Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Miss_Lynn
I was baptized in the Catholic Church when I was just under a month old according to a certificate I have. I do not remember asking to be baptized or knowing the Lord God when it happened so therefore I do not believe I was truly ever baptized.

I am a Baptist, and I believe in the following, a person is baptized on the basis of his or her profession of faith in Jesus Christ and as admission into a local community of faith. Believer's baptism is often referred to as adult baptism due to the belief that faith cannot exist prior to the age of accountability. My true to me Baptism, was on September 23, 2006, at Lee Street Baptist Church, in Enterprise, Alabama, where I was fully immersed. Praise God!

Lynn

Nice dance around on the question, but how old were you? whistle grin GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Miss Lynn must have been rather young, she still can't be a day over twenty-nine. wink

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by shaman
I was baptized at 18 months in the Methodist tradition (sprinkling babies) . It was 1 day shy of my folks 3rd Anniversary.

Mom got herself into some trouble, or so she thought. That next winter, we all moved into a new house. A few months later, the ladies from the Presbyterian church showed up wanting to visit. Mom let them in, and they talked for a good long while making chit-chat.

As she later recounted to my father that night:

"So we were talking nicely, and I mentioned that [our son] had been baptized at the Methodist church on Christmas Day by the same mininister that married on the day after. It was funny, because they just looked at each other and got up and left."

It was in that first telling that Mom realized what she'd said. Ooops.

She never got a visit from the Prebyterians after that. We joined the Presbys about 3 years later, and there were people that never treated us well.

Sounds like the nice church ladies were a little judgmental.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by deflave
What the fugk are you guys talking about?

We are talking about being baptized. Some say it didnt take, some say its BS. But, for some, and I was one, it changed us from being like you.

As I said, it finally took on me after a few tries. It probly saved my life on earth, if it didnt save me forever.

From then on, in college and afterward, I studied the ring fingers of women in nightclubs before i took them home.

No longer did I live in fear.

I still have no clue what you’re talking about but you sound like a f a g.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Hahaha. Tff. If they showed a ring mark on the left hand third finger I didnt take them home from the nightclub. Duh.

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/20/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
What the fugk are you guys talking about?

We are talking about being baptized. Some say it didnt take, some say its BS. But, for some, and I was one, it changed us from being like you.

As I said, it finally took on me after a few tries. It probly saved my life on earth, if it didnt save me forever.

From then on, in college and afterward, I studied the ring fingers of women in nightclubs before i took them home.

No longer did I live in fear.

I still have no clue what you’re talking about but you sound like a f a g.

Did you have a good birthday? Your ol lady slide you $50 bucks to go out and party?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Texczech
I was baptized in the Catholic Church when I was just under a month old according to a certificate I have. I do not remember asking to be baptized or knowing the Lord God when it happened so therefore I do not believe I was truly ever baptized.

I am a Baptist, and I believe in the following, a person is baptized on the basis of his or her profession of faith in Jesus Christ and as admission into a local community of faith. Believer's baptism is often referred to as adult baptism due to the belief that faith cannot exist prior to the age of accountability. My true to me Baptism, was on September 23, 2006, at Lee Street Baptist Church, in Enterprise, Alabama, where I was fully immersed. Praise God!

Lynn

Miss Lynn

When you are babtized as a baby, isn't it called a christening. My wife was raised Catholic but can't remember the term. I was raised pentecostal, but we are now Nazerine.

Texczech,

Apparently I was "Baptised" as I was without a name until the moment the Baptism happened and God accepted my given name and me into his realm. The certificate I have says "Baptism". Truth is the Catholic Church has some odd ways about them, and as I got older I began to see things that made no sense to me according to the Bible, and were actually contrary to God's teachings. After my questioning started I drifted from God.

It is quoted that "Christening refers to the naming ceremony (to "christen" means to "give a name to") where as baptism is one of seven sacraments in the Catholic Church. In the sacrament of Baptism the baby's name is used and mentioned, however it is the rite of claiming the child for Christ and his Church that is celebrated."

So, in the Catholic Church both cermonies are a part of the "WHOLE" act of the child being given to God, but only after the parents, and the godparents who are all asked if they will allow for the name and the subsequent baptising of the child into the Holy Roman Catholic Church.

Excuse me for being longwinded in my explanation.

Lynn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10 then 57

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Texczech

Lynn

Miss Lynn

When you are babtized as a baby, isn't it called a christening. My wife was raised Catholic but can't remember the term. I was raised pentecostal, but we are now Nazerine.

Texczech,

Apparently I was "Baptised" as I was without a name until the moment the Baptism happened and God accepted my given name and me into his realm. The certificate I have says "Baptism". Truth is the Catholic Church has some odd ways about them, and as I got older I began to see things that made no sense to me according to the Bible, and were actually contrary to God's teachings. After my questioning started I drifted from God.

It is quoted that "Christening refers to the naming ceremony (to "christen" means to "give a name to") where as baptism is one of seven sacraments in the Catholic Church. In the sacrament of Baptism the baby's name is used and mentioned, however it is the rite of claiming the child for Christ and his Church that is celebrated."

So, in the Catholic Church both cermonies are a part of the "WHOLE" act of the child being given to God, but only after the parents, and the godparents who are all asked if they will allow for the name and the subsequent baptising of the child into the Holy Roman Catholic Church.

Excuse me for being longwinded in my explanation.

Lynn

Miss Lynn
Thank you for the answer. Not long-winded at all. I think you explained it well. Definitely something I didn't know. I don't have any problem with the Catholic Church, I just don't see the need for all the rituals for me. Personally I believe all the different denominations give us all a place to be comfortable with. Hope you have a good day.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by oldtimer303

Lynn

I was 45 years old.

Lynn

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I said 10 and 57. I was raised a Baptist at first in a church even at that young age I thought controlling. Sermons about the evils of being Catholic and how they worshiped idols and were all going to hell. To the depth that I didn't realize until I was 27 and was told my father sexually molested and raped my sister. My mom told me that the pastor said, in frustration as I take it, " Maybe your daughter is just a whore." That church eventually folded and we went to a very large non-denominational church. Too big, too impersonal.

When I started following Christ, as I try but am not very good at, I asked myself if when I was Baptized did I do it because I wanted it or because I was expected to. Given my childhood I believe it was because I was expected to.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Hey Free, any start is a good start!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Lynn

I was 45 years old.

Lynn

Appears that at 64 years of age I am one of the oldest here to be baptized. Not proud that it took so long. But pleased to be a Christian. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Baptized in liquor before I could drive. Had a bit of a drinking problem by the time I graduated H./S. Baptized by fire at 19. Baptized in water in my late 20's or so. Why is it so interesting? How old were you when you watched the first human die? Did it affect your view of life & death? Did it make you want to get baptized?

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IZH27
I didn’t think so. Having studied The Trail of Blood I’m concerned for you and all that you would point to that view. It is a book that was written to probe a foregone conclusion rather than one that looked to discover truth. If it were a valid treatise it would be widely used in training and education.

I appreciate your zeal but zeal is not evidence for or a substitute for knowledge. Not many should consider themselves to be teachers even if one desires that office. Have you studied anything in depth beyond American Fundamental Baptist doctrine?

IZH27,

It doesn't matter what my credentials are. I'm not applying for a job. Your criticism for not attending a seminary of your respect is understandable. Many criticized Jesus and His disciples for not submitting to their own masters. I didn't see a good reason to go to the dead seminary professors to ask for instructions for the living. I would not go to a vegan and ask her how to hunt and process game either.
My purpose is to lead the lost to the Savior.
My purpose is to bless my brothers with that which my Lord has blessed me. One of my brothers had a question and I answered it. Another man asked about baptism and he received a very thorough answer.

My library contains multiple shelves on various religions; more than required by a couple of comparitive religion classes in some Saducees Ivy League seminary. Out of the many books on Catholicism written by former Catholic priests, and by Protestants, I chose one written for the average guy. The book is concise, interesting, and is condensed from the books that survived the dark ages. The rare information contained therein predates the Protestant reformation and survived the Muslim and Catholic library burnings. It will not appeal to those who view baptism as a sacrament necessary for salvation. I won't either, because I teach what the Lord has taught me; that salvation is by faith alone in Him alone, apart from any works.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 09/21/20. Reason: Punctuation
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
My questions are simply questions. You present yourself as learned yet it is fairly evident that your exposure is narrow and biased. There is a vast difference in sharing the good news and teaching. All are called to share the good news of Christ if they are believers. Few are called to preach and teach. That is where the danger of false teaching has entered the church throughout the ages.

Every man who calls himself a preacher/teacher claims that God taught him. Many divergent and incompatible views of Christianity as a religion and doctrine and practice supposedly do exist because of this. If the claim of being taught by God is true then why have a library of books from which to learn and why does God teach different men different and conflicting things?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Baptized/christened as an infant in Presbyterian Church, which I later joined at age 13. Although I have not attended a Presbyterian Church for over 40 years and have worshipped at a Baptist church for over 20 years, I have not become a member there because I am not convinced that there is a biblical mandate to be baptized with water, at least not since the days of John. I don't see where any of the apostles were baptized with water; Jesus baptized them, and baptizes us, with the Holy Spirit. I have come to believe that water baptism is a doctrine of man, not a commandment of God. I am glad my salvation does not depend on whether I'm right or not.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Lynn

I was 45 years old.

Lynn

Appears that at 64 years of age I am one of the oldest here to be baptized. Not proud that it took so long. But pleased to be a Christian. GW

oldtimer303,

The saving Grace is you are a Christian now, and that is what counts. We all do things in our own time, and besides that God knew when you were coming to him, and he was content to wait, because he wanted you at your most hungry for Him and his Blessings.

Don't forget there are some things in life that are just that little bit sweeter when it has aged a bit :-)

God Bless you,

Lynn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Erasmus of Rotterdam was learned. Paul the Apostle was learned. I'm not learned. I must study daily just so that I can continue to learn what was lost. I don't expect anyone to believe me, but I trust the Holy Spirit to reveal what I study from His Word.

"Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual."
I Corinthians 2:13

I believe that He does this with other believers who study His Word as well. However, If any come to me with a different gospel or a fundamental doctrine contrary to Scripture, I reject it regardless of who they say taught them. For instance, the Morman elders told me that God gave Joseph Smith another revelation and another testament of His Word. Their confirmation of this is a burning in their bosom. I rejected that, however, I tried to teach them about the true God and true Jesus out of compassion, for their destiny is not with Him. They also lead many to the wide path that leads to destruction.

You are incorrect about my exposure being narrow. I have been raised Roman Catholic, trained for years in the religion of Darwinism, taught by Hindus who trained as disciples of the maharishi mahesh yogi, experienced a few years of work in the metaphysical disciplines of Taoism and the New Age movement. I've spent unknown hours in the assemblies of many Protestant faiths. Looking back at the past, I consider it as time and experiences flushed down the toilet.
Those differing views were anything but narrow.
I love many people in all of those traditions and count some as friends. However, I reject that which is contrary to Biblical revelation.

I do in fact have very narrow and biased views of spiritual matters. It gets more narrow as this time in my mortal body approaches the end. God's way is narrow. He addressed the religious leaders with complete bias and straight as an arrow.

John 10
https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/John-Chapter-10/

I wish to be like my Friend.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 09/21/20. Reason: Grammer
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Infant baptized orthodox Lutheran. Since we believe faith is a gift of God, as is baptism (conveyed by water and the Word), it can be received at any time.

Still very happy with that.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

586 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,017
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.