Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm planning a trip later this fall and was thinking of taking the barreled action out of the stock to be able to use a smaller case for travel and to be a bit more inconspicious. I have a torque screwdriver and of course will use that for reassemble. I have pillar bedded stocks and some that are not, not sure which rifle I will take at this point. If I go this route, I will experiment with point of impact at the range to see what happens with assembly and disassembly. Given the particular circumstances, I will not have an opportunity to test my rifle prior to the first morning of the hunt. Wondering what others experience may be with this?

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've done that many times, going to Africa. Since African rifles do not need to be MOA accurate, I wasn't concerned with slight changes in POI. If you're using a longer-range rifle, it would pay to try it at the range to see if there's a significant difference. I have a Pelican travel case to hold the rifle taken down, plus boots, binos, clothing etc I'd sell if interested.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Here is the way I do it - no need for a torque driver. A dab of nail polish, when reinstalling the barreled action align the action screws and it will be back to within a !/2" or closer.

drover

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, no need for a torque driver.

I have been taking the barreled action out of bolt-sction rifles for use in a take-down travel case for 30 years now, not just for Africa but Europe, and various places in North America from Mexico to Alaska and northern Canada. Thoroughly tested using a torque driver plus a plain old screwdriver way back when, and never could see a significant difference in POI--at least after the first shot. Many rifles will shoot to a SLIGHTLY different POI on the first shot after reassembly, but but after that shot put the next one (or a 3-shot group) right where they did back home.

I have also converted a lot of my rifles from Torx/hex action screws to plain old slot screws, because its a lot easier to find a plain old slot screwdriver if you Torx/hex driver somehow "goes missing." In fact at one point I was traveling so much with one particular rifle, a custom on a commercial FN Mauser action, that I ground the large screwdriver blade on the Swiss Army knife I always travel with to fit the action screws.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What John said has been my experimental experience, and drover has a great shortcut, at least if you're pillared and bedded.
If you have a quality rifle and are consistent with your re-assembly technique, you should be okay...although I would really have qualms about not being able to at least fire a three shot group before putting the crosshairs on meat.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Another one with experiences similar to those above, three long trips covering two rifles. Not a issue, never experienced enough of a shift in poi to be noticeable during sight check at 100 yards or shooting game out to near 300 yards.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I might add that a feature article on this subject (and other take-down stuff) will appear in SPORTS AFIELD in an upcoming issue. Just sent it in two weeks ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did it with 3 different rifles to AK and back. No problems. All synthetic stocks.

It might be more concern with a wooden stock and a major climate difference at the end.

Bruce

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I might add that a feature article on this subject (and other take-down stuff) will appear in SPORTS AFIELD in an upcoming issue. Just sent it in two weeks ago.

And JB talked me into doing it for a safari to Zimbabwe, and even lent me his case! It worked perfectly, no issues. Highly recommend.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The best benefit of using a takedown case is when the porters are stacking rifle cases to go to the police station (jo’berg) or security area your short case usually ends up on top. When 30 hunters are waiting to claim their rifles and your case is on the top of the stack, you just saved yourself an hour in line.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
^^^^^

Yep!

Plus a lot easier to fit into small planes and vehicles. In Europe smaller vehicles are the norm, and even if somewhat larger often have several people and all their luggage inside.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I'm glad to hear this; I've thought several times of suggesting this topic for a Rifle Loony News article, but never got around to doing it.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all for the information and feedback, I'm going to experiment a bit at the range and see what my "first shot" POI looks like, I appreciate the input!.
I'd really like to make this case work but I haven't taken exact measurements yet. "Pelican Vault V700 Takedown AR Rifle Case 36.5" Polymer Black".

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the information!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If a rifle is bedded and screw torqued properly, there will be very small POI if any

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This title should have said “remove stock”

It was a bit confusing

L
LJS Offline
L
Americase used to make a case for Kenny Jarrett takedowns that were simply the barreled action removed from the stock.. Reassemble when you arrive using a torque wrench. I had a 338 Jarrett that worked like a charm ..There was a storage area that stored two matching scopes. It was the most compact travel package I have ever seen. In recent years I bought a couple HS Precision takedowns for travel. They worked well but the HS case was a little heavy..

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have an SKB travel case that will take two double rifles/ three sets barrels. Wish they (SKB, Pelican) would make them a little shorter for 26” barrels.

I do have an early, 1913, made H&H 375 Belted Mag magazine rifle that is their original takedown whereby barrel and forend detach together. Before Holland’s changed to removing the barreled action. The rifle is handy and comes in original case which I wouldn’t subject to modern airline travel!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,932
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.