lee Street Baptist Church, in Enterprise, Alabama, where I was fully immersed. Praise God!

Lynn

Miss Lynn
When you are babtized as a baby, isn't it called a christening. My wife was raised Catholic but can't remember the term. I was raised pentecostal, but we are now Nazerine.

MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ©
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
IZ, are you saying our Faith is false? Have I studied to disprove Christ? NO, have made a study, nor do intend to!

I need to rather study more on the True Faith.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was baptized at 18 months in the Methodist tradition (sprinkling babies) . It was 1 day shy of my folks 3rd Anniversary.

Mom got herself into some trouble, or so she thought. That next winter, we all moved into a new house. A few months later, the ladies from the Presbyterian church showed up wanting to visit. Mom let them in, and they talked for a good long while making chit-chat.

As she later recounted to my father that night:

"So we were talking nicely, and I mentioned that [our son] had been baptized at the Methodist church on Christmas Day by the same mininister that married on the day after. It was funny, because they just looked at each other and got up and left."

It was in that first telling that Mom realized what she'd said. Ooops.

She never got a visit from the Prebyterians after that. We joined the Presbys about 3 years later, and there were people that never treated us well.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
IZ, are you saying our Faith is false? Have I studied to disprove Christ? NO, have made a study, nor do intend to!

I need to rather study more on the True Faith.

Certainly not. I have no intention to imply that and donā€™t think that I did. I was raised in a church that didnā€™t preach the gospel. It preached a works based salvation. I was brought to faith there because I heard scripture. God sends out His Word and it accomplishes is what is sent for. I was not matured there in any way because it was impossible. Sound doctrine didnā€™t and still doesnā€™t exist in that denomination.

As I see it based on my experience and the study that Iā€™ve been driven to because of my upbringing we, as Americans Christians, have a lot of horrible doctrine to unlearn. It took some work and a bit of painful honesty to get there.

To your original question I was baptized at 8 in Sulfur Creek. Iā€™m thankful that it didnā€™t live up to its name in smell. At 38 I began to learn what my baptism and faith were all about. I believe that there is a mystery involved. Faith is a free gift. I certainly donā€™t deserve it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
shaman,
Some people seem to love their religion more than they love the people for whom the religion was given. Some people seem to place more importance on ā€˜the rulesā€™ and the creeds and the catechisms than on the people who are the supreme object of God's creation.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.