Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15243719 09/21/20
C
cwill Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
The Zeiss V4 has been around long enough now. What’s the verdict? Has anyone had any problems? Dialing,RTZ, zero shift?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine works very nicely. On my 6.5 bee currently 4-16

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I static tested a 3-12. Yesterday actually, It doesn’t have a turret and has capped adjustments so it’s not even a dialing scope. RTZ was excellent and spot on. It had about 1% tracking error through 20moa. Ie about 1 click. Which also might be a bit of parallax induced. It’s not got parallax adjustment. Reticle matched perfectly. I also noticed no shift in reticle through its adjustment range. The 4-16 i tested which does have a turret and parallax adjustment tested perfect. These scopes appear excellent and certainly better than or equal to the Japanese built vortex scopes.

Glass is excellent very very good. Jury is out on how durable they are and recoil wise. I have shot the 4-16. Maybe 150 rounds and used it for some shots out to 600 ish. If I proved the scopes durable enough I would sell a couple of nxs nightforce scopes and replace with v4’s and pocket the cash.

Another option huskemaw. Glass not quite as good as the v4 but better tha, elite 4200, and nightforce nxs

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
It had about 1% tracking error

Seriously?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
It had about 1% tracking error

Seriously?

uh YES. the scope is not a dialing scope, its got capped turrets, 1% is better than half the SWFA SS scopes I have tested, its about equal to a 10x bushnell elite I tested, The scope is repeatable and returns to zero every time. There is NO WAY and I mean no way in practical use this amount of error would be detectable given the scope will never be used cranking its turrets for long range. the capped turrets aren't even marked for the 20 MOA I tested them. to give you an idea of how small of an error this is 20 MOA is about what it takes to shoot to 1000 yards give or take on the combo. about 1/4moa This is one click of error. for what its worth 20 fps of speed difference in your chronograph vs actual will create twice that amount of deviation.

1% of error I am fine with. 2% or more is no bueno. but even those are standards I hold to scopes I intend to dial long range with. They have a turret that is designed for external adjustment. not for sight in like this 3-12 is. The 4-16 v4 which is designed for dialing had spot on tracking with NO error. either way I have complete confidence in these v4's until proven wrong, buy without worries.

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I’m a set and forget man. I have a V4 3X12X56 with a lit reticle. I generally hunt in SC which has a 1 hour before and 1 hour after legal hours. Mine is flawless

C
cwill Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for the replies. I am considering one of these on my hunting rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a 3-12x44 I like a lot. Also have 2 Conquest DL’s in which was the direct predecessor of the V4 on 2 of my favorite rifles and I really like them as well. None have exposed turrets as I am mostly a set and firgetmkind of guy. 1 is illuminated 1 is not. I’m currently contemplating a V4 in 3-12x56 for a rifle I am currently in need of a scope for. You won’t go wrong with them, especially if you can get a deal on one from RedHawk rifles.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have one in 4-16 and just starting to play with it but what little I have played with it (out to 400 yards) it has been spot on. Every time I moved the dial, it has moved.....
Mine has dial elev. and capped windage

Last edited by pullit; 09/22/20.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pullit
I have one in 4-16 and just starting to play with it but what little I have played with it (out to 400 yards) it has been spot on. Every time I moved the dial, it has moved.....
Mine has dial elev. and capped windage

mine just like that has tracked like a nightforce, durability probably isn't the same but for a hunting rifle, I suspect it will work great. you guys will be the first to know if I have issues with either one of my v4's

IC B3

R
Roc Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
The only problem I have had with them is the Eyepiece focus moves a little to easy.When still hunting it almost always moves a little.Not enough to make any difference though.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've seen some pretty good prices on these lately. If you have/had one, would you rank them Meopro/Conquest level or a bit higher?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Meopro and would rate it higher (to my eyes) ymmv

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Roc
The only problem I have had with them is the Eyepiece focus moves a little to easy.When still hunting it almost always moves a little.Not enough to make any difference though.

just put some electrical tape on that.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I just got in a 4-16x44/#60 today. It's my fourth V4, and I have zero legitimate complaints. The others were the 3-12x56/#60 model, and the only reason I moved those three on is that deals cropped up for some Docter glass.

For me, these scopes have held zero and been precise in their adjustments. Plus, the V4 handles stray light better than some scopes costing significantly more.

The only thing that bothers me with the V4 line is cosmetic -- and that would be the finish. It's relatively soft (though not as sensitive as what Burris, Leupold and Trijicon use). But I can overlook that when I consider the performance-to-dollar ratio of this line of scopes.

For my own applications, there is nothing out there at this price point that out-performs the V4.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek

For my own applications, there is nothing out there at this price point that out-performs the V4.

That is quite the endorsement Bobby. I need to take another look at these ...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by pullit
I have a Meopro and would rate it higher (to my eyes) ymmv

I'll have to disagree. I've checked them out thoroughly, and the MeoPro line -- while truly nice -- does not quite match up with the V4 in most comparison categories. The contrast levels Meopta uses in the MeoPro line do translate into a vivid daylight image that is pleasing to the eye -- moreso than scopes that use a more neutral contrast approach -- and that has caused some folks to render a "better than" verdict versus other brands. But while that sort of image is nice to look at, that alone doesn't always translate into actual performance superiority when the lighting is low.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
CC:

What model torque wrench do you use to consistently torque the C clamps of your scope evaluating equipment onto the playground equipment before each scope test? Do you have the torque wrench accuracy tested regularly? Have you done a deflection test on the metal jungle gym support you use? How about the load transfer material underground or the points of connection on the structure? What if a child or group of children are climbing the equipment mid test? I'd assume that even the most stoutly constructed of playground equipment would have a little deflection while in use.

The point is that I've subjected myself to your videos, and now I'm left wondering exactly how you definitively calculated a 1% error in scope adjustment?

FWIW, I've ran a couple SWFA SS, and their adjustment accuracy on my rigs was significantly superior over time to most other brands I've twisted on, and that includes a couple Zeiss offerings, but I don't have experience with the models referenced on this thread.

I sincerely hope the Zeiss in reference proves to be exceedingly tough and track/rtz as well as a couple of other brands. Real competition greatly benefits the consumer.

For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of a CC video, and or anyone who wants to factor his testing results into their optics purchase:

https://youtu.be/V2KIRou49RI

Last edited by Starbuck; 09/26/20.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
1 percent is 1 in a 100.

He did 1 test and plans 99 more. It failed. So 1 in a 100 error!

Blessed to have CC in this community

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You can disagree all you want, but to my eyes and they are old eyes, the Zeiss is better.
For what it is worth (once again to my eyes) my Athlon Midas is better than either one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.