Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yes, I know the alloy. It's a very common one that hardens and tempers easily. Since the only part of a Mauser receiver that needs to be even partially hardened is the rear of the receiver ring where the bolt lugs engage, it's not particularly difficult to do. Even if those lugs aren't perfect, how many thousands of rounds being fired would it take to make a measurable difference in headspace? Annealing and re-hardening an 03 receiver that's harder than woodpecker lips all over is a different kettle of fish entirely, and is something that I won't attempt.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by bluefish
I've been looking for, and buying these actions, when the right ones come along. This weekend, at a hardware store, found one with crest intact and all marking including matching numbers throughout for stupid cheap money. Guy at the counter said it was "just an old Mauser". Yup, pack 'er up, pal. I think they're nice actions and keep squirrelling them away for value and family. I have a 1908 Brazilian in the closet which I may be willing to get rid of should anyone want it. Crest intact there as well if it matters to someone.

You are going to kill or injure someone with your BS..

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
One of the other big questions is concern of lug setback. How does one examine for it?

An easy, though not entirely foolproof way, is to stick a steel rod down the barrel until it contacts the bolt face. Now put the end of the rod up against something solid like a wall and press on it putting pressure on the bolt. Work the bolt. If there is fairly significant set back, you might actually feel it when you work the bolt. If it’s pretty minor, you might not so it isn’t foolproof. The only way to know beyond a doubt is to pull the barrel.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Hubert
I've been looking for, and buying these actions, when the right ones come along. This weekend, at a hardware store, found one with crest intact and all marking including matching numbers throughout for stupid cheap money. Guy at the counter said it was "just an old Mauser". Yup, pack 'er up, pal. I think they're nice actions and keep squirrelling them away for value and family. I have a 1908 Brazilian in the closet which I may be willing to get rid of should anyone want it. Crest intact there as well if it matters to someone.

How so?

Are you saying that squirreling away old Mausers is BS?

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I was wondering the same thing. Day drinking?

The way life should be.
IC B2

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Yes, I know the alloy. It's a very common one that hardens and tempers easily. Since the only part of a Mauser receiver that needs to be even partially hardened is the rear of the receiver ring where the bolt lugs engage, it's not particularly difficult to do. Even if those lugs aren't perfect, how many thousands of rounds being fired would it take to make a measurable difference in headspace? Annealing and re-hardening an 03 receiver that's harder than woodpecker lips all over is a different kettle of fish entirely, and is something that I won't attempt.

Lol, how many rounds does it take to get to the tootsie roll center...... Lol

Answer is, not near as many as you think. Tom Burgess once showed me what appeared to be an unissued Argentine 1909 that had setback. Presumably the only round(s) through it were the proof rounds.

So, if your Mauser receiver is soft, how you gonna bring it up to snuff?

I'd be really interested in this very common alloy that hardens easily, especially since it is well known that military Mausers were made of a low carbon allow and that they were case hardened. You don't just toss a Mauser receiver in an oven and it magically hardens. You need to introduce carbon into the surface metal to get it to harden.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by efw

How so?

If you don't know. nothing I can say will make you see the light.. Have at it.. but make sure I don't get any of your crap.. Thanks.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
If you don't know. nothing I can say will make you see the light.. Have at it.. but make sure I don't get any of your crap.. Thanks.

Genuinely interested in what ya got to say but ok.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by efw

How so?

Lemme get this right: you make a comment and when a few of us ask for clarification you then get defensive and bluster. Ah, ok. Carry on. I won't even dare bring up the 9.3mm smooth-as-a-polished-ruby Husqvarna 146s I drool over in the gun closet every once in a while.

The way life should be.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by efw

Genuinely interested in what ya got to say but ok.

Checked post history and I take it back; ya got nothing to say worth hearing.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by efw

How so?

I could be wrong but it would appear the man quoted the wrong post and was targeting Hotrod_Lincoln's post about stuffing around heating old mauser actions in a hobby kiln.

If that is the case then I agree with the man.

Not sure how Bluefish got mixed up it it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Well he ain't come round to splain it neither.

The way life should be.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Took the FN that I rebarreled to 264 WM to the range for the first time today. Was quite pleased. I fired the three clustered together at 7 o'clock with it. So, you could say I like Mausers too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blanchard Metal Processing in Salt Lake City has done all the actions that I've had HT'd & they were recommended to me back in the '80's by Ludwig Olsen...............they are still a high caliber heat treater & know how to HT low carbon steel.

Today, given the cost of building a military action, putting decent safeties & bottom metal on, a good bolt handle & HT'd, unless you just love to do the work, IMO, it's way better to find a good commercial action or cheap rifle as a donor, polish it up, add a safety of choice, a trigger & you are good to go with a far superior action than any military grade version with no fears about long term performance.

Just my current view of the world............& I still have a couple of virgin 1909's & several VZ-24's that will likely never be built into new rifles as the pain, cost & time is just not worth the gain to me.

YMMV

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are there other actions with the same dimensions as the 1909?

I have a nice stock done by Pachmayr in the old days set up for the 1909 and would like to know my options.

Seem to be the place of 1909 Gurus

Thank you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was recently a post about nitriding and how it hardens the surface. Apparently to a point it was recommended to complete any machining beforehand.

Is the hardness introduced comparable to heat treating? Sufficient to prevent set back in an older military Mauser of unknown hardness?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

I have a nice stock done by Pachmayr in the old days set up for the 1909 and would like to know my options.

Thank you.

All standard length 98 actions like the 1909 Argie, share the same basic footprint.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner
There was recently a post about nitriding and how it hardens the surface. Apparently to a point it was recommended to complete any machining beforehand.

Is the hardness introduced comparable to heat treating? Sufficient to prevent set back in an older military Mauser of unknown hardness?

They are not heat treated,1909s,they are case hardened. I don't think the steel can be heat treated. I think Melonite QPQ would be great on any 98.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by z1r

Thank you.

All standard length 98 actions like the 1909 Argie, share the same basic footprint.

Thank you very much. Never had a rifle built before.

Opens up many more options.

Now I’ll have more looking to do to find a very good mauser action.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by z1r

Thank you.

The 1903 Siameese 98 Mauser has different dimentions in the action . I bought what I thought was a nice trigger guard and it was half an inch too short . when I took it back to the gye , he told me what it was.

Never heard of any 98 Mauser that needed any kind of heat treatment whatsoever.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,588 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,238
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.