Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Bears don't have restaurants or grocery stores, but they still have to eat.

BP-B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ironbender
It’s clear that bull has a hind end injury (leg? spine?) His rump drops with each step just before the bear catches up with him.

Here's a screen capture of the still shot at the start of the video. I added the red arrow to what looks like an odd protrusion from his left hind leg.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you watch the bull running in the water starting at about .15, he's limping.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you watch the bull running in the water starting at about .15, he's limping.

Yep.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All that horn didn't do him a bit of good.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by ironbender
It’s clear that bull has a hind end injury (leg? spine?) His rump drops with each step just before the bear catches up with him.

Here's a screen capture of the still shot at the start of the video. I added the red arrow to what looks like an odd protrusion from his left hind leg.

[Linked Image]

Compound fracture?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
All that horn didn't do him a bit of good.

Yeah, that was interesting. Could not get his head low enough to use antlers effectively.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That bull was injured by another bull before the grizz found him, he probably wouldn’t of made it too long with all the predators around. I saw a bull bison that had broken his lower rear leg in a fight with another bison last years august And within 2 days the wolves finished him off. Injured animals don’t last long out there.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
What a tough way to go.......just another day for Mother Nature!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Cool video. I’ve heard speculation that the elk had a broken or gimp leg prior to being pushed into the river. I really don’t know though.

Looked like it had a broken back leg from its crippled walk in the drink.

Still, another reason i choot bears. What if that woulda been someones broke leg kid out there.

smile

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/20/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I was tracking a bull elk track through a hemlock and fir forest on the Cascade elk hunt when I came across this bear. He had heard me cow calling and was waiting for me to step into view at 75 yards. Since I had a bear tag I whacked him. On my way over to where he was laying I nearly tripped over a buried 5x5 bull elk that this bear had killed, partially eaten, then buried. When I got to the bear I found he had a hole in his shoulder and one on his forehead, I assmed from the tussle with the bull elk. It was impressive.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My wife was in the park Friday the 18th and saw that bull dead along the river, with the bear above it in the background "waiting for traffic to clear." She obviously had just missed the entire drama.

Grizzlies are awesome, and the world would be a lesser place without them.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This reminds me why I don't mess with a Griz, unless I am packing my .50 Hawken.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Brad
Grizzlies are awesome, and the world would be a lesser place without them.

Absolutely.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
This reminds me why I don't mess with a Griz, unless I am packing my .50 Hawken.

I ran into a grizzly over labor day at 25 yards. She was a smart bear and did an admirable "out of the country" run after I let her know I was behind her. And I definitely was not packing a Hawken, unless Hawken happens to make bear spray. smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I was tracking a bull elk track through a hemlock and fir forest on the Cascade elk hunt when I came across this bear. He had heard me cow calling and was waiting for me to step into view at 75 yards. Since I had a bear tag I whacked him. On my way over to where he was laying I nearly tripped over a buried 5x5 bull elk that this bear had killed, partially eaten, then buried. When I got to the bear I found he had a hole in his shoulder and one on his forehead, I assmed from the tussle with the bull elk. It was impressive.

Good deal, but did it get to ride home in a yellow Avalanche?

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I was tracking a bull elk track through a hemlock and fir forest on the Cascade elk hunt when I came across this bear. He had heard me cow calling and was waiting for me to step into view at 75 yards.

You were almost a victim!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I was tracking a bull elk track through a hemlock and fir forest on the Cascade elk hunt when I came across this bear. He had heard me cow calling and was waiting for me to step into view at 75 yards.

You were almost a victim!!!

I'm thankful he was already full of elk meat! LOL.

For real though, this is the one that was waiting for me and could have gotten me if things had gone just a little differently. Buddy alerted me he was hunkered down waiting for me at the other end of a log.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/5EkszG0.jpg?1[/img]

Called this one in and he would have been glad to find me, but it went another direction.

Last edited by Fireball2; 09/20/20.

LOL
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Nice griz. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
That bull was injured by another bull before the grizz found him, he probably wouldn’t of made it too long with all the predators around. I saw a bull bison that had broken his lower rear leg in a fight with another bison last years august And within 2 days the wolves finished him off. Injured animals don’t last long out there.

Would be interested whether you know for sure if that's what happened?

I suggested on Facebook, after seeing the video there, that the elk could either have been injured in a fight with another bull (have seen that many times in Yellowstone this time of year) but since bulls tend to be pretty rut-dumb in late September, the bear may also have stalked and grabbed him, then gotten away just before the video.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 3,197 guests, and 1,462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.