Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Turns out the finish is mostly shellac, it was all alligator skinned and after several applications of denatured alcohol this reduced this. The stock cleaned up so much it looked too light so I put several coats of alkanet root turpentine and linseed oil on it. Then I rubbed in several coats of a slacum mix of varnish, oil, shellac turpentine and wax. I think once I rub it down and wax it it will look pretty good. It will be ready for another 85 years of use.

Last edited by Tejano; 09/13/20.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Where did you get the alkanet root ? Any pictures ?

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Malcolm
Where did you get the alkanet root ? Any pictures ?

Amazon in Canada has it

LINK to Amazon Canada Alkanet Root

That package will colour a lot of stocks...

John

Last edited by jpb; 09/16/20.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanx, I try it. Malcolm..

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Tejano
Turns out the finish is mostly shellac, it was all alligator skinned and after several applications of denatured alcohol this reduced this. The stock cleaned up so much it looked too light so I put several coats of alkanet root turpentine and linseed oil on it. Then I rubbed in several coats of a slacum mix of varnish, oil, shellac turpentine and wax. I think once I rub it down and wax it it will look pretty good. It will be ready for another 85 years of use.

Enjoy the old Iver Johnson. If not completely worn out, they are nice, easy-carrying shotguns.

IC B2

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Mountain Rose Herbs is where I got mine. They have ground and the bark type. Each batch has had a slightly different tone to it so I mixed a couple from different sources together. I also ground some to a really fine powder and mix this with filler so the silica is not lighter in color than the wood.

It is amazing stuff I found that it will penetrate even the bowling alley factory finishes, It brings out the grain so well it is like going one grade up on the stock.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mountain Rose Herbs..... What State are you in ? Maybe I can look them up. I like the reddish tone like those on the old Winchesters.

Thanx , Malcolm.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Malcolm
Mountain Rose Herbs..... What State are you in ? Maybe I can look them up. I like the reddish tone like those on the old Winchesters.

Thanx , Malcolm.

Google: https://mountainroseherbs.com/

Eugene, OR.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
602 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.