Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Why have a mini 14 when you can have a AR-15? The only reason I can come up with is that you already bought the koolaid like I did. A mini 14 works but a bolt action 223 is a lot better truck gun, and a AR-15 is a lot better self-defense weapon. All guns are good, some are just better than others.

Life is good live it while you can.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I have long owned a Ruger GB Mini-14, 182 series, Shoots just fine for me. 'Course, I'm not looking for cloverleaf groups: 1½" groups are okay by me. If that won't do, I'll just have to "Spray & Pray." grinL.W.

Nothing wrong with the accuracy of modern Mini-14s. Different animal from the 1970s and 1980s models.

Why suffer the Mini 14 compromises in ergonomics, reliability, and suppressor use when compared to the AR-15?

From a practical standpoint none. From a collectible standpoint and when you already have a dozen or so AR’s it’s a cool niche gun to own.

Collecting is not my thing but I can see if that's your jam it is a neat niche rifle.

It would almost be more interesting as a 5 MOA rifle.

To each their own. grin

It's not an either/or proposition. I have and prefer an AR, but when you can get a brand new one for $399, as a rifle nut, you are duty bound to buy it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a mini-14 because I wanted a mini-14. I don't bash them because I believe they are a well made design.

I also have ARs and FALs

The mini-14 is pretty straight forward and easy to use, highly reliable from my standpoint. I didn't buy it to pick off prairie dogs at 200 yards, Its a Kyle Rittenhouse weapon for me.

Last edited by KFWA; 09/21/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
$1200 for a Mini 14 is not so unreasonable as it looks, all things considered. My old 188 series Ranch Rifle is not leaving the barn though. I think highly of it. Good trigger, accurate, dead nuts reliable, is not particular about ammo.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The newer Mini's are much more accurate than the earlier ones. I know a fellow who's quit using his AR , and started using his Mini-14 as his truck gun, because his Mini was a better shooter.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KFWA
I have a mini-14 because I wanted a mini-14. I don't bash them because I believe they are a well made design.

I also have ARs and FALs

The mini-14 is pretty straight forward and easy to use, highly reliable from my standpoint. I didn't buy it to pick off prairie dogs at 200 yards, Its a Kyle Rittenhouse weapon for me.

It's a "KR-14" !!!

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have two. One has been stellar for reliability, and is accurate enough to be worth keeping. One is a ss folder I got for free and don't think I've ever shot. Neither an AR nor a Mini are hard to teach someone to shoot. My children are proof, and they've used both on quite a few coyotes.

As to the truck gun comment it's pointless. A truck gun can be about anything for many different reasons depending on situation, expected uses, range to target, season, etc. I've used a mini, AR's, .22-250's, and bigger bores, some with short barrels and some not. Favorite right now is an AR pistol.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Originally Posted by KFWA

I also have ARs and FALs

It's a "KR-14" !!!

we should all call it that from now on and see if we can get Joe Biden to try to bring it up during a debate

"we don't need no KR-14's in the hands of yutes"

Last edited by KFWA; 09/21/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shaman
Scoff if you like, but I at least know one fellow that would disagree with y'all.

There is a fellow that we know. I'm forgetting the exact details here. However, he served in some form of Special Forces in Vietnam, Panama and Grenada. In Nam, his group actually preferred Mini-14 over the M-16. He said they found them easier to operate and more reliable. The accuracy issues were not a problem; it was fine for the close ranges they encountered.

I never got the full skinny on what he did in Vietnam. However, I do know he caught a bayonet in Grenada and manage to return the favor to the Cuban that was on the other end. The vet guys in our group agree he is the real deal. He keeps a poodle as a service dog, and is squirrelly from serious PTSD.

We own 2 stainless Mini-14, of early 2000's vintage. One is scoped the other is not. At 100 yards and under, we get good accuracy out of both. This was before the design changes. #2 son acquired a Min-30 a while back and was ringing a gong at 200 yards on his first attempt with cheap ammo. I honestly don't see why all the hate.

I'm a relatively new AR owner. I acquired one over the winter. I can see pros and cons to both. As a guy who is used to hunting rifles and an M1 Garand, the Mini-14 is a bit more comfortable to hold and operate. I like them both. KYHillChick loves her Stainless Ranch. It's her favorite.
His group must be time-travelers then because the Mini didn't come out until 1973, which was the last year of the Vietnam War.

You may be thinking of the M-14 which was used extensively in the early days of the conflict. The Mini is designed from the M-14 but is significantly smaller.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by viking
https://youtu.be/xqNbDfOJX6c

I will leave this here.

If that guy had been shooting one of the old A2HBs I doubt that it would have been much of a contest. The A2HB that I had was very accurate.

So only none guy watched it.

To be fair Bristoe, they were both older models. An A2HB would have to pitted against the newer Mini 14 or that target model they made a few years ago.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by 100grNP
Stock ranch rifle stainless synthetic sell for 1,225.00 on gunbroker.

Dang, just bought a used 580 series last week for $350. Put a red dot on it and it will do 2" @100 with my old eyes using federal fmj ammo

viking was right...a lot of bullchitten going on here

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://youtu.be/xqNbDfOJX6c

I will leave this here.

If that guy had been shooting one of the old A2HBs I doubt that it would have been much of a contest. The A2HB that I had was very accurate.

So only none guy watched it.

To be fair Bristoe, they were both older models. An A2HB would have to pitted against the newer Mini 14 or that target model they made a few years ago.

I have never seen him before. I like his style.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The newer Mini's are much more accurate than the earlier ones. I know a fellow who's quit using his AR , and started using his Mini-14 as his truck gun, because his Mini was a better shooter.
This is true. I have witnessed two of the new mini's repeatedly shooting 1- 1.5" groups at 100 yards. Some folks choose mini's because they look more like a rifle than an erector set shooting contraption. AR's are uglier than a hat full of ass holes.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Some mini 14’s are hideous, I know I had one in the late 80’s. It was the Ranch rifle.

But the newer ones are a huge improvement. For urban/conflicts it’s more than capable. 0-150 yards etc etc.

The stone cold rifleman here think they are going to sling up, settle in and concentrate on breathing when chit hits the fan. Oh yeah right before they fill their 7 day pill organizer and adjust their suspenders.😂. Honyockers.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Some mini 14’s are hideous, I know I had one in the late 80’s. It was the Ranch rifle.

But the newer ones are a huge improvement. For urban/conflicts it’s more than capable. 0-150 yards etc etc.

The stone cold rifleman here think they are going to sling up, settle in and concentrate on breathing when chit hits the fan. Oh yeah right before they fill their 7 day pill organizer and adjust their suspenders.😂. Honyockers.

LOL also their target will stand still in the open holding a wind flag and even allow the guy to set up a portable bench to shoot at him

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had one back in the eighties that was inaccurate and happily sold it.

Thought about getting a newer, more accurate one in the intervening years, until I noticed out of he corner of my eye that it was a standard issue item to French police as a long arm, That ended that little quest.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought two years ago, one wouldn't shoot for beans, the other shot quite well. I sold one of them! Love that action though!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Viking, I haven't heard anyone call someone a "Honyock" in a long time.
Made me chuckle....... grin

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Bill Ruger laid a major egg when he didn't design the mini-14 to accept AR magazines.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Bill Ruger laid a major egg when he didn't design the mini-14 to accept AR magazines.

He wanted the mags to rock in like those on the M-14, the design it was intended to mimic. AR mags insert straight up.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,791 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.