Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Wages have not kept up with expectations/inflation.

I am MAGA.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
change has flumoxed people for decades. i used to work in a cafeteria in the 70's and we had grown women who could not figure out what to do when a customer handed them a 10 dollar bill and 3 pennies when the bill was $9.28.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When I was in high school in the mid 60's, they had an advanced math class that was required for graduation unless you took higher classes. It included some algebra and you couldn't graduate without knowing basic math. It's too bad that they apparently don't still do that.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Although....if you want to hire the lowest wage qualified people......you should open an exact change only establishment.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co][/quote]

*stolen from meme playground

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Wages have not kept up with expectations/inflation.

Neither has 'education'... They keep teaching to the bottom of the class and the Cream is left to rot and decay. BTDT and I have the stripes to match.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When I was a student, they had bonehead math for those who just couldn't. The other 95% had better or else.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I once spent days with pencil and paper deriving the capture range of a synchronization circuit.

Like digging a ditch with spoon.

MATHCAD had been invented 9 years earlier.

I should have used that.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Amish children know how to count change, and out of school at 14 years of age.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Dutch
I'm training a 15 year old young lady to do retail sales at the farm right now. Really tough stuff, fish is $2.50 a lb, we don't charge for the partials. She made herself a cheat sheet so she didn't have to break out the calculator.... I suppose props for initiative. Although it still throws her for a loop if they want $60 worth.... How much is that? Or when we're moving fish, and the fish are 9 to the pound, and we've moved 3,400 lbs, how many fish is that -- dear in the headlight looks, every time. And when you say 10% less than 34,000, that doesn't get them any closer.

Never not funny when someone makes fun of folks who can't figure out math, yet they can't figure out spelling.

Of course, I fired a guy once that lost 15,000 fingerlings, because he thought 1/4" screens were smaller than the 1/8th" screens I told him to put in........ So, I agree, math matters. But so do fractions.

Yeah, because fractions are different than math.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I'm training a 15 year old young lady to do retail sales at the farm right now. Really tough stuff, fish is $2.50 a lb, we don't charge for the partials. She made herself a cheat sheet so she didn't have to break out the calculator.... I suppose props for initiative. Although it still throws her for a loop if they want $60 worth.... How much is that? Or when we're moving fish, and the fish are 9 to the pound, and we've moved 3,400 lbs, how many fish is that -- dear in the headlight looks, every time. And when you say 10% less than 34,000, that doesn't get them any closer.

Never not funny when someone makes fun of folks who can't figure out math, yet they can't figure out spelling.

Of course, I fired a guy once that lost 15,000 fingerlings, because he thought 1/4" screens were smaller than the 1/8th" screens I told him to put in........ So, I agree, math matters. But so do fractions.

Yeah, because fractions are different than math.

His spelling is accurate, but the word is *incorrect* for the situation. A normal person would infer what he meant without elitism, which is faulty here specifically for the purpose that the written word is more difficult than spoken, and especially with similar spellings having different meanings in English, plus the fact that auto text correcting applications constantly get it wrong. I can't count how many times 'autocorrect' has created errors grammatically for me when attempting to fix my spelling. The fact that you went out of the way to create an entire post about a 'misspelled' word based on a single character speaks volumes about your lack of conceptualization, and more on your own lack of mental cohesiveness.

Your attempt at sarcasm to delineate that fractions ARE math fails upon your own feet again because of the fact that few 'adults' today understand that large numbers in the denominator actually create a lower quantity, and that is obviously lost on you. Please continue on your self righteous path, as it's humorous to those of us whom aren't as basic as you.

Besides if you were really a super smart person about grammar instead of wannabe C(_)/\/T you wouldn't have used a double negative to start your post... an Engineer should know better than to 'through' stones in a glass house.

BTW: I always got Cs in 'Language Arts' because the curriculum was boring, not because I was 'stoopid'. YMMV

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I get some sort of perverse joy out of giving them a five, and then the 8 cents after they rung up the sale and watch their head explode trying to figure out what to do.....

Prick of a thing to do to someone that is on the tail end of a ten hour shift.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Back when my boys were young and riding in the car seat behind me, we did math.

The deer in the field eat 3 apples a day. How many apples do two deer eat in 3 days.

Later on, buck deer eat four apples per day and does eat two.

Later on the math got more complicated, but it always involved deer, apples, days, weeks, months and the occasional random wolf that would kill a deer on the 12th day of the month.

Both of my boys are pretty good with math.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ha! Cash, you reminded me, our first born, she likes tha over oldest, some they were teaching "Times", in school.

Like you I drilled her on multiplication tables. Turns out it was clock times. By the time she got to math she'd forgotten it all. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Back when my boys were young and riding in the car seat behind me, we did math.

The deer in the field eat 3 apples a day. How many apples do two deer eat in 3 days.

Later on, buck deer eat four apples per day and does eat two.

Later on the math got more complicated, but it always involved deer, apples, days, weeks, months and the occasional random wolf that would kill a deer on the 12th day of the month.

Both of my boys are pretty good with math.

There are 12 deer in the field.

7 of the deer does.

Buck deer eat four apples per day.

Doe deer eat two apples per day.

A mean wolf kills a doe deer on Tuesday morning before her breakfast.

How many apples do the deer eat in a 7-Day week?

My youngest son was doing this in his head in second grade. It might have taken him 10 minutes to think out the answer, but back then he always got it right.

-------------------

He is 15 now and going through "Dad's Driving School".

Changing a flat tire at night without lights in a thunderstorm is part of the Core curriculum.

My oldest son is 25. He has never had an accident. He has never had a ticket. He checks his tire pressure and his tires for even wear every week. To quote my oldest son "Fugh Dad's Driving School."

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago, my 2 sons were both pretty good at math in grade school. When the youngest was in maybe the 3d grade, he said something about numbers couldn't be less than 0. I tried to explain the concept of negative numbers using sea level as an example. So what happens? Only a few days later, his teacher said something about 0 being the smallest number. Jr waved his hand and told the teacher all about negative numbers and sea level. She got a shock with that one. I wish I'd been there to hear it. The teacher was a personal friend of my wife. She called and asked where in the world a 3d grader would learn about negative numbers.

― George Orwell

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The simple math, not so hard. Advanced algebra, I'm not so smart.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Gawd dang.....hopefully no one was waiting behind her while she embarrassed that employee.

Had to happen...The McD worker wasn’t gonna give her the drink for .93 cents. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

What percentage of fractions are not math? Express your answer as a ratio.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It always seemed to me that both the cashier and the customer should be smart enough that the cashier could say, "Your bill was $4.71. You gave me a five. Your change is 29 cents, " at which point he/she would hand the customer a quarter and four pennies, and they would both, as I said, be smart enough to see that it was correct. I never could understand this fanatical obsession with having change "counted back".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.