Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Our daughter posted this on her facebook page. After seeing some of McD's employees, it doesn't surprise me.

Hey you all. Math is important. I was at McDonald’s getting a Sweet Tea and my total was $1.08. So I handed the worker one quarter $.25, eight dimes $.10 and three pennies .01. In my book that adds up to $1.08.
But sadly her responses were not that. I kid you not these were her answers after about a minute of counting.
Me-everything good?
Her-ugh, ma’am you only gave me $.95
Me-what about the pennies?
Her-ummm (recounting), umm there is only $.93 cents
Me-May I see the money? (she hands me back my coins)
So I do what any smart person would do. I count the money in front of her.
Her-oh ummm, ok.
Listen people. Math matters.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Gawd dang.....hopefully no one was waiting behind her while she embarrassed that employee.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When was the last time someone actually counted back your change correctly?

For me, it was an elderly cashier with impeccable skills and obvious experience. Haven't seen anyone under 50 able to count change without a calculator.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Generally when ever I make a small purchase at a convenient store I will round up to 15 or 20 bucks with a fuel purchase. If they tell me the purchase is $6.11 I tell them to give me $8.89 on pump so and so. Sometimes they look at me confused until they put into the register. Then a lot of times they will look up and say Cool! Math Just amazes some folks!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Shaquanda the cashier ?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I get some sort of perverse joy out of giving them a five, and then the 8 cents after they rung up the sale and watch their head explode trying to figure out what to do.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
One of the racist agendas is forcing black kids to learn white men's math. They think that whites and blacks have different maths for some reason. Many thousands of black kids have dropped out of school rather than learn racist math.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Math always matters. Wish people would rely more on it.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I stopped at a feed store a while back to buy chicken feed. I paid with cash. She looked at my money for a minute then got on her I phone. She then gave me change that was in puzzling denominations.
Nicely, I asked her how she did it. She had used a search engine to do it. She showed me on her phone. The search engine came up with something like 7 ones 3 five and 3 10s for my change.

Her dad owned the feed store and it was a Saturday. I guess he just hoped she could pull it off

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Safeway cashier a while back, woman in her 20's, absolutely flummoxed over a 10% veteran's discount, finally had to drag out her purse and figure it on her phone. This despite myself and the guy behind me telling her what it amounted to. Sad. Probably had a high school diploma . Not a minority either.

s

[Linked Image]
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Dutch
I get some sort of perverse joy out of giving them a five, and then the 8 cents after they rung up the sale and watch their head explode trying to figure out what to do.....

Try giving them a couple $2 bills and a $1 coin instead of the $5 bill. The dont know where to put it in their tray.

Guy i used to work with said I was a "monetary terrorist"

Last edited by cv540; 09/20/20.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When we owned restaurants, we were shocked that our employees could not give proper change. So we had to purchase an automatic change dispenser hooked up to the register. $1,500, at the time, and worth every penny.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
"For those unable to count pennies, their destiny awaits emptying chamber pots."

John Adams, 1781

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
"For those unable to count pennies, their destiny awaits emptying chamber pots."

John Adams, 1781

Made that up... but he probably said it regardless.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

John Adams, 1781

Made that up... but he probably said it regardless.

Thats good

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Dess
When was the last time someone actually counted back your change correctly?

For me, it was an elderly cashier with impeccable skills and obvious experience. Haven't seen anyone under 50 able to count change without a calculator.

Go to a Quik Trip sometime. Only place I know of that requires employees to count back change. And they’re good as it. Have to be....QTs are busy places.

He went over yonder way
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
In these parts if you can do even rough figuring in your head, you count as a borderline genus.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm like some of you old fogies. I give some change to make it easier give me back whole dollars or I do it so I get rid of some pennies and nickels to get quarters back. Less jingling in the pocket that way. Confuses the majority of them.

I graduated from college a couple of decades + back. While there I tutored basic stats. Sometimes individual, but the school also gave me 5 hrs a week to hold drop in sessions. Very first thing in stats classes seemed to "the mean", then the standard deviation. Usually the very first drop in class was folks wanting to know how to do this (yes, some made it to college without knowing how to do "the mean". Some would get it when I said it's also sometimes called "the average".

I'd write a series of 8-10 numbers on the board, tell them to get me the mean. Then, as I was taught years ago I'd do it in my head and write the answer on the board, standing in front so the couldn't see it. They'd all be busy looking up at the numbers, down at their calculators, up for the next number, down at their calculators, then finally they'd get done and I'd step aside and let them see my answer and ask if they got the same. You could see the look of astonishment on some that I didn't need a calculator to do simple math.

Sometimes I'd ask if they could do long division and really throw them for a loop.

Last edited by Valsdad; 09/20/20.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm training a 15 year old young lady to do retail sales at the farm right now. Really tough stuff, fish is $2.50 a lb, we don't charge for the partials. She made herself a cheat sheet so she didn't have to break out the calculator.... I suppose props for initiative. Although it still throws her for a loop if they want $60 worth.... How much is that? Or when we're moving fish, and the fish are 9 to the pound, and we've moved 3,400 lbs, how many fish is that -- dear in the headlight looks, every time. And when you say 10% less than 34,000, that doesn't get them any closer.

Of course, I fired a guy once that lost 15,000 fingerlings, because he thought 1/4" screens were smaller than the 1/8th" screens I told him to put in........ So, I agree, math matters. But so do fractions.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good lord.

Well, after all , 4 IS smaller than 8, right?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 9 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,406
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.